Personality Cafe banner

Do you believe a god exists? (INTJs only)

• Yes (I'm an American (USA))

Votes: 23 19.5%
  • Yes (I'm not an American (USA))

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Any other answer (I'm an American (USA))

Votes: 27 22.9%
  • Any other answer (I'm not an American (USA))

Votes: 51 43.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The poll is for INTJs only. I hope others will respect this.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hm....God...
Isn't it an irrelevant topic to discuss...?Or a topic to which one knows there cannot be a yes/no answer.
I live my day to day life as if (s)he doesn't exist....
But asked a specific question as to under which category you come-atheist/agnostic/pantheist etc....I have no answer.
One wishes there was a God,so that one can make some sense out of this pointless phenomena called life...But then one also knows that (s)he doesn't exist in the form which one wants to...
I remember reading Russell once, that any answer that puts God at the starting point can be dismissed asking who created God..
But then things are not as simple as that...

Reactions: stayinggold

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hm....God...
Isn't it an irrelevant topic to discuss...?Or a topic to which one knows there cannot be a yes/no answer.
I live my day to day life as if (s)he doesn't exist....
But asked a specific question as to under which category you come-atheist/agnostic/pantheist etc....I have no answer.
One wishes there was a God,so that one can make some sense out of this pointless phenomena called life...But then one also knows that (s)he doesn't exist in the form which one wants to...
I remember reading Russell once, that any answer that puts God at the starting point can be dismissed asking who created God..
But then things are not as simple as that...
its funny how the same could be said for the big bang, where did all the matter to start the big bang come from?
its for these reasons that im sometimes torn between evolution and religion. however I do know that I am much happier with religion so thats what I go with :tongue:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Regardless of what specific religion people may believe in, it is impossible for humans to grasp the vastness of our universe from the cosmic web all the way down to the interactions of subatomic particles while concurrently trying to weight that with the meaning of life without considering the possibility of God.

To me personally, believing in a God makes all the science behind existence more interesting. Similar to the backdrop of the focal point.

·
Registered
79 Posts
INTPs everywhere.

Hm....God...
Yes. I imagine INTJs to not care not only because there is no empirical data to support the concept and because it's "impossible" to find the answer, but also because it's irrelevant either way, as the quest for understanding isn't appealing to the INTJ so much as it is to the INTP, as the former is generally interested in understanding for the sake of practical application. INTPs on the other hand are interested for the sake of reaching a greater understanding of the universe:
Personality Junkie said:
Because INTPs have Fe rather than Te in their functional stack, their Ne is more drawn to exploring Fe sorts of information. This is why INTPs share much in common with INFJs (who also use Fe and Ti) and tend to be most captivated by things like philosophy, psychology, and religion. The T information INTPs do manage to collect (e.g., scientific or historical facts) is generally done in hopes of furthering their understanding of themselves and human nature.

While INTJs can excel in careers involving real-world evaluation and problem-solving, INTPs prefer work they feel is relevant to their quest for wisdom and self-knowledge. As explained in my recent post on the ideation of NP types, INTPs enjoy using Ne to make broad connection among ideas, an endeavor they find deeply interesting and meaningful. Again, their goal is not necessarily to solve the world’s problems (although this might occur indirectly), but to clarify concepts and conceptual relationships in a way that is personally meaningful and moves them closer to a sense of truth and coherence of thought.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Somewhere between Agnostic and Atheist
So you're an agnostic atheist.

Yes. I imagine INTJs to not care not only because there is no empirical data to support the concept and because it's "impossible" to find the answer, but also because it's irrelevant either way, as the quest for understanding isn't appealing to the INTJ so much as it is to the INTP,
Nailed it.

Reactions: sin and Clyme

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
I'm an atheist, and I'm from Canada.

Somewhere between Agnostic and Atheist
Agnosticism has nothing to do with religion. It's not the "I don't know" position between disbelief and belief. It's a position on the matter of certainty. Agnostics believe absolute certainty is unobtainable whereas Gnostics believe absolute certainty is obtainable. You can have both Agnostic Atheists and Agnostic Theists.

Atheism is not the belief that no gods exist. It is the lack of acceptance that a god does exist. If you're unsure of whether a god exists, then you're an atheist as you haven't accepted that one does. If you believe a god does not exist, then you're also an atheist. Atheism is simply the lack of theism.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a meditation practice that takes me deeply into a realm I call God. It's an experience; not a belief.

Before I found meditation, around age 27, I couldn't get past the idea that belief seemed illogical. As a child I was taken to church, and I heard that all believers would be "saved." I wondered how to get from not believing to believing, so I could be saved. Should I PRETEND to believe? Was it just a choice, like picking a yellow t-shirt instead of a blue one? I was stymied by trying to figure it out logically. What I experience now in meditation isn't logic or emotion. It's transcendental. Wait a minute -- Shouldn't "transcendental" mean across your teeth?? ;-)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Clyme makes a great point on the distinction between agnostic/gnostic and atheist/theist. The misuse of the distinction has bothered me for some time.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
Good point on the distinction between agnostic/gnostic and atheist/theist. The misuse of the distinction has bothered me for some time.
Agreed. I find that many people misunderstand the term "agnostic" and use it as the polite way of avoiding the controversy entirely. Many people also don't understand that atheism is not a belief. It is not the belief that no gods exist. It is a position whereby one hasn't accepted a theistic doctrine. I myself am an atheist, yet make no attempts to say that no gods exist. I find that the evidence does not support a god nor any theistic doctrine tied to that notion, and as such, I'm an atheist. I do not however assert that a deity is impossible. I will readily accept that as a likely fact of reality if the evidence should ever support that. As of now though, no such evidence exists (to my knowledge).

·
Jaffa Master
7,575 Posts
Agreed. I find that many people misunderstand the term "agnostic" and use it as the polite way of avoiding the controversy entirely. Many people also don't understand that atheism is not a belief. It is not the belief that no gods exist. It is a position whereby one hasn't accepted a theistic doctrine. I myself am an atheist, yet make no attempts to say that no gods exist. I find that the evidence does not support a god nor any theistic doctrine tied to that notion, and as such, I'm an atheist. I do not however assert that a deity is impossible. I will readily accept that as a likely fact of reality if the evidence should ever support that. As of now though, no such evidence exists (to my knowledge).
This statement needs to be broadcast around the globe.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts