Personality Cafe banner

Do you believe in some form of psychic ability?

• Yes

Votes: 43 54.4%
  • No

Votes: 26 32.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 10 12.7%
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's set the stage...

It's Halloween evening, 2010. I'm sitting in my dorm surfing on my computer, when I see an ad for a free 5 minute psychic reading. I think, "what the hell, it's Halloween... and I'm curious. As long as they don't make me subscribe to some monthly service, what's the harm?"

I follow the link, and I find a pyschic who seems to resonate with me in some way. (if you're curious, it was Bridget: Psychic Online - Love Horoscopes - Tarot Readings | CaliforniaPsychics.com )

Long story short, Bridget and I start our conversation. After telling her my birth date and time, I explain to her my romantic situation (or lack thereof). I have never been in a relationship, and I want to know when one might come along.

Bridget says she sees that I have a very old soul (which I do), and that when it comes to relationships I take love very seriously (again, quite true). She says she sees a man coming into my life in Spring of 2011. Lo and behold, a man is currently coming into my life... and our first meeting will be during spring break. She details a few things about this man, which at this point seem to be spot on.

The preceding conversation takes all of three minutes. Since I have two minutes left, Bridget asks if I have any other questions. I say something like, "not that I can think of right now - but do you see anything else for me?"

Bridget tells me that 2010 has been a very stagnant year for me (which it had, verrry stagnant, no matter how hard I tried to stir up excitement) and that basically I spent that entire year spiritually preparing for the extreme growth that would happen this year.

What she said then is seriously ringing true for me right now. I feel I have grown more in the past couple of months than I had in the past year and a half before that... honestly, I feel like my mind should be experiencing growing pains from how fast I am learning and maturing.

Now, I'm not going back to Bridget, because that promotion is over and she costs freaking $4.50 a minute. But it does really make me wonder about psychic ability. I know INFJs, with our superior Ni, can be prone to believe quite wholeheartedly in this sort of thing (Goodewitch, I'm looking at you), but a side of me (Ti?) has always said, "no way, it's got to be a scam." Over the past few months though, I've been feeling differently. I've grown spiritually as well... and... I'm looking upward.

Now, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I do believe in God, and consider myself to be Christian. But I don't rule out the possibility that God would gift certain people with superior insight into other's lives - and futures. After all, who were the prophets but blabbering special psychics?

What do you think? Were Bridget's insights just lucky, or might she have a gift? Do you believe in psychic ability? I daresay, even, have psychic ability?

Or do you think this is all a bunch of crock?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I figure most psychics are like the man Simon Baker plays on The Mentalist -- just very perceptive, able to pick out very small details and draw large conclusions from them... and make lots of fame and money off that. (Until their wife and kids get murdered by Red John, onoes!)

But I do think, if psychic powers do exist, surely there are some good-hearted psychics who just want to help others (while making a living)... after all, people come in all sorts.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have what is called, Extreme Intuition. The same as having a moment of intuition, but on a much more extreme level. And this doesn't mean I will have details, I will just have a introverted feeling and or intuitive feeling. It just comes to me, I don't choose to know.

Edit: Just re-wrote my whole post lol.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Well, I think some people are very intuitive, and also adept at reading certain signals in people - whether it be the tone of voice, body language, or eye movements. These people make great charlatans, or entertainers.

On the other hand, I do believe there is a collective unconscious, in which pretty much all information that is held within society is contained. Most people in the world aren't within a huge degree of separation from anyone else. The cues from above are usually stored unconsciously or subconsciously and transmitted, albeit in a more subtler form, from person to person. Human society is, in a way, an entity in itself. Truly intuitive people who are more in touch with their subconscious and unconscious sides may be able to extract information from this, and in a more natural way, deduce what has happened or what may yet come.

That's rare in this day and age, as few truly listen to what their subconscious and unconscious tells them. Even if they do, translating such information into more modern conscious, rational thought may prove difficult. INFJ's, and to a somewhat lesser extent INTJ's might be more adept at such things due to reliance on Ni. The upper hand given to INFJ because Fe deals with social constructs.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I will say, personally, I have been known to "read people's minds" and complete other's sentences... but I still feel there is usually a logical reason for me knowing what they are thinking/about to say.

I have shared in another thread a feeling that I can reach out to people from afar... and my intuition is usually very adept at understanding other people....

But seeing someone's future - and the past - in specific detail, without lead? I can't claim any talent at all at that sort of thing... though I have had feelings that certain friends were meant for greatness, that's probably just because I love them so much...

See, this actually goes hand in hand with my curiosity about others with psychic ability. Do I, in fact, have some kind of untapped, incredibly powerful potential, with which I could learn so much, if only I knew how to use it (or listen to it)?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Oh, I will say, personally, I have been known to "read people's minds" and complete other's sentences... but I still feel there is usually a logical reason for me knowing what they are thinking/about to say.

I have shared in another thread a feeling that I can reach out to people from afar... and my intuition is usually very adept at understanding other people....

But seeing someone's future - and the past - in specific detail, without lead? I can't claim any talent at all at that sort of thing... though I have had feelings that certain friends were meant for greatness, that's probably just because I love them so much...

See, this actually goes hand in hand with my curiosity about others with psychic ability. Do I, in fact, have some kind of untapped, incredibly powerful potential, with which I could learn so much, if only I knew how to use it (or listen to it)?
It's likely you're some type of mind reader. I mean I can intuitively understand people and things, without previous knowledge or teaching of it. Not to mention knowing future events based on peoples actions or a situation.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yes, you have untapped, incredibly powerful potential. Most do. Look inside as well as out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yeah, I figure most psychics are like the man Simon Baker plays on The Mentalist -- just very perceptive, able to pick out very small details and draw large conclusions from them... and make lots of fame and money off that. (Until their wife and kids get murdered by Red John, onoes!)

But I do think, if psychic powers do exist, surely there are some good-hearted psychics who just want to help others (while making a living)... after all, people come in all sorts.
Don't forget Cal Lightman from, Lie To Me! Love that show. :)

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
"What she said then is seriously ringing true for me right now. I feel I have grown more in the past couple of months than I had in the past year and a half before that... honestly, I feel like my mind should be experiencing growing pains from how fast I am learning and maturing."

Girl, that aint nothin. Learnin is often easy, but what about when we've got to cut out our addictions and bad habits that keep us from bein the people we deep down know we got in us?

And worryin about some boy. How's that good? :)

As far as ESP. Hey, can you prove it either way?

For mysticism, I enjoyed the Celestine Prophecy. Now I like chanting chakra type of meditation, and prayer.

Ya made a call, and it greatly effected your life. In martial arts class, some teachers say that if I just relax and gather my chi, that I will almost "magically" be able to fight well. Well that is true and it isn't.

We need a healthy dose of the romantic magic in life, as well as a knowledge of logic and the mechanics of how things work.

Ya know enough from these forums to know people could pull off what that psychic did without any kind of ESP.

Don't mean she don't have it though, if thats important to you.

I can definitey relate to trying to prove things that I need faith to stand by.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Apparently some psychiatrists long time ago have noted that a few of their patients in metal wards were actually able to see some parts of reality much clearer than normal people. Unfortunately that also significantly skewed their reasoning making them unable to function in the society. But imagine having that kind of ability plus retaining enough sanity to lead a normal life. That would make you a genius or in some cases a psychic depending on what you can see. So I think it is quite possible for a person to have this sort of seemingly supernatural abilities.

In my home country the writings and prophecies of this woman are popular: Vanga. She sounds like a highly intuitive person. She lost her eyesight at an early age and shortly after developed her psychic abilities. Supposedly she could know the names of your dead relatives in immediate family though as a blind semi-illiterate person she couldn't have access to a computer to research for that kind of information of course. Among the predictions she has made I remember one was that bees will be dying out. About 5 years ago I used to purchase this special kind of honey from the local store. At one point it has disappeared along with many other specialty honeys that they sold. When I asked about it they told me that the beefarms were apparently not supplying them. When I looked those beefarms up they were having trouble with production. As it is well known now there is some sort of fungus that is infecting bee colonies everywhere. I thought it was interesting that Vanga said that at one point.

Although some of her predictions did not come true. She has predicted World War III to begin on Nov 2010 which as we know it hasn't, unless the recent uprisings in Egypt and surrounding countries will spill over into greater conflict. In this war supposedly she said big calamities between Muslims and Europeans will be involved, with nuclear and chemical weapon use, and Europe will suffer greatly from it. And then she said China will become superpower at the end cuz everybody else will be wasted and the "exploiters will become the exploited" :)

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I know what people are going to say before they do or what they feel before they know they feel it. I sometimes surprise them by cutting it short and saying what they actually want to say before they say it ^^...makes sense?

I usually feel down or stressed or something at the same time as my significant other, I don't know why but I discover the reasons the next day while talking with her. I get "bad feelings" before something bad happens.

I have a quick grasp of other people, their tendencies and am mostly right about it, but I fail at reading myself. x.x it's why my profile says I'm an ENFP right now.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I know what people are going to say before they do or what they feel before they know they feel it. I sometimes surprise them by cutting it short and saying what they actually want to say before they say it ^^...makes sense?

I usually feel down or stressed or something at the same time as my significant other, I don't know why but i discover the reasons the nest day while talking with her. I gat "bad feelings" before something bad happens.

I have a quick grasp of other people, their tendencies and am mostly right about it, but I fail at reading myself. x.x it's why my profile says I'm an ENFP right now.
I recently had a bad feeling about some friends of mine, and soon after, there was a little conflict between them. But, it's over now, thankfully.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I would say I have more a desire to believe in psychic ability/the occult than an actual belief. I have an astrologer whom I see about every two years. I also sometimes use tarot cards, not because I believe they have any power of their own, but because I believe I often already have an answer to my own question somewhere deep inside, and the cards act as a Rorschach test to bring it out.

When I was young, I watched my mother have an experience with a psychic that fixed my fascination with the topic forever. She hid a piece of jewelry (a ring) she was afraid of having stolen by some less-than-trustworthy friends who were visiting (I'm pretty sure she's an ENFP, so she has friends of all kinds), but when the friends left, she saw that the jewelry was gone. She called my grandmother, who oddly enough suggested a psychic. I was eight years old and I was sitting right there while my mother made the phone call.

She did not give the psychic any identifying information. She simply told her that she wanted to know which of her friends had stolen her ring. The psychic told her it wasn't stolen and to look in her dresser. My mother hung up the phone and went to her dresser, but couldn't find anything. She called back, and the psychic said, "No, you have two dressers. You need to look in the tall one, in the third drawer." My mother walked over to her tall dresser, and started pulling clothes out of the third drawer. The third piece of clothing she pulled out was a sock, and she tugged it so forcefully that her ring, which had been resting on it, went sailing across the room. It's pretty typical of my mom to hide something herself and then forget where she hid it, but I remember her just standing there silently, in disbelief, for a full minute. I have never been able to forget this.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hey Jasette, :)
I would suggest that when looking for a good psychic,. you ask of them the following things.. can they read for you without seeing you,.. ad without any information other than a first name with which to adress you by. This cuts out any cold reading, or cues from body language etc.
Next is accuracy. Are the things the psychic tells you applicable to almost anyone? Things like work, relationships health, are common themes for all humans, they must show a level of accuracy and personalisaton that leaves no doubt in your mind that this is for you, and you alone.
The most important one,.. can the psychic give you details of future events, that neither you nor they could ordinarillyKnow? Of course, this is only something you can know once the thing happens. Again, make sure its detailed and accurate enough to only apply to you.
Eg..A woman phones a psychic gives her name only..Psychic tells her, you're an actress, you will get a work offer in about 2 weeks time.. it involves radio, and theres an image of an octopus in there concerning this job. Actress rings back 3 weeks later and says she been offered a part on a radio programme for children, and her part is playing a character who is an octopus.
Thats the sort of personalised detail and accuracy you should be looking for,..or even better accuracy, if you can find it. Dont settle for less than that. That way, you know that psychic is tapping into the Universal consciousness, as opposed to reading 'you' so to speak.
G. x

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Our minds analyze so much data it doesn't even compare to what a computer does, it is so much better than a computer. Our minds have unlimited potential so I believe our minds actually analyze the data presented so well we pick up on the design and pattern of things that will translate into "perception" and prophecy of the future. Deja Vu.....

A lot of times this can be tapped into and others it just shows up in our minds. In any event it's not "known" until the event actually occurs to know something mysterious has happened.

Reactions: diverged

·
Registered
10 Posts
TBH I think the Forer Effect is a lot more likely than psychic abilities. I don't mean to offend, but I have a hard time believing people who say their Ni "just knows" things, unless I am misinterpreting what they mean by "just knowing."

Edit: I voted for No, but then I remembered what I read about Nina Kulagina. I guess I believe psychic abilities exist, though they are *extremely* rare and poorly understood. Like.. My ESFP friend believes that his "aura" or something like that causes streetlights to flicker and turn off randomly. If you search hard enough for anything, eventually you'll find it, or at least convince yourself you have

·
Banned
23 Posts
TBH I think the Forer Effect is a lot more likely than psychic abilities. I don't mean to offend, but I have a hard time believing people who say their Ni "just knows" things, unless I am misinterpreting what they mean by "just knowing."
I tend to agree with you there. I definitely believe that there are those out there with psychic abilities, but personally I have never felt that I had the gift.

Those of you who feel that you have strong intuition or psychic ability, have you always had this? I definitely have impressions on people and situations, but I always thought my level of intuition was "normal". Could I just be unaware of the extent to which my abilities exceed the norm, or am I stifling them?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts