Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do... to an extent. I think some people are destined to varying amounts of things.

I believe I am destined to be an accomplished artist (Not famous, just accomplished. I know things will work out). This is something I'm just so sure of.

Now do I know if I'm destined to find a husband, to be a mother? To own my own studio? To travel, to influence? I don't know. Time will tell- it might happen, it might not. I don't think I'm particularly "destined" to have these things, but that doesn't mean that it won't happen.

I can feel my future, almost. I don't think you always can be so sure of something, or that you always know your destiny, but I think maybe sometimes you do.

Do you believe in destiny? Do you know if you're destined to do something?

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
No I don't believe in destiny at all. Everybody is in control of their lives and they can make possible whatever future they desire.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You are a reflection of your brain (a disparate and independently functional collection of neurons) and subject to your environment...

Think deeply about this and then tell me if free will exists and, by extent, does destiny.

·
Banned
3,277 Posts
Destiny | Official Site of Destiny the Game

Yes, and its so much fun :wink:

But seriously, I'm a sucker for fate, but it always seems to get me all googly eyed then slaps me in the face and laughs as it walks away. Fate is a bitch, and she keeps making me a fool

·
Registered
6 Posts
I didnt believe in destiny until i came up with this logic:

Can we all be what we want?

In a realistic sense, no we can't. We can't be all musicians, actors, billionaires, casanovas, charming or not we want to be those. so yeah i believe in destiny and that each of us have their own paths to choose from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's all just one jumbled mess, luck, actions and reactions.

The only thing you're destined to be is yourself. What you choose to do with what you have is yours.

·
Premium Member
15,280 Posts
After I looked up the definition, I'm going to say no.

noun, plural destinies.

1.something that is to happen or has happened to a particular person or thing; lot or fortune.

2.the predetermined, usually inevitable or irresistible, course of events.

3.the power or agency that determines the course of events.

4.(initial capital letter) this power personified or represented as a goddess.

5.the Destinies, the Fates.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
I don't believe in destiny, I really can't believe that a higher entity or a cosmic force has decided the path of my life and that I have zero influence whatsoever. Doesn't mean that it can't be true, maybe a divine power is reading my message right now and thinks 'You naive little human.' Hope not...
@domain90 Can you perhaps elaborate on your statement, because I don't understand. You say you believe that we have paths to choose from. But isn't the point of destiny that you have nothing to choose? No matter how you lead your life, you will end up at a certain point.

Also: some people love to become an accountant, lawyer, cleric or police officer and lots of them actually manage to get into those professions.
@morpheusx66 In theory I can think, do, decide whatever the hell I like. No limits. However in practice....little bit different. My culture and my social environments can influence my cognition. Programming in my brain that certain thoughts are unwanted and that I shouldn't have them. Or that I cannot make certain decisions. But the great thing about the brain is that it can be re-programmed. You can get rid of those artificial limitations in your cognition.

Some people, folks suffering from the more severe mental disorders, are not entirely in control of their brain and in those cases you can say that they do not have 100% free will. In a healthy individual, I am comfortable in saying that we have almost 100% free will.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't believe in destiny on the sole basis that destiny has not been proven to be a real force (it probably can't be proven). To a certain extent, we do control our futures, but external forces also play a role; that can not be denied.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Destiny = predeterminism (including predestination and fate), or
Destiny = determinism (every event occurring as an effect of a prior cause)?

Some video thoughts:

Gene Wilder in a scene from Young Frankenstein

Rush, Freewill

Crispin Glover had this to say in Back to the Future
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=s7A5xLk3hIs#t=54

And of course Ewan McGregor in Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith
@Sargon
It seems to be some sort of both/and rather than either/or (cf. Romans 3:23 and Romans 8:28b-30).

The 1997 David Fincher movie The Game examines the idea of how predestination might be working itself out in the presence of actual choice.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't believe in destiny, I really can't believe that a higher entity or a cosmic force has decided the path of my life and that I have zero influence whatsoever. Doesn't mean that it can't be true, maybe a divine power is reading my message right now and thinks 'You naive little human.' Hope not...
@domain90 Can you perhaps elaborate on your statement, because I don't understand. You say you believe that we have paths to choose from. But isn't the point of destiny that you have nothing to choose? No matter how you lead your life, you will end up at a certain point.

Also: some people love to become an accountant, lawyer, cleric or police officer and lots of them actually manage to get into those professions.
@morpheusx66 In theory I can think, do, decide whatever the hell I like. No limits. However in practice....little bit different. My culture and my social environments can influence my cognition. Programming in my brain that certain thoughts are unwanted and that I shouldn't have them. Or that I cannot make certain decisions. But the great thing about the brain is that it can be re-programmed. You can get rid of those artificial limitations in your cognition.

Some people, folks suffering from the more severe mental disorders, are not entirely in control of their brain and in those cases you can say that they do not have 100% free will. In a healthy individual, I am comfortable in saying that we have almost 100% free will.
I actually believe that free will is an illusion because the idea of the "self", or a unified agent in the brain making the final decision of things is just a perceptual construct. The brain is a disparate series of processes that can be independently interrupted. This isn't a fringe belief either but very commonly held in neuroscience and philosophy of mind (and, strangely enough, Buddhism). Of course, it doesn't mean anything in practical terms and should not be met with a sense of helplessness or passivity, rather we are just riding a wave of causality.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I believe that certain things are meant to happen, it's just in how they happen is where our control over it comes in. We are all destined to get older, become more experienced in life and die. It is the matter of how this comes to be that we have a say in the matter. Life is full of cycles where everything repeats itself over and over in varying circumstances.

So in short, yes I do believe in destiny or fate, though only to a certain extent.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Hopefully I was predetermined to be a loser and I am not actually a loser. :cool:

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
10 Posts
I definitely believe in destiny... I believe everyone on earth has a purpose, one person's may be to wave at another person and brighten their day while another person's may be to create the most magnificent art the world has ever seen. I think there are people in this world we are each individually destined to meet. People who change you for the better and who you connect with on such a deeper level.

We each come to earth to grow and leave earth a stronger and more fulfilled person. It is up to the human to overcome desire and their ego in order to truly begin living the path of their soul's destiny.

I'm sorry if this is all jumbled, not gonna lie I am pretty stoned right now. Just within the past six months my life has fallen into place in such a crazy way, I went from studying architecture at a school I didn't enjoy to now studying illustration at a school I love. I feel like 2015 is going to be such a magical year, and I feel like I am going to continue watching my world settle into itself. The world is quite a magical place, it's almost impossible to deny.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts