Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to hunt down my Fi lately. I don’t believe in things being either good or bad so please don’t approach these questions as “are you a good or a bad person” but rather “are you a good person”. And please elaborate, yes and no answers don’t really contribute to the discussion.

1. What is a good person like to you?

2. Would you consider yourself to be a good person?

3. How important is it for you to be a good person?

4. Do you consider your friends to be good people? Does it matter to you whether they are or not?

5. Do you think not being a good person makes your life less meaningful or wortht the while?

6. Do you ever think about stuff like this?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I struggle to define good. I vaguely associate it with impractical selflessness.

So with that loose definition in mind...

Someone who would sacrifice their own potential to realize the potential of others.

Nope. I tend to engage in selfish behaviors more than selfless ones.

Relatively low. I content myself with minimizing the amount of harm I'm the direct cause of. I like breaking things if the reward is good. Occasionally I'll break things for the sake of breaking them if the consequences are low. Rarely do I break things to be deliberately malicious.

4. Do you consider your friends to be good people? Does it matter to you whether they are or not?
No, and to be honest, I'd probably get bored of someone too "good". People's demons are what make them interesting to me.

5. Do you think not being a good person makes your life less meaningful or wortht the while?
Nope. I don't attach much meaning to my life to begin with. And I don't mean that in the depressive way, just to be clear.

Yes. I've been nursing an interest in ethics and morality for a while now but haven't had the time to source some "general overview" material. If anyone knows a good place to start, drop me a rec, plz. I'll love you 5evar.

·
Registered
68 Posts
friend, be more "feeling introverted" do not make you a good person, and the questions, there is no such thing as right and wrong, people say that "good" is you You do what people want you to do (like giving something without him ask)but you think about what you want to do, while "bad" is when a person does what he likes and not what you like to the other peoples, in short words, good and evil are totally selfish concepts.

greetings and be yourself ;)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
1. There are no good or bad people, it's just what you show to the world. There is no "good person" spirit, that comes from nature and nurture equally.

2. No, but there are a lot of external factors affecting that. I'm a better person than I was before though.

3. Not very important, as long as I have friends who actually like me and enjoy my company rather than ones who'd only spend time with be to gain any kind of an advantage.

4. Some are, some aren't. Doesn't really matter to be honest - it's actually easier with those who aren't, I feel like we're equals.

5. No, you can do good things without necessarily being a good person. There are so many factors affecting it, really. Even if you weren't a bad one it's very likely you're not good either.

6. All the time:D What else would I do with my free time? Be productive, maybe...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
friend, be more "feeling introverted" do not make you a good person, and the questions, there is no such thing as right and wrong, people say that "good" is you You do what people want you to do (like giving something without him ask)but you think about what you want to do, while "bad" is when a person does what he likes and not what you like to the other peoples, in short words, good and evil are totally selfish concepts.

greetings and be yourself ;)
Thanks for your reply!

I meant "So I've been trying to hunt down my Fi lately" to be a brief explanation of why I'm curious about this issue, obviously there are no functions that would make one automatically a better person.

As I said, I wanted people to approach these questions from the point of view of someone being good without contrasting good with bad. I find your approach quite simplistic, but I guess you can look at it from that point of view as well :)

I've lately had a feeling that I am not a good person and I don't like that since I generally like myself very much. I'm trying to figure out what prevents me from being a good person and if this is something I would actually want to change. Sometimes development requires change and this may be one of those times.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts

Someone who would sacrifice their own potential to realize the potential of others.
^^^^^ This

An unhesitating no. While a purely good person is everyone's idealization, I came to the realization long ago that no one is fundamentally good or evil, but that the bits that we have within us are are colored with our own self-interests.

Learning about Enneagram and realizing that I have an 8 and 4 fix, I've been trying to work more in the direction of integration and am feeling an increasingly greater need to be a more moral person.

I consider my friends to have both an angelic and demonic side to them, which is what makes them fully human and thus, interesting people.

5. Do you think not being a good person makes your life less meaningful or worth the while?
No real response.

Ethics and philosophy in general does make for an interesting topic to think about.

Reactions: desinys

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've lately had a feeling that I am not a good person and I don't like that since I generally like myself very much. I'm trying to figure out what prevents me from being a good person and if this is something I would actually want to change. Sometimes development requires change and this may be one of those times.
While probably not function related, I find the portion interesting.

How do you personally define goodness and what motivates you to become it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you personally define goodness and what motivates you to become it?
I have thought about this but not yet formed a proper opinion myself, which is the reason I’m asking you guys (need some inspiration). I just know which of my friends are “good people” and which aren’t. The common pattern I’ve found so far is that good people support others without asking anything in return and do it because for them it’s the right (and only) thing to do. People who are genuinely kind without any hidden agendas. That would also explain why I feel like I’m not a good person – I am an extremely committed friend and would sacrifice myself for my friends if it came down to that, but only because it’s a good deal and only as long as I’ll be profiting from it in the long run.

I don’t believe in selflessness – after all we are humans and it’s part of our nature. So that’s not what I mean, the best word to describe a good person would be someone with kind intentions. I don’t believe any actions can be classified as good or bad: a serial killer can be a good person as long as they fit the description above, their way of supporting others would be killing them because he thought that is what the person needs. And yes, good and bad are completely subjective concepts, as my example demonstrates.

I lately came to the conclusion that it doesn’t really matter what I’m going to achieve in my life after all. Part of the reason I’ve always had high goals was to impress others and prevent them from having power over me ever again. The problem is I don’t really care that much about what other people think about me and I don’t think anyone can truly have power over another person unless they allow it and I’ve never had any trouble with saying no. Thus I started wondering if there is any way to make my life matter, and thought of being a good person as a possibility. Somehow I feel that everything I will achieve will be worthless unless I am a good person – I don’t know why, this is just the feeling I’ve had lately. I get feelings like these pretty rarely and thus consider them to be pretty important.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
From one Te user to another, don't try to use Fi reasoning for this ;) The only way I can wrap my mind around "good" and "bad" is based on instrumentality. Something (or someone) that is serving its purpose is good, for those purposes. It's really a case-by-case thing, based on individual actions. Simple example is that a highly respected public figure can do one "bad" thing and it'll ruin their reputation. Deciding they are now a bad person based on one slip, is of course irrational (depends on what exactly they've done, though). Point is, you have to tally up their bad actions vs. their good actions. If someone is a decent human being 9 times out of 10, then they are more of a good person than they are a bad person. I don't believe in absolutes myself. At least not absolute good. Absolute evil may very well exist ;)

It all sounds very cold (or at least, to anyone other than NTJ's, lol) but emotional significance, for me, usually comes from results. Benefits > Costs = good. Costs > benefits = bad.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
Honestly? No. Because I've had enough exposure to people to realise that on the whole people aren't 'good'. And by that I mean full of qualities that you'd generally like and enjoy. People have an element of good and there's definately an enjoyment to people. But they are full of so many other things which aren't enjoyable that I just gave up trying to answer the other 4 questions.

I do not think I am good people, I just think I am who I am. I have some definately awful traits about me and the enjoyable bits are fairly fleeting and sporadic. Do I want to eventually climb out of the mire of my awful traits, why yes I do, and I hope I succeed in some small way. But overall the enormity of being just majority good stuff is too big to achieve in a lifetime. My humanity is one area where I have conceded to being mediocre.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Someone who, if they do harm, doesn't do it intentionally.

Yes and no.
In a way, I am what you would define 'good': I help people I care about or that I feel need the most help (disabled people, children...) when I can, I would like to find a way to make the world a better place, and stuff like that.
But on the other side, I can be very critical and mean, even cruel when I am upset, and some of the means I would use to make the world a better place wouldn't really be good, since they include things such as physical elimination of people I deem toxic.
I won't even consider the 'dark thoughts' that cross my mind at times, because I think pretty much everyone gets them from time to time, it's a part of being human and as soon as you don't act on it, it's fine.

As long as it doesn't damage me, I'll go for it. Unlike what might seem at first sight, I'd rather be good than evil, even though I'm not sure I succeed.

As I stated before, to me someone who's good is someone who doesn't cause harm intentionally. And in that respect, yes, my friends are good people.
I've had people who I thought were friends who hurt others intentionally, and I burned bridges with them.

Again, back to question no. 1.
To be considered 'good' by me you don't need to have a life goal such as world peace or extinguishing poverty or becoming a missionary; your goal might just be wanting to live your own, peaceful life away from the world and/or with the ones you love. That doesn't harm anyone; why should you not be seen as 'good'?
But to be honest I see no meaning in wanting to intentionally hurt other people just for the sake of it. What's the point?

Not really. To me really few things are black and white; almost everything is gray, ethically speaking.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A good person hates malice, or the unprovoked intent to do harm. All other traits are ambiguous to me; this one is clear. Compassion may be another.

By the above definition, yes. Not that I don't do harm or sometimes have the intent of harming, but it's provoked. Malice, to me, is an unnecessary and optional desire to do harm. This I have never experienced.

It's not something that concerns me in daily life. I'm naturally not malicious in even a moderate degree. I do strive to be more actively kind, and to go out of my way to act on my compassions.

Generally and roughly, yeah. Yes, it matters, but only because I would be directly affected by malice in people I surround myself with. I don't have an ideological reason of being friends with Good People.

Being a bad person will limit the span of your life experience. It's a superficial answer, but I'm not sure about meaning and worth to begin with, so I'm not even sure how to frame this one.

I often spend a lot of time thinking about Question 1. The more I think about Question 1 and the murkier the answer becomes, I find, the more I try to avoid Question 2.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Someone who is utilitarian by nature.

Based on my definition, yes. By society's definition, no.

It's important in the sense that I seek to create better in my interpretation. Fuzzy shit like giving to the homeless, I could care less.

I don't have many friends. Most of them I would not consider to be good society wise. Most of them step on people that are weaker than they are. I don't really care what they do.

No. It is what you do in life, not what you don't. Whether your contribution is positive or negative is up to perception. If I kill someone apparently I'm a bad person. If that person was Osama Bin Laden, all of a sudden I'm a hero. Perception of good and evil does not make sense for the basis of decision making. If I could justify it in my head, I would do it.

No. I don't believe in good and evil. It does not exist.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
So I've been trying to hunt down my Fi lately. I don’t believe in things being either good or bad so please don’t approach these questions as “are you a good or a bad person” but rather “are you a good person”. And please elaborate, yes and no answers don’t really contribute to the discussion.

1: Generally, I believe a good person is somebody who works towards the health of others and who seeks to reduce the suffering of others. I would further extend this to other conscious creatures as well (e.g., animals). People who work towards the health of animals and who seek the reduction of their suffering are also good in my opinion. There are certainly grey areas and there are not always black-and-white answers, but the underlying principle is harm reduction and the promotion of well-being. I would further say that intention plays an important role as well.

2. I would, yes, because I seek to abide by what I believe a good person is. This was not always the case though, and earlier in life, I had little regard for being a good person. I believed I was quite an awful person, and I was.

3: It's fairly important to me. I'm not sure what I would necessarily compare it to, but I think that on a scale of 1-10, I'd rate the value of goodness to be about an 8. My significant other takes more precedence though and I'd sacrifice goodness if it were to some great benefit of hers. By this, I mean that I'd be inclined to save her life at the expense of others.

4: My only friends are my significant other and my friend from a few years ago (in meat-world, anyway). My significant other is a terribly good person and it is her that has taught me to tune into these sorts of feelings. My other friend is a well-intentioned, caring, and empathetic person. There are some areas of difficulty, such as social awareness in areas of racism, gender inequality, and so forth, but he comes by it honestly. Rather than being a poor-intentioned individual, he merely has not had the experience or awareness to see the error of some of his ways. He is not a cruel person, but his humor lacks a particular social awareness and refinement.

5: No, not particularly. I never found meaning in goodness before and I doubt that I'd find meaning it it again. I may value it greatly, but I could not derive a sense of purpose from it. What gives my life meaning is my relationship with my significant other. Second to that is learning about the universe. I would like to say that it does give my life meaning, but I do not care for lies. It unfortunately would not. That said, it does not mean that I don't value it significantly - I do.

6: I spend most of my days in the depths of thought. This topic has come up a lot, of course. I do, however, greatly appreciate when threads like these are posted because it allows me to clarify my thoughts, explore them more deeply, and also appreciate the perspectives of others as well. Thank you for that.

I hope this sufficiently answers your questions.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
It's a person who can succeed in life, but still keep their morals intact.

I don't think I'm a full good person due to the fact that I sometimes will do something heinous to win at something. I also can be really petty and easily envious of those who are better than me in something I desire.

That being said, I respect my parents and superiors a lot. I also take great pride in doing hard work and believe in fair play. In regards to others, I believe that everybody is capable of doing something productive in society (AKA I don't believe anybody is fully stupid).

For me, I consider it somewhat important, though I put my own stability above morality.

I think they're relatively good. I also care whether they are good-natured because I don't want to be associated with a dishonest lot.

5. Do you think not being a good person makes your life less meaningful or worth the while?
Maybe to a certain extent. To be honest, I haven't thought of this question carefully in my own life. I just have too much going on at the moment.

I kind of think about questions like this since being moral helps one's reputation. It's a pragmatic way of looking at being a "good" person.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Open minded and open hearted. Nurturing and stimulating to people around them.
Getting there, my mind is pretty open by now but my heart needs some work. My greatest goal in life is to help others understand and grow.
Very.
Only some of them. It doesn't matter as much because I can learn from just about anyone.
I suppose even destructive people have a purpose, it's just not what I strive to be so it's entirely subjective.
Quite often, yes.

·
Registered
60 Posts

I don't believe in that, I'll take a line from warhammer for a moment. This doesn't encompasse everything I think on the matter of "good" people not existing, if you want more you may pm me. "There is no such thing as innocence, only varying degrees of guilt"

I'm a recovering alcoholic. I like music games and anime, I enjoy hanging out with a few people. I tell people exactly what needs to be said. I don't do baby talk, to humans large or small. Unless you're my significant other, I carry double standards but in order to qualify you must first break past my original standards for people. If you break my standards after qualifying yourself I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and reevaluate both myself and you. I turn into the worst person in your line of sight when I'm worked up and drinking a magic potion.

I find such things commendable but pointless and ill-guided.

My friends fit whatever it is I have them in my life for. Their "goodness" seems to me a shallow thing to base a relationship on with someone you're devoting precious time to. Time that is your life, that goes away in the end.

This would imply there to be a reason for people existing. I can tell you the reason I exist is because a 21 year old refused to use a condom when having sex with a 16 year old. I give my life whatever purpose I find worthy, may others do the same.

I wrote good and evil off as concepts sometime around 16.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts