Personality Cafe banner

Do you believe the Myers Briggs Personality Theory works?

• Yes

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Its flattering but I don't believe in it.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needed a new poll since the other one is old. Anyways, like the title says do you believe in the Myers Briggs Personality Theory?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I doubt it works. Probably lives in the basement of its mother's house.
Most likely it collects social security.
At least, it tries to reduce social insecurity.

·
Banned
389 Posts
I don't think it should be approached as a be all end all for personality descriptions. But ti is a handy tool, and you can definitely see irrefutable patterns between people of the same type. Combined with stuff like the Enneagram system and a few well-chosen adjectives, I think it works well. But stand-alone, I'd opt for "Somewhat"

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Work how? To understand people? You need to specify.

But anyway, no, it doesn't work to help you understand other people. Getting to know a person inside and out by spending time with them will help you more then the mbti.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Enneagram rhymes with bligrunamagaflucalacan

I don't think it should be approached as a be all end all for personality descriptions. But ti is a handy tool, and you can definitely see irrefutable patterns between people of the same type. Combined with stuff like the Enneagram system and a few well-chosen adjectives, I think it works well. But stand-alone, I'd opt for "Somewhat"
I'm an enneagram 4, but I haven't seen other INFPs here say they were 4s and I've heard that most INFPs are 4s

·
Registered
47 Posts
oh yes it works, and it works the same way other typologies work, it gives you an approachable angle from where to get to know a person better.
Of course there is no absolute system, and hey there will never be, so stop looking for a perfect system; indiviluals are exactly what the word implies, unique.

Still Cognitive Process Theory is very accurate, and it does help, the way PNL helps, it helps people to communicate in the same language; of course ther will always be people with internal problems that will have a hard time accepting such a system, this shouldn't be a problem at all, since most people like to think the best of themselves, and must neglect a description implying anything that they dislike. Others like to think of themselves as too unique, or undescribable. The truth is it doesn't matter whether your personality type is rare, or common; but i guess there will be always SUPER EGO users :crazy: and CHE GEVARAS :tongue:

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Yes, I think it works, but it depends on the purpose for which you intend to use it. I also think that it works better when combined with other psychological classification resources. It is true enough for me to say "yes," but it is not the only thing that is true.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I think it works quite well; as in it's the least worst we have; but I think the tests that you take can be inaccurate even if the tests themselves aren't inaccurate; but in relation to yourself. In theory you could be something that you think; but in practise it could be different. The tests can give me a rough estimate what I could be; but I tweak it little to figure out my type.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i think the tests works to a high degree, not 100% accurate but as a pretty close estimate. after reading my personality description after doing the test i was shocked at how accurate it was.. but alas it could just be me and all the others choosing to beleive what they want to belieive.:wink:

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I think it's fairly accurate but you still gotta get to know the individual as well since everybody's different. I know I relate to the ISTP description but I find myself to be quite different from famous ISTPs.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
It works but it is flawed. Or rather the various interpretations are.

The tests are variable in their relability.

In other respects, in forecasting the behaviour of others, it can be remarkably accurate if you do not expect too much.

Anybody can transcend their type and behave out of character, but it is very difficult to behave very much out of character. I have immense difficulty as an INTP behaving like a ESFJ, my opposite, and I find it nigh near impossible communicating with a ISFP.

I have proven it to my satisfaction by using the type analysis to find out who is causing me grief, when no other method got close. The Millon scheme of things, close to conventional psychiatry was inadequate and caused lots of problems. But I knew this was flawed anyway: see my signature.

Finding out who is causing grief and doing something about are two different things.

However, I also found my own Perseus Animal System and Greek parables almost as useful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.