Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jack Canfield:

Mother Teresa was brilliant. She said,''I will never attend an anti-war rally. If you have a peace rally, invite me.'' She knew. She understood The Secret. Look at what she manifested in the world.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
What secret?=P What did she manifest?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Oh I see. hehe I've tried the law of attraction many times, It has never worked for me. Maybe I am just lawless=P I had a friend who did a report about "the secret" in school, she seemed to believe in it fairly confidently.

Reactions: Goosefish

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ugh. The Secret. I had a lady at work who was major into that crap. "Hey! Just believe it and it will happen! And buy this $40 DVD so we can explain it! And the $25 book! You can do it turbo, we believe in you! *pat pat*'

:dry:

The only secret *I* see here is 'a fool and his money...'

If you want a really interesting read on how our intentions affect reality, go read 'The Science of Intention'. Interesting stuff, and no condescending motivational BS included :crazy:

I think our intentions, and more specifically, our will, can and does create changes in the world. There have been several big university science experiments that prove that, though not to what extent. The truth is far more interesting, and far more complicated than the watered down, feel good crap you get some get rich scheme like 'The Secret'.

Sorry, I guess I have a bit of a burr over that book. It's the kind of junk I would have fallen for ten years ago. :dry:

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Ahh, the law of attraction. I read the first 15 pages of "The Secret" and I felt like I read the entire thing. That book is just a broken record.

Nonetheless, -her- quote was decent. F' the propaganda though.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it's a matter of how certain thoughts can create certain vibrational energies..Juust my opinion

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think it's a matter of how certain thoughts can create certain vibrational energies..Juust my opinion
Yeah, that's it exactly. The more your will is in accord with your intent, the stronger the effect. At least, that's been my experience.

When stuff NEEDS to happen, it generally does.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The Secret is just a cult variation of common sense, except common sense dictates that after you visualize what you want, you then actively work towards achieving it yourself. THEN the universe "magically" gives you exactly that.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I get what I need.

The rest is just fodder.

I hope you realize that utilizing such a thing DOES have an effect... Especially if your desires are misplaced but willpower is high...
(No, I haven't read The Secret, nor do I plan to.)

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think that book is wonderful in how it motivated a lot of people by renewing their sense of purpose and making the goal seem attainable. However, I don't believe it very much. It seems very ..."relativism" rather than absolutism, perhaps that's why. But nonetheless, that was a great quote from a great person. :)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I think there is so much we do not know about the true nature of cause and effect. Let us not dismiss out of hand what we do not understand. Investigate all things and keep what is good.

I have seen too much in my life not to feel greater powers at work, quite apart from and beyond the scope of the more common psychological explanations of this effect.

Of course, we don't need to read any expensive and highly advertised and biased books about it. These days someone always finds a ways to commercialize everything.

And BTW, the mother Theresa quote does show a great deal of understanding. Both on the physical and the metaphysical level mindset and attitude are very important.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Like Eden said, "The Secret" seems to me to just be some people making money off of common sense.

Of course, if you project your energy into the world and then actually do something about it, you will eventually get results. People can see how strongly you want something. But if you sit back, do nothing, and expect things to happen just because you want them, you'd have to be extremely lucky to see any good come of it.

Also, I've heard Mother Teresa did some really cruel things in addition to the good she was famous for. So, I don't really know. :confused:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quite an amusing bit of irony - I was given the book as a Christmas present from a co-worker several years ago and somehow managed to lose it on the bus within the first three days of having it. I'm assuming someone else needed it more than I did. :p

Like Eden said, it's all common sense and is more about internalizing and then acting on those wishes and desires. If you look at most religions and other organizations, it is preached pretty much consistently, just with different wording. It's a fairly consistent message throughout much of the world. Now just to get everyone to pay attention and listen again.

Reactions: rowingineden
1 - 17 of 17 Posts