Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently met an ISFP and they said I was there soul mate. What does that mean for an ISFP?

·
Registered
959 Posts
It means that they trust you a lot and feel that you're more special than the rest. I think you should feel honored to be called a soul mate by an ISFP. There's no one I'd be able to call my soul mate but that's probably just because I haven't found that person yet :p

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Be careful with that. Any ISFP that goes around talking about a soul mate needs their maturity level assessed. They definitely mean what they say, just be wary, the personality has a negative quality when it comes to long-term relationships.

My ex was an ISFP, she dumped me for another guy that was more interesting even though we were engaged. She still wants to be friends with me, though. Now, I'm sure she's not like all other ISFP's out there, there's all sorts.

But I like to think of the ISFP's as explorers of people. I suppose the healthier ones explore hobbies and not people and that would be how they settle into anything long-term.

Providing her age might be appropriate. Discussing soul mates at anything under 25 is just a folly. Even below 30 it is dangerous.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Be careful with that. Any ISFP that goes around talking about a soul mate needs their maturity level assessed. They definitely mean what they say, just be wary, the personality has a negative quality when it comes to long-term relationships.

My ex was an ISFP, she dumped me for another guy that was more interesting even though we were engaged. She still wants to be friends with me, though. Now, I'm sure she's not like all other ISFP's out there, there's all sorts.

But I like to think of the ISFP's as explorers of people. I suppose the healthier ones explore hobbies and not people and that would be how they settle into anything long-term.

Providing her age might be appropriate. Discussing soul mates at anything under 25 is just a folly. Even below 30 it is dangerous.
That really sucks =[ we're not all like her though! I hope you find or have found someone better!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't know if I truly believe in 'soul mates'. I like the poetic and romantic nature of the term, though. If I were to use such a term to describe someone, it would probably be in a figurative sense of 'I think we really connect' rather than that I think this 'soul mate' is literally my ideal mate. Also may use it jokingly or casually as in, "Wow, we're like soul mates!" if I thought we had a lot in common.
It's possible your ISFP friend was just caught up in the moment. If they were really serious about it then probably they are a bit more flighty and romantic than the typical ISFP.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah, that went away after I realized there was no such thing as true love. This soul mate stuff is all fantasy. You need to work for it every day of your life, no matter what.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Precisely, by the time you're old enough to even use the term soul mate, you'll realize that there's no such thing, or if there is, you're not going to wait until the age of 80 just to meet them. There's living to be done, so you just find someone you get along with and enjoy each other.

That soul mate stuff is the really strong emotions most often felt by people in their late teens and early twenties. After their relationship with their soul mate ends horribly, they grow up and realize they were being too idealistic.

Reactions: Jacob

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
No, there are many people I could spend a lifetime with and be happy. If you're looking for a soul mate, there's billions of people...how could you be sure that person is THE one? Kind of impossible. -_-

·
Registered
959 Posts
True, you'll probably die before ever coming close to finding your "soul mate" if such a thing even exists...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I can't say I don't believe in the concept of soulmate. I know in the 8 billion people in the world (? is that right?) there has to be a girl somewhere near my age that thinks and feels just about identically to me. But I know I'll never meet her. I'm looking for understanding, and if I find that, I'm set.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I like to believe that there is someone out there that is meant just for me... but I know the odds of meeting someone like that in my lifetime is nearly impossible... but like someone said above I would love to just meet someone that understands me!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yeah, I don't believe in soulmates either. There's no such thing as a perfect relationship, at least I don't think so.

I think the concept of a soulmate leads you to believe that a relationship will be easy, when in reality any relationship takes constant work to maintain.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't think I believe in soul mates, but sometimes I like to think that there's something called destiny. And the person you'll end up with in the end will make perfect sense, and you'll feel like all the waiting and things you've been through will be worth while because it made you who you are and it made you meet the person you'll end up with. Sometimes I like to think like that! But I'm not a 100% sure... have not decided yet! :p

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah, I don't believe in soulmates either. There's no such thing as a perfect relationship, at least I don't think so.

I think the concept of a soulmate leads you to believe that a relationship will be easy, when in reality any relationship takes constant work to maintain.
Is it really work though when you (i.e. me) get off on being able to maintain good relationships with people?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Is it really work though when you (i.e. me) get off on being able to maintain good relationships with people?
Yes, I agree, I like to maintain healthy relationships, and perhaps I could have used a better word. When I said "work" I meant effort.

I didn't mean to imply that it bothers me to put forth an effort, but was simply stating that some effort is required to have a successful relationship (from my experience). I didn't mean to put a negative spin on it.:crazy:

The term soul mate just conjures up an image, in my mind, that you can both just sit back, relax, and expect everything to be hunky-dory. Perhaps it is possible, but I myself have never experienced it.

And to add to the confusion, I'm sure everyone has a different image of what a soulmate is.:confused:

I hope this make sense, I'm not sure how else to explain.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I believe in soul mates and twin flames,but I know that neither is what anyone thinks they are.

I believe that a soul mate is just be some one that you knew in a past life.

It can be a brother,a sister, your gardner if they had significance to you in your other life and it doesn't mean you'll have a romantic relationship with them. All your interaction with them means is that you have something more to learn from one another in this life.

A twin flame is like your" other half". You promised yourselves to one another on the astral planes. It may not be a perfect relationship with them either and you could be so much alike or just different enough that the relationship doesn't last with them either,but it's most likely it will.

What I've read is that you may not run into them in this life due to you both having to learn some individual lessons before you meet.

I've met several soul mates in this life.

All my experiences with them have been great learning experiences.

I'm not sure,but I think the man I'm married to might be my twin flame,but definitely is a soul mate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts