Personality Cafe banner

How often do you purchase organic food?

• Regularly (several items weekly, and purchase it consciously)

Votes: 78 20.9%
  • Occasionally (several items a month)

Votes: 70 18.7%
  • On occasion (several items every few months, but it's not a very conscious decision)

Votes: 64 17.1%
  • Very rarely (0-5 a year, or not if I can help it)

Votes: 51 13.6%
  • I don't notice.

Votes: 101 27.0%
  • I distrust organic food.

Votes: 10 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
My God, you fucking hippies.

Fuck organic food.
Fuck HACCP.
Fuck pesticides being "dangerous".
Fuck recycling.
Fuck global warming.

You have no awareness of what you're actually doing to the world stupid hippies. Gahh. I hope you all die from your immune system not being able to handle shit because you didn't give it a chance to practice fighting off icky harmful germs. You're basically going to end up with aids. Nice job.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
hahaha... wow assbiscuits. that was pretty... special :mellow:

i get a decent bit of organic stuff, basically only dairy stuff though. i've adopted vegetarianism lately, but it's for moral reasons, not nutritional... and i recognize that there's a large degree of cruelty inflicted on animals which doesnt necessarily *kill* them. but, if i keep away from dairy products, i'll pretty well die because i'm a terribly picky eater :frustrating: oh, and, er, i need protein from something :tongue:

so, most of the dairy products i buy (primarily milk) is organic, in hopes that the animals are less awfully treated. oddly enough, since i started drinking organic milk, i cant go back - i've occasionally tried regular milk, and i just cant *stand* the junk anymore, it tastes... ick.

·
Banned
1,760 Posts
I can't place an answer on the poll. I live on a rural area of Ireland with many farmers around and it's the farmers that sell the organic food. That means that I would have to go around miles in order to get it and gas prices would kill the benefit.

When possible, I prefer organic food to the "pretty" things being sold at the supermarket. When not possible, I go for quality (not brand, it can be a famous brand and not taste/be crap/ be loaded with chemicals) and then price. Times are tough and price does count.

This means that I do make a conscious effort to get bio food but I'm limited to when /how I can get it.

Everyone and their mothers here have cows or lamb so meat is fresh and a lot of it is bio. I'll know... I have cows grazing behind my house all the time since the house is right at the edge of the land that came with it and the land next to it is a pasture. Nothing like waking up and going out of the house and enjoy some lovely "bio" smell :crazy:

I'm also going to start growing a vegetable garden next spring which will help keeps things biological and hopefully, cheaper. :wink:

And assbiscuits, my immune system is fine, thanks. I didn't grow up in a bubble xD
But when I grew up, it was either bio food or chemical ridden food so I guess I have a balance? :laughing:

Reactions: susurration

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I like to buy stale, orange-stained, moldy hot-pockets and five day old, shriveled, brown hot-dogs from gas stations. For a drink, I usually pour week-old, microwave-heated gooey black coffee into a small paper cup.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I like to buy stale, orange-stained, moldy hot-pockets and five day old, shriveled, brown hot-dogs from gas stations. For a drink, I usually pour week-old, microwave-heated gooey black coffee into a small paper cup.
Stick that in your pipe and smoke it dr assbiscuits, as if you wouldn't get a kick ass immune system from this ^ :p

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
My parents don't like to spend extra money on some organic foods that cost quite a bit more than their non-organic equivalents/counterparts. We do occasionally go to an organic foods grocer, but that is very rarely.

I'd like to say that I'd buy organic foods when I'm older, but I'm really the kinda person who wouldn't really pay much attention to whether or not the food I'm buying is organic or not since it seems like a bit of trouble.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Price comes first. That's a crappy situation I'm in.

Reactions: susurration

·
Banned
89 Posts
I mostly buy organic because most organic prepackaged products have far less additives and crap in them and they just taste better. I mostly shop at trader joe's. I buy organic milk because I don't want antibiotics and hormones in my milk. I buy cruelty free organic eggs and I buy organic meat because I believe the crap that is fed to the factory farmed animals we eat is terrible for us. I don't eat beef or pork and I am not a huge meat eater so when I do eat meat I want it to be quality.
As far as produce I'm not that picky. I just wash everything with this special spray anyway.
I also use organic shampoo.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was interested in "organic" before I knew what it even meant (and before popular stores sold it). I end up wondering if some people/products say organic just to close a sale now, but even those items are a better bet than nothing (I don't trust seals, there's always potentially loopholes and technicalities and flaws). I just wish it didn't cost so much, there's certainly better routes to go (like getting it more directly), but I guess that all depends on a lot of things (such as where you live).

·
Registered
3,933 Posts

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
That's a load of crap. You shouldn't buy into what bloggers say so easily then try to provide it as proof.

We'll feed 4 billion people if we keep up organic farming. What about the other 3 billion? Which is more important can I ask you, keeping 4 billion people healthier or letting 3 billion people starve to death? Which is better?

The cancer association acknowledges that pesticides don't cause cancer. Don't dare just copy and paste a link and think that's good enough to shut me up. Because people need to think for themselves and stop relying on the media so much.

I do honours home-ec in school and they don't encourage us to eat organic food for a reason. They teach us about the biology behind food and who to trust etc. They also taught me that relying on cow shit to grow food instead of pesticides is actually dangerous due to manure containing e coli.

I know I opposed HACCP earlier but because of the HACCP laws it's easier to get good quality food. They just waste a lot of fucking good food that way and people don't need this much protection. It's what our immune systems are for!

Pesticides help grow food, the fact there were so much famines before the industrial times is because they didn't use pesticides to have a greater amount of food. It's the best way to feed more people, forget that biased crap you just sent me and probably never even read yourself.

Norman Borlaug on Organic Farming - AgricultureInformation.com

read this. This guy fed 1 billion people. Just read it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's not about the health concerns for me. Meat is largely meat, and you'll be hard pressed to find yourself being more adversely affected by meat grown in large-scale quantities versus organic meats.

The difference for me is about the consequences of mass meat production. It's another human invention that doesn't sit well with nature, and if it isn't kept under very careful control, it'll eventually exhaust way too many resources as the population grows (I'm talking hundreds of years here).

The hippie inside of my wants to buy organic Just Because, but I realize that these mass-produced meats are necessary, because organic farming isn't productive enough to feed the unnatural amount of people that live here.

As with all things, there needs to be a balance between the two types of production. Organic can be useful in many local situations, but isn't viable everywhere.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I try to buy organically more often than not, or rather, I buy "home grown" more often than not. Most of my friends either owned or lived on farms, so I got a lot of personally grown stuff while living in Washington. I didn't buy as much from a local grocery store as I did local independent businesses and the Co-Op. In Atlanta, where I'm thankfully temporarily living, I haven't been able to get organic food as often as I'd like to, but I still snag it when the price is right. : o

That, and we used to grow our own food for a little while, and we would've raised chickens if winter hadn't killed all but two of 'em.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I do regularly. I find it funny that this is a yes or no question but no option for no. :laughing:
The poll question is "How often do you purchase organic food?" and there is an option for zero, or "not if I can help it" :cool:

Because technically, I bet some people have bought "organic food" without being conscious of it. I'm jus being nit picky heh.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If, on a rare chance, I want something organic I'll grow it myself. I ain't paying extra that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
...o.o Is "organic food" the same thing as ecological food?

Oh, Wikipedia says yes, but also that the page is full of crap. Anyway, wrong poll answer then. I buy ecological butter and milk when I can because it's produced differently and thus has a different taste. For the rest I find that the taste advocates are every bit as retarded to listen to as any other group of lobbyists. It's sad stuff like improved taste has to be the selling point though, should be a no-brainer that poisoning underground water supplies and getting hormonal overdoses are cool things to minimize.

And just to embrace the hypocrites, sure I would be buying food that's twice as expensive if I was pooping money. Until then, only what I can "afford".

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Due to my husbands health issues that have recently come to light, I have become very aware of the benefits of organic foods. They are however, extremely cost prohibitive and much higher on my list of priorities lie in issues of processed foods, organics included. Organic doesn't necessarily mean healthy. For example, organic crackers can (and usually are) loaded with sodium and/or unnecessary sugars. I intend to start (organic) vegetable gardening for the next growing season as well as learn to can some of the bounty. I also hope that I'll be able to obtain a greenhouse in the future so that I might grow year round.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.