Personality Cafe banner

How often do you purchase organic food?

• Regularly (several items weekly, and purchase it consciously)

Votes: 78 20.9%
  • Occasionally (several items a month)

Votes: 70 18.7%
  • On occasion (several items every few months, but it's not a very conscious decision)

Votes: 64 17.1%
  • Very rarely (0-5 a year, or not if I can help it)

Votes: 51 13.6%
  • I don't notice.

Votes: 101 27.0%
  • I distrust organic food.

Votes: 10 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I'm glad so many people like starving countries because they want "quality food"

makes me feel good about the world.

And it doesn't taste better. It tastes the fucking same.

Why are people so easily swayed by stupid shit like this?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Financially, I'm in a bind, so I can't, but would love to.

I'm thinking it'd be neat if I could build my own solar-powered hydroponics garden.. (No- not for marijuana or anything like that- not that I'm against it- nor is it my forte)- would be nice to have a fresh micro-green salad that I can pick from my garden every so often-- ooh and fresh strawberries!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
My God, you fucking hippies.

Fuck organic food.
Fuck HACCP.
Fuck pesticides being "dangerous".
Fuck recycling.
Fuck global warming.

You have no awareness of what you're actually doing to the world stupid hippies. Gahh. I hope you all die from your immune system not being able to handle shit because you didn't give it a chance to practice fighting off icky harmful germs. You're basically going to end up with aids. Nice job.
There's nothing wrong with wanting quality food. People who eat organic and vegetarian are actually healthier and have better immune systems as opposed to someone who eats meat. No need to get angry. We know exactly what we're doing to the world. We're making it better. Places that slaughter animals and use pesticides are actually killing the soil and thus destroying our planet faster.

Enjoy your diabetes and high cholesterol.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
That's a load of crap. You shouldn't buy into what bloggers say so easily then try to provide it as proof.

...snip...

I do honours home-ec in school and they don't encourage us to eat organic food for a reason. They teach us about the biology behind food and who to trust etc.
o_O

They also taught me that relying on cow shit to grow food instead of pesticides is actually dangerous due to manure containing e coli.
By that logic, we shouldn't eat beef. But wait! Not all cows have e coli... and there are methods of processing to eliminate such bacterias...like cooking the meat through. I suppose your teachers didn't bother to tell you that there are methods to eliminate potential e coli bacteria from cow fertilizers and are easy enough for the home gardener to use.

Pesticides help grow food, the fact there were so much famines before the industrial times is because they didn't use pesticides to have a greater amount of food. It's the best way to feed more people, forget that biased crap you just sent me and probably never even read yourself.
Bias is everywhere. Don't fool yourself into believing that your class curriculum isn't under the direction of people with their own biases. There are synthetic, organic and inorganic pesticides that are low impact on the environment as well as our health. Check into biorational pesticides.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I buy occasionally. Organic food is serious business where I live. That's not why I buy it, though. Since organic food is so popular here, there's a large selection of stuff to choose from. The only organic food I buy is food that just happens to be organic. Like, there's a local bakery here that makes killer bread that just happens to be organic. Whether it's organic or not, I'd still buy it. The stuff is amazing.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I buy organic food whenever I can. Sometimes it is too expensive and in those cases, I (or my family) will buy non-organic. But for certain produce (eg. tomatoes), we put in more effort to buy the organic ones.

I try to buy organic food for a number of reasons.
-The first is that I do not trust conventional pesticides and I worry about how they may be affecting my health. The chemicals themselves are dangerous (in large amounts), so why are we putting it on our food? We don't know how much qualifies as unsafe and I worry that even residues may be more damaging than we realize.
- My second reason is that both my mom and I have food sensitivities and I find that the foods with the clearest packaging labels are the organic ones. There are less additives and I feel more confortable putting those foods in my body.
- My third reason is that ethically, I feel most comfortable supporting the farmers who use more environmentally conscious methods for growing their produce.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
o_O

YouTube - Pink Floyd Mother

By that logic, we shouldn't eat beef. But wait! Not all cows have e coli... and there are methods of processing to eliminate such bacterias...like cooking the meat through. I suppose your teachers didn't bother to tell you that there are methods to eliminate potential e coli bacteria from cow fertilizers and are easy enough for the home gardener to use.

Bias is everywhere. Don't fool yourself into believing that your class curriculum isn't under the direction of people with their own biases. There are synthetic, organic and inorganic pesticides that are low impact on the environment as well as our health. Check into biorational pesticides.
E coli in cow manure. Not cow meat. And cow manure is dangerous for the ozone layer right? There are many ways to eliminate microbes, but not every vegetable (forget meat, I'm talking about e coli in cow manure which helps the process of growing the organic food) is cooked and the average person doesn't know what home gardeners know. There's nothing wrong with home gardening, it doesn't mean a huge number of the world is being starved if a person grows their own food without using pesticides does it?

You don't know what my curriculum is and you don't know if I've considered whether it's biased or not. They don't encourage us meaning they don't say "don't buy it!" or "do buy it!".

So, to me that says we should try and get farmers to use these bio-rational pesticides, instead of organic farming to feed the richer parts of the world that can afford to live.

·
Registered
448 Posts
My response to "assbiscuits" was deleted. I guess I have nothing worthwile to say, here.

I'll try to put back the part that won't get this deleted, I guess.

I'm glad so many people like starving countries because they want "quality food"

makes me feel good about the world.

And it doesn't taste better. It tastes the fucking same.

Why are people so easily swayed by stupid shit like this?
It sounds like the implication is that people here decided this on purpose. I do not think that is the case. I think they are either not aware of the same facts or that they may not be true. I think it would be better to talk about it rationally and considerately, rather than to be emotional over it and guilt people.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
I'm not terribly conscious of why i pick things.... i look for what is healthy... and often it ends up being organic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes-I buy organic as much as possible. I don't eat meat so I eat alot of veggies, etc.-they taste better when they are organic. Thanks for the post-it was interesting...............Kristina

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
My response to "assbiscuits" was deleted. I guess I have nothing worthwile to say, here.

I'll try to put back the part that won't get this deleted, I guess.

It sounds like the implication is that people here decided this on purpose. I do not think that is the case. I think they are either not aware of the same facts or that they may not be true. I think it would be better to talk about it rationally and considerately, rather than to be emotional over it and guilt people.
Wow, you personally attacked me? What were you saying to me? :/ You need to calm down yourself.

I make an outrageous statement and wait for someone worthwhile to address me on it or someone who says something worthwhile so I don't have to write an essay that no-one will read.

When streamofconcious had nitpicked a few things I claimed, I responded rationally. You should read what I'm saying maybe?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
E coli in cow manure. Not cow meat. And cow manure is dangerous for the ozone layer right? There are many ways to eliminate microbes, but not every vegetable (forget meat, I'm talking about e coli in cow manure which helps the process of growing the organic food) is cooked and the average person doesn't know what home gardeners know. There's nothing wrong with home gardening, it doesn't mean a huge number of the world is being starved if a person grows their own food without using pesticides does it?
E coli infects cows, which in turn infects their meat as well as their fecal matter. I wasn't suggesting cooking vegetables. I'd be pretty upset if someone cooked my lettuce. :laughing: It's really simple. Heat eliminates the bacteria. Place the manure in a compost pile where heat is being generated due to the decay. The shit is cooked. E coli never need touch your vegetables.

You're absolutely right about one thing. Fertilizers really don't have much to do with pesticides. You're the one that put the two together though. See? :
They also taught me that relying on cow shit to grow food instead of pesticides is actually dangerous due to manure containing e coli.
There was a reason I chose to address this point, which I'll get to in a moment.

You don't know what my curriculum is and you don't know if I've considered whether it's biased or not. They don't encourage us meaning they don't say "don't buy it!" or "do buy it!".
Do they really need to tell you yay or nay? Seems to me that it would be much more effective to lay a bread trail that leads you to the conclusions they'd want you to draw. Regardless, whether the bias is coming from those who taught you or yourself, your arguments smack of it.

So, to me that says we should try and get farmers to use these bio-rational pesticides, instead of organic farming to feed the richer parts of the world that can afford to live.
Know shit. This is my only reason for choosing to discuss this with you, AB. The information of your anti-organics campaign is severely slanted as well as confused. If you're going to come into a thread and insult the group that disagrees with you by telling them that you can't believe that people are so easily swayed, you would serve yourself well to appear as if you're not guilty of your own generalization.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Wow, you personally attacked me? What were you saying to me? :/ You need to calm down yourself.

I make an outrageous statement and wait for someone worthwhile to address me on it or someone who says something worthwhile so I don't have to write an essay that no-one will read.

When streamofconcious had nitpicked a few things I claimed, I responded rationally. You should read what I'm saying maybe?
Now if she goes and tells you here in the thread it defeats the purpose of deleting it. Don't worry, it wasn't that bad. You know, it was just me being nitpicky.:laughing:

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
E coli infects cows, which in turn infects their meat as well as their fecal matter. I wasn't suggesting cooking vegetables. I'd be pretty upset if someone cooked my lettuce. :laughing: It's really simple. Heat eliminates the bacteria. Place the manure in a compost pile where heat is being generated due to the decay. The shit is cooked. E coli never need touch your vegetables.

You're absolutely right about one thing. Fertilizers really don't have much to do with pesticides. You're the one that put the two together though. See? : There was a reason I chose to address this point, which I'll get to in a moment.

Do they really need to tell you yay or nay? Seems to me that it would be much more effective to lay a bread trail that leads you to the conclusions they'd want you to draw. Regardless, whether the bias is coming from those who taught you or yourself, your arguments smack of it.

Know shit. This is my only reason for choosing to discuss this with you, AB. The information of your anti-organics campaign is severely slanted as well as confused. If you're going to come into a thread and insult the group that disagrees with you by telling them that you can't believe that people are so easily swayed, you would serve yourself well to appear as if you're not guilty of your own generalization.
E coli is found in their intestines I thought.

But we don't know what farmers are doing, whether they're heating the manure in such a way or not. We're never going to know exactly what farmers are doing. Organic food is where the money's at, do we actually know how people will lie to sell stuff? I don't think I'm going to die if I eat ordinary food, not everyone can afford organic. But the thing is, how many people have died of diabetes and high cholesterol like Medea suggested due not eating organic? Or even cancer? In America 9,000 people a year die of food poisoning, how many people can say they died from eating ordinary food? How arrogant would it be to say it's due to pesticides when doctors or scientists haven't even said this?

Organic food is pretty popular in Ireland. If they impose religion on us in school why not other popular opinions? I actually view things this the way I do for a completely different reason. I've said enough to guilt people, so I won't say anymore about this reason. I haven't been swayed by anyone or anything but myself. It's not exactly easy to tell people you don't buy organic food over here, because the people that do are snobs and they'll look down on you. It's not exactly easy to be the only person arguing for one side either which always seems to be the case for me.

It's easy to say what my information is, it's easy to say I haven't got things right and that I'm easily swayed myself and confused, but actually disproving what I'm saying would be harder.

And of course everyone here will agree with you, without really considering what I'm saying, because most people these days like to think they're helping the world by buying organic food.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
if regular food was so unhealthy, my country, health-freak country número uno, would've done something about it a long time ago, but they haven't, so this whole organic food marketing campaign can take a hike. and really, who buys a banana for ten dollars when they can buy it for ten cents?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
E coli is found in their intestines I thought.
And yet it still manages to infect meat.

But we don't know what farmers are doing, whether they're heating the manure in such a way or not. We're never going to know exactly what farmers are doing.
But we do know what happens to businesses who sell food that's been infected with such bacterias on a large scale. They become the lepers of their industry and get run out of business. It is in the farmers best self-interest to take proper precautions.

Organic food is where the money's at, do we actually know how people will lie to sell stuff? I don't think I'm going to die if I eat ordinary food, not everyone can afford organic. But the thing is, how many people have died of diabetes and high cholesterol like Medea suggested due not eating organic? Or even cancer? In America 9,000 people a year die of food poisoning, how many people can say they died from eating ordinary food? How arrogant would it be to say it's due to pesticides when doctors or scientists haven't even said this?
Where the money is at, huh? It's a pretty small industry in the States. What do you consider ordinary food? Here's the thing about health issue. People die of diabetes and high cholesterol due to what's being put in processed foods. Food manufacturers load our foods with salt and sugar. It's not just unhealthy, it's straight poison when you consider the massive amounts that are consumed daily by the average American. It's not just in boxes of Twinkies and potato chips. They plump up meat with salt water giving up to 10 times the amount of salt than in its natural state. Obesity related health problems and heart disease are the number one killer of US citizens. Those people are only partly responsible for their state of health. The the food industry didn't just enable them. They've done everything they possibly can to disguise their snake oils as something good from misleading labeling to lobbying against being regulated in any way. That's not an argument for organics, that's an argument against the natural ingredients that are being placed in the food.

The thing is, for anybody who's aware of the gravity of this problem, all trust in our food manufacturers is destroyed. Here's where the desire for organics come in. Those same food manufacturers are currently delving into the studies of genetic engineering. They figure they can find a way to grow more food this way. Since regulation hasn't caught up with science, they're not required to tell us if the food is genetically engineered and therefore, won't. That's right. They're experimenting with our food. They haven't spent nearly enough time in research to know that the changes they're making are safe in the long run. Hell, look what they did with natural ingredients and now we're supposed to trust the man-made? Psh. They'd like to make us their guinea pigs. The only food that we can be reasonably sure isn't tampered with is organics.

Organic food is pretty popular in Ireland. If they impose religion on us in school why not other popular opinions? I actually view things this the way I do for a completely different reason. I've said enough to guilt people, so I won't say anymore about this reason. I haven't been swayed by anyone or anything but myself. It's not exactly easy to tell people you don't buy organic food over here, because the people that do are snobs and they'll look down on you. It's not exactly easy to be the only person arguing for one side either which always seems to be the case for me.
Up to this point, your stance against organics has seemed to be a knee-jerk reaction to what you just described. Why do you care if some tree hugger looks down on you for not following their way? Especially if you feel deep down that your convictions on this topic are true to you?

It's easy to say what my information is, it's easy to say I haven't got things right and that I'm easily swayed myself and confused, but actually disproving what I'm saying would be harder.
It's very hard to disprove any argument that lacks cohesion. You haven't even made an argument. All you've done is state a bunch of baseless opinions and thrown in a few facts that have been distorted. You say you don't want to "write an essay" for a bunch of people who aren't going to read it. You'd rather discuss this with someone worthwhile. All you've really said is that you lack faith in others ability to reason and make a good decision. Are you seeing the connection between your actions and what you are saying about others?

And of course everyone here will agree with you, without really considering what I'm saying, because most people these days like to think they're helping the world by buying organic food.
The only reason they won't consider what you're saying is because you've refused to tell them.

Personally, I wouldn't want someone to be swayed by my opinions. I would prefer that they gather enough information to make a well-informed decision but most importantly, do what they know deep within to be the right thing to do.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.