Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you care about the person on the other side of this virtual world?

That's the main question. But, once you answered that, I would like to ask again:
What is your criteria to be curious or interested about the person behind these posts?

Is it gender? personality? pictures? avatar? writing style? intelligence? career? anything else?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Can we clarify what's meant with "care" as I'm not sure what people mean by it.
This ain't a virtual world? Just because it's not physical doesn't mean it's any less real.
And surely the people here as real as you are?

With the second question, do you mean what makes peoplereply? Or just what get's people interested in the poster?
I can't really tell what exactly does it for me, but I know avatar, nickname and signature have an influence regardless of what's been said in the post.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I care about everyone on here, and I regret that I don't care about those I've never encountered on here. I find myself even wanting to care more than I actually do, but thats a common problem with me. I relate to people and feel sympathy for those more than anything who seem to want their point noticed or put across but it appears they have been ignored. I care about these the most.

Hehe, this isn't a virtual world but even in a virtual world the minds in the world would be real. Heck even the avatars or holograms would intrigue me on a personal level. But I don't think you need to qualify to be valued by others, not being valued by others is more of a weakness on their part rather than your own.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can we clarify what's meant with "care" as I'm not sure what people mean by it.
Anything that encourages you to figure out who is this person.

This ain't a virtual world? Just because it's not physical doesn't mean it's any less real.
And surely the people here as real as you are?
I'm sorry, this is still a virtual world to me, because the real world interaction consist of physical gestures and voice in communication. I'm talking about face to face communication in the case of real world.

For the people:
Well, I don't know that. I believe the profiles, until I figure out that it's unreal.

With the second question, do you mean what makes peoplereply? Or just what get's people interested in the poster?
What makes people curious about the poster. Not just replying. Replying means you're interested with the topic.

I can't really tell what exactly does it for me, but I know avatar, nickname and signature have a huge influence regardless of what's been said in the post.
For me, nickname isn't that important. I choose this nickname, because it's the nickname that I've been using for years, and I'm not creative to find a new one.
Signature is definitely not important for me either. Because, I myself do not make an effort to create one.

I look for consistency in the personality of the person, and the way this person replied to posts. Afterwards, I look for secondary characteristics in their profiles, like their personal data.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find myself even wanting to care more than I actually do, but thats a common problem with me. I relate to people and feel sympathy for those more than anything who seem to want their point noticed or put across but it appears they have been ignored. I care about these the most.
That's also a problem with me.

I withdrawn myself from connecting with those who are popular, have a good public image, etc.
My friends are always those who have problems. I mean problems that most people don't really have/show.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Anything that encourages you to figure out who is this person.
Then I care for almost everyone, as I'm interested in what most people have to say.

I'm sorry, this is still a virtual world to me, because the real world interaction consist of physical gestures and voice in communication. I'm talking about face to face communication in the case of real world.
In that sense, ok this is virtual, I just had a different definition of "real / virtual " in my mind.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In that sense, ok this is virtual, I just had a different definition of "real / virtual " in my mind.
If you want to compare this to "Second Life", then of course I understand what you mean. I was a user in Second Life too, until I got busy and decided that Second Life is a waste of time.

But, why I think this is still virtual? When I met people in real life, we don't feel the same connection and comfort as we feel on the internet.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
no i don't care. it takes a certain individual to do that at a certain time
of my life. it must be off text at one point too for me to really care.
it's already happened once. and it won't happen again soon.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
In forums I often forget there are people on the other side. Only when there's a realness to them that they seem like a human being :\ I very much experience that psychological sense of disassociation online. I usually forget actual people might be reading what i'm writing.

Doesn't mean i'm not aware of consequences or want to help them any less, just the human presence I seem to be disconnected to. The first few months coming on here, I felt like no one could see what I was writing. I was very self absorbed in the sense that it didn't feel like a chat room for me, it just felt like a place where I could speak in a room by myself and hear my voice echo back to me.

I have no notion of popularity, social position or such. Who fits where? whose an outsider? I have no idea as I don't pay attention to that stuff. Everybody starts out equal to me. Though favourites come about on the basis that I am attracted to people by their style of writing and thoughts... their energy.. how much I can relate to them.. that's about it. Human qualities, not identity like- gender, avatar, signature to a less extent. I don't want to know who you say/think you are. I want to go a bit deeper than that, to make up my own mind, as again, it's too dehumanising for me to simply go off an identity. I disassociate too much already; add an identity and it gets too confounding for me. The real person gets lost behind a bunch of images and ideas. Maybe that's not a bad thing, it's intriguing certainly, but it's not enough certainty for me. Pictures are important in the sense that a person seems more real. I think the stronger the human presence, the more likely people seem to be drawn to you online. Simply because you seem like a human being.

jesus maybe I am a dom/tert sensor after all!!

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
Whenever I log onto any kind of advice site or forum, I care.. To me- behind that screen is someone who matters.. I think the fact that the internet is often used as a common tool to abuse, bully, or hurt others is a SHAME. It only says so much about how people devalue others just because they think it's 'harmless.'

When I think of someone behind the other side of the communication line, even though they are strangers, I'm assuming that they come from a vast amount of experiences that I'm unaware of.. To be extra sensitive to their situation is my way of showing respect. I wouldn't want to hurt anybody, even if we're just talking through text- I still think it's the little things that matter most.

Who knows? What if one thing that a person says online can actually affect another human being? What if someone is suicidal and at their last brink? Then some asshole thinks it's okay to put the other person down because somehow it adds to their 'cyber powers' (where they more likely lack any in reality) to trounce on that person for their own 'entertainment'? I find that kind of behavior disgusting/distasteful. Adding to the opposite effect, I hope that people mirror off of other's behaviors in a positive way. By treating people like I would IRL, consistent with how I would online, I think that's the basic thing I can do, even though it seems trivial or meaningless.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
We shouldn't reduce people to pixels on a screen; everyone on here is human and unique, thus deserving to be respected and cared about even on a most basic level.

Personally, the kind, intellectually-stimulating, diverse domain that is PerC leads me to care. We're a community, and although I'm not really close with 98% of PerC members I think each individual has worth.

JK you're all heartless trolls, gtfo!:crazy:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I usually care as a principle. I'm right with Chris Nolan on his Inception theory -- what matters is not which world is real but which world you feel real and happy in. People who are honest about themselves, no matter what they're posting, deserve to be cared for. Those who use the digital world as a mask to vent their aggressiveness with no fear of retaliation, however, should be tracked down and given back as much as they dealt.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Honestly, I actually wonder a lot about what it's like to be brought up in Western culture.

I'm trying to understand the people here better, even though it might not show as much.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Honestly, I actually wonder a lot about what it's like to be brought up in Western culture.

I'm trying to understand the people here better, even though it might not show as much.
I was brought up not in western culture. Mostly eastern.
I don't need to wonder anymore, because information is everywhere:
TV, movies, blogs, news, articles, forums, etc.

You can also do that by living with western people, if possible or interested.

What makes me feel drawn to at least some of the western culture is:
- They appreciate critical thinking and intelligence more than traditional values that may be obsolete.
- They honor weird and non-conforming individuals and accept them as who they are. This is probably why internet activity is more rewarding among western people.
- Their main language "English" is more elegant to express ideas, compared to my own native language (you can find out what that is by looking at my country).
- The expression of their language consider most people as equals (at least most of the time). You can't imagine how many terms in my own language to express hierarchical identity for each person (to emphasize master - slave, respected - non-respected relationships).

All of this could be observed in this forum too, or the internet in general.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Yes. I care about other people in a general sense. I also form special attachments to the ones I can relate to the most. Physical distance does not alter my ability to feel attached, although it does prevent me from expressing my attachment in any physical way, such as hugging.

Reactions: pretty.Odd

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, I am aware that it's "too much" to really care (like caring to a girlfriend) about the other person.

But, the definition is just:
"Are you interested to know this person?"

Even looking at your HannibalLecter nickname and avatar, I am curious about yourself.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
By nature, I tend not to.. but the interesting part is that it's a rule of society that you're not supposed to. You're weak and looked down upon if you do..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts