Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's no doubt most of us INFPs have our bouts of being melancholy/anxious/depressed/whatever but my question is does the music or art you like reflect this and how so? Do you romanticize the dark aspects of life (what many people would consider Gothic) or do you generally prefer your art to be more bitersweet and hopeful.

As much as I like bands like Joy Division, if I listen to music that is too dark, cavernous and abysmal I usually feel like jumping out a window. I am too much a sucker for melody and rhythm. I prefer to see the colour and beauty of life, even if it's a fantasy (I suppose escapism is my preferred form of art) rather than delve in the black and grey. I suppose a lot of the music I like also has an element of sadness but a sort bittersweet sadness rather than a "this is the end" sadness. For example:

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
I prefer something a little bittersweet because I personally find I more fully emotionally connect with it. Music especially; it allows my mind to wander and heal, exploring all the facets of what's going on in me, exploring mental fantasies, rather than getting buried in something entirely dark and heavy. That doesn't stimulate my mind. When I'm feeling dark my taste in music moves more towards hard rock/heavy metal (although it usually hovers somewhere close anyway) but it's more about it being more energetic rather than especially more dark. I like art and music with a fair chunk of darkness in it but I prefer it still with rhythm, melody and energy, even if those in themselves are quite dark. I always want it to be, for want of a less patronising term, musical.
Again, doesn't mean it can't be dark, but I need that mixed with energy or something to more fully engage me.

If anything extremely dark music which is just that, makes me bored. It's not like I'm experiencing anything I don't know.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I definitely prefer bittersweet, a sad kind of beauty in music. This song comes to mind, and I especially love the change towards the end. It has a beautiful simplicity, and the stark beauty of the visuals fit really well; melancholy but not (in my opinion) depressing or completely hopeless. I think the strings and glockenspiel add a little brightness.
It's sad, but not dark or angry. I don't usually gravitate towards really dark/goth type music.

·
Registered
686 Posts
So it's not music but I like wes anderson movies because the sadness in his characters comes across as very real, very true to the sadness you see in real life, but theres redemption and the redemption seems real enough too.

I have had periods where I obsess over hopelessness, sort of dive into it aesthetically and make it my whole world, but I don't really do it anymore, or haven't in a while. Joy division is the perfect example of hopelessness imo, except for a few songs I see a glimmer or hope but because its such a glimmer in the midst of such deep darkness its almost angelic.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I am mentally interested in the dark aspects of life, but not emotionally. Meaning, I am interested in reading books containing murders or depressed characters, I am obsessed with mental illnesses and love learning about them, and I've fantasized about my own death and the deaths of my loved ones a million times. But I hate "dark" emotions, I hate being grumpy or sad or scared, and I have a lifestyle I've made for myself that focuses on surrounding myself with things that make me feel positive as much as possible. I was depressed for 6 years and I don't wish that on anybody, and I have zero intentions of going back to that hole.

So I don't celebrate or romanticise the dark aspects of life, but I am definitely interested in them at an intellectual and aesthetic level (but not emotional), and I have learned to navigate the negative as opposed to drowning in it.

I hate it when I'm going through a time of depression, but I have learned that I always come out on the other side. I navigate the darkness with skill now. I enjoy melancholy films and tv shows, but I won't watch them often because they really affect me. I also enjoy melancholy music, but won't expose myself to it often because, again, it affects me very much. I also run away from people that I perceive they might have a personality that is too negative; I don't do drama at all.
Gothic architecture is in fact my favourite architecture (and living in southern Europe we have a ton of it), but I don't like the goth subculture, or music like Joy Division or The sisters of mercy. I prefer music that is hopeful and upbeat while at the same time makes me feel like I'm surrounded by ghosts and spirits.
I also love to spend a lot of time alone in darkness, and I will often lock myself in the bathroom, get into the bathtub and soak there for an hour with the lights off, in total darkness. I love misty, foggy and rainy days, and I go outdoors on purpose when there's a thunderstorm because I feel energized. I love to sit in cemeteries and bright open fields alike. But I avoid horror/gore films like the plague.

I cannot live in a dark and somber world, it bores me and drains me. And I cannot live being depressed or perpetually angry, because that is simply not living. And cynicism makes my vagina dry, tbq. I am interested in certain mysterious aspects of life that people consider "dark", but there are lines I won't cross. I gravitate toward the light, bright people, bright music, bright books...
I can't live without sunny days and upbeat folk music, and can't live without thunderstorms, floods and melancholy rock. I can appreciate one because I experience the other. But yes, I definitely NEED hopefulness and color in my daily life more than anything else.

Reactions: ElectricHead
1 - 6 of 6 Posts