Personality Cafe banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I don't, unless the person is a therapist. It's private life. Private life is private. And it's a therapist's job to listen to this kind of things. I've dated someone who did talk about our relationship to their friends, the excuse was that it was to get external perspectives. At no point did they realize that it was disrespectful, or that they were only getting the other sex's perspectives back, and that it only ended up making me the bad guy. Anyone who's not getting both perspective to the issue raised is not getting the full picture, and cannot give any good advice other than "talk to them about it". Anything else is biased, disingenuous, and misplaced.

I did talk about it once it was over, with people I trusted only, not to everyone that could be loosely considered friends.

·
Registered
15,259 Posts
Wtf?
Yes, they do! They do it on here! Infj's have done this to me. Where's your head at?

You're making sweeping generalisations and it seems you're ignorantly unaware of your own projections, a little introspection is needed here.
Hahaha I was thinking the exact same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kynx

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Wtf?
Yes, they do! They do it on here! Infj's have done this to me. Where's your head at?

You're making sweeping generalisations and it seems you're ignorantly unaware of your own projections, a little introspection is needed here.
Well, the answers I give often relate to anecdotal evidence, not proofs. Amid the females I have been around and dated (and that includes longterm more than a half dozen INFJs), they are amid the least likely people to 'spread light negatives as posing'.

Reactions: Kynx

·
Administrator
INTP
11,819 Posts
Well, the answers I give often relate to anecdotal evidence, not proofs. Amid the females I have been around and dated (and that includes longterm more than a half dozen INFJs), they are amid the least likely people to 'spread light negatives as posing'.
Perhaps you didn't find out

Reactions: WickerDeer

·
Registered
ENTP, 387
3,317 Posts
I don’t have an SO currently. But when I did. I didn’t complain about him to others. If I had a need to talk about something serious though. I’d do so with very close friends. Mostly to ask for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'll tell you a story about complaining to other people about your relationship.

My SO did complain about some aspects of the relationship to girls who were not just younger (3 that I know of), but in shit with their relationships as well, all 3 of them (at least if he went to a married couple or something like that, right? Haha, no). That alone in theory is not supposed to be big, but it rarely ever is a stand-alone, unless your partner is a very good liar.

Whoever would listen to him he'd call them "friends", and one of them (one that I know of, the reality may have more) tried to make him cheat, despite knowing that he was in a relationship, 19-year old drunk "show me what a stud you are in bed" style. 3 months later, they end up together in a rebound because it can't be called something else, after he claimed her given name is horrible, what she did is disgusting, and that they're not talking anymore. He basically accused me of making him depressed enough so that he needed to lie and cheat. Someone who lies and cheats and claims their partner made them to, but still does not break up with them, are disgusting cowards, and that's the end of it. He even claimed I used him, in an effort to maximize my position as a foreign student probably, as that is the only logical illogical choice. He chose to still be intimate with me before telling me the truth about him lying or covering some events and truths. It makes you wonder to what extent gullibility and belief in someone's "goodness" leads to some people using you, doing a mistake, being unable to carry the grief, and trying to blame it all on you making them cheat. It's a sort of concept of them being better than everybody else and toying with people how they please, because they have an imaginary right to.

Badmouthing them out of spite won't be conductive to your well-being either, and when you know you believed in a monogamous relationship and did not hide or lie, it is conductive to be honest with those who can help you overcome it. If you're trying to cope with a mistake you've done in the relationship, make sure to not claim your partner made you so depressed that you needed to lie, hide, emotionally cheat.

I too talked about different aspects of my relationship with people, but not with those who know my partner personally, or if so, not with personal or intimate details, but rather, effects of certain attitudes or actions. These however are close friends and family, people who are not in a shitty situation relationship-wise, nor have had a history of abuse. If they are, or if they had, then I'd consider that aspect before taking their advice like it's fresh bread ready to ingest.

Choose the people you talk with wisely, for the hidden interests some may have are mind boggling, if you're not used to paying attention or tend to have an extended circle of acquaintances.
I, for example, am sure that my ex was told, as someone else stated in this topic about them being canadian and moving with an american partner, that I want to use them, simply based on the fact that I was doing my master's studies outside my country, and despite there not even being an issue of visa, green cards, or other bs, not that he could help me with anyways.

Secondly, when some people give "advice", especially if of the opposite gender, they can have their selfish human reasons, so unless that's what you want, don't be a monkey and understand that unless they're gay there may be an element of jealousy, or perhaps something non-sexually related, like envy.

Personally, I have been at the other end as well, and have guys talk to me about their relationship problems, but if they chose to do it with me instead of their partner, I "slap" them back to reality, they need to muster the guts to talk about it with the person. I've even had someone who started crying next to me one night saying how their life was hard at that moment because of university problems, because of many responsibilities, and their girlfriend not being nice with them or wanting to be intimate with them anymore, and making them miserable (happened while on a pretty cool volunteering experience in another country). They had an interest in me, sexual as well, and I could feel it, but good lord, no matter what sort of sexual attraction there was between us, I couldn't have lived with myself knowing this was some in-the-shadows petty affair or that I took advantage of that poor miserable bastard and then caused even more pain to their partner.

And that's why I will never have any respect for those who give into such things. If I can keep it in my pants and have so many times in the past, so should you as my partner, but of course, everybody is free to write their own rules. I like to think I don't hold onto values in vain.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I do talk about my relationship with my brother. He is someone whose opinion I respect and who balances me. He is also my best friend. I don't talk about my relationship with my other family members or friends.

As an ENTP (my brother is an INFP), my brother helps me see emotional sides to things, and gives me a better perspective about how to sometimes look at things from my partner's point of view, or emotionally support me (which we all need, and which you don't necessarily get from a therapist or have the money to pay someone like a therapist to give you).

That said, there is a line you have to pay attention to, and to respect with you partner. There are things about my relationship with my partner I would not share with my brother, and my partner knows what I tell my brother because I disclose it to him so that he is not caught off guard and so that there are no secrets between us. We are all on the same page.

I am fine with my partner sharing as well with a person he trusts, as close relationships help us feel not alone and we all need social support sometimes.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts