Personality Cafe banner

Do you consider audio books as 'reading'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Check Signature. 100 characters is just awful.
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you consider audio books 'reading'?

No I don't.

Technically. unless you are following a physical book while using an audio book as a tool to help you along. Specifically. listening just audio books itself isn't in a written form it is just an 'audio' form.

Its like saying listening to the radio is reading. Its like listening to a conversation is reading. Reading doesn't mean listening actively to something. Reading means when picking up information from written information. Audio books are not in written form itself.

·
Registered
Check Signature. 100 characters is just awful.
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Banned
INFP 9w1 sp/so
2,470 Posts
I haven't really thought about it but I guess I'd just call it listening. Unless you're reading along as you're listening I suppose.

Reactions: Loonkin

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
Do you consider audio books 'reading'?

No I don't.

Technically. unless you are following a physical book while using an audio book as a tool to help you along. Specifically. listening just audio books itself isn't in a written form it is just an 'audio' form.

Its like saying listening to the radio is reading. Its like listening to a conversation is reading. Reading doesn't mean listening actively to something. Reading means when picking up information from written information. Audio books are not in written form itself.
Sort of? I had to take education classes for my major and reading is a form of audio verbal intelligence. So like people who are good at languages will use that same intelligence hearing and reading. It's connected somehow if you can't do both it's weird.

It IS weird because I personally hate things like crosswords. I like circle the word better. Circle the word implies pattern recognition and visual intelligence. Crosswords imply math problems my theory is that these people are left brained at secretly good at math.

The way my mind works climate change is just duh. I think anyone who can't see ecology as a whole is deficient. Who can't see spewing carbon into earth as spewing poison into a body is probably a moron. It's why I'm vegan. I recognize holistic patterns. I like story telling. History. Architecture. Religion. Philosophy. Cooking.

I'm your typical Renaissance woman but I find the NY Times Crosswords torture, endure math like a disease, and think audiobooks are better for me who likes storytelling than for someone who teaches grammar. A grammar teacher is very different than a novelist, a screenwriter different from an editor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I guess you can't technically calling it reading, but it can still be a very useful tool for learning, and if someone is blind obviously a superior choice.

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
3,186 Posts
No.

Reading is done by your eyes, not by your ears.

You are listening to a story, you aren't reading anything.

·
Registered
301 Posts
No. I prefer reading a book/an article anyway because the information finds their way to my subconcious mind better. When listening to an audio, my attention paying ability is pretty much different.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I answered "yes," but to clarify I was thinking about absorbing information. I feel like I've "read" a book if I've listened to it. Although I do agree with Mone that I absorb info differently if I truly read it. But I would hardly "read" anything besides online articles if I didn't listen to audiobooks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The pace of audiobooks is someone else's pace, not my own. It's therefore someone else's relationship to the story. My relationship to the story will slow down and speed up at every corner, take a quick return to reflect on a passage, pause between words. To make an audiobook represent my own relationship to that book would require an enormous amount of effort trying to customize the recording in real time.

Reactions: lilysocks

·
Registered
ENFP
4,207 Posts
It's just not the same. Especially if the person reading from the book doesn't match the author's writing voice- throws everything off a bit.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
No I don't
Most of the time audiobooks (for me) end up being background noise while I do other stuff.
Reading a book creates imagery as I fully pay attention and immerse myself in it

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's context-dependent. It's a book, so it can be seen as time spent reading and reading material. But it does not rely on the visual system, is slower than top speedreading, and allows for control over time and forced suspense (meanwhile, I can skip around in a physical book).

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,206 Posts
No. Have I seen a movie if I've only read its screenplay? Or played a game if I've only watched a walkthrough?

I do enjoy audiobooks, but they exist so you don't have to read.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts