• Early Generation Z

Votes: 79 35.0%
1 - 20 of 1006 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see opinions split on the matter.

Some believe people my age are the tail end of Gen Y because we remember a time before smartphones, fast internet, when VHS was standard, we were some of the last people to remember 9/11, and we were kids when the economy was still pretty stable.

However others believe we are Gen Z because we were born around the time the internet became popular, because we were teens when smartphones became popular, and because we were not 90's kids.

So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I say that they are Y for a number of reasons:

They can/could remember 9/11 and/or a time before the horrible disaster happened

They are able vote in the 2016 presidential election

Lived in a time when the older technology was common and in use

They are part of the audience of Y/millennial pop culture

Were already adolescents when the economy crashed in 2008

They will be close to 25 or college graduates when the Z pop culture takes over

Were kids during the golden age of cartoons

Were in school (even preschool) during the 1999-2000 school year

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I don't have a very strong argument other then it makes it seem really weird to me that the majority of my best friends are considered a different generation then me because they are a few years older. When we talk about life and culture or whatever together, we refer to each other as being in the same generation. Is the generation thing done by a certain year marker or just culturally? Because if it's culturally, then I feel as though I am in generation Y despite being born in 1995. It doesn't make sense to be classified to a generation that doesn't represent how/when you grew up and who your peers in life are.

I don't really know if I articulated this how I wished..

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I say that they are Y for a number of reasons:

They can/could remember 9/11 and/or a time before the horrible disaster happened

They are able vote in the 2016 presidential election

Lived in a time when the older technology was common and in use

They are part of the audience of Y/millennial pop culture

Were already adolescents when the economy crashed in 2008

They will be close to 25 or college graduates when the Z pop culture takes over

Were kids during the golden age of cartoons

Were in school (even preschool) during the 1999-2000 school year
I agree with all of this and yeah it seems more late gen y rather than early gen z. Maybe in a few years perC might change the generation boundaries

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a very strong argument other then it makes it seem really weird to me that the majority of my best friends are considered a different generation then me because they are a few years older. When we talk about life and culture or whatever together, we refer to each other as being in the same generation. Is the generation thing done by a certain year marker or just culturally? Because if it's culturally, then I feel as though I am in generation Y despite being born in 1995. It doesn't make sense to be classified to a generation that doesn't represent how/when you grew up and who your peers in life are.

I don't really know if I articulated this how I wished..
I am totally with you I have tons friends born in 94' and before and we get along fine. We grew up with many of the same toys, cartoons, TV shows, etc. We remember life before the internet was a necessity (circa 2004-2005) and we actually played outside and had a childhood(kids still play outside but it almost feels like some kids just do it to keep in shape, while we played outside because it was "fun!").

There might be a few differences between us and those born in the early-mid 80's but I still do not sense a generation gap between them and us, some of them are still into the pop culture of today!

Anyways this is just my opinion but I'm cool with older Gen Zers born in the late 90's and the early 00's ones seem like nice people(though they are still very young). However I still relate better with late 80's/early 90's babies better.

The kids of today growing up with iPads I cannot relate with at all...

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I was born in 1994, and this site considers me Gen Y, so I consider myself Gen Y.

Reactions: linguistic

·
Registered
720 Posts
I am 1994 and I consder myself apart of gen Y . Most people born 2000+ call me old so I say the cutoff is 96???

and tbh we should be talking about the culture and not who gets to join the club "Y are you here in the first place " X3

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am 1994 and I consder myself apart of gen Y . Most people born 2000+ call me old so I say the cutoff is 96???

and tbh we should be talking about the culture and not who gets to join the club "Y are you here in the first place " X3
I agree with you I believe culture is an important factor in understanding generations. Like the things that are aimed at young adults today like the Jimmy Fallon Show for instance would be looked back on in 15-20 years as a Millennial Tv show. Or how we grew up during the era of bubblegum pop during our childhoods in the 90s and 00s or the post grunge/nu metal movement of the early-mid 00s, things like that

·
Registered
720 Posts
I agree with you I believe culture is an important factor in understanding generations. Like the things that are aimed at young adults today like the Jimmy Fallon Show for instance would be looked back on in 15-20 years as a Millennial Tv show. Or how we grew up during the era of bubblegum pop during our childhoods in the 90s and 00s or the post grunge/nu metal movement of the early-mid 00s, things like that
A better example would be the greatest generation 1901-1928. They are the biggest generation then even Gen Ys yet they are all clumped up in the same generation even tho 1900s would have a way diffrent culture than thos born in the 1920s. I am guessing soon Gen Y could be clumped up with Gen X or even Gen Z and can be called " the second great generation " of sorts once we hit our 50s XD

·
Registered
532 Posts
True but some sources state Gen Z as 1994-2010, so I decided to include it. Also do you consider those born from 95'-97' Gen Y as well or no?
The definitions used by perC is very old. This theory came when half of gen Yers under 18. im a 94 born, i cant relate to a
2004 born, coz they are real gen z. 2002/2003 is the last year which qualifies gen y. There are reasons.
They they can even remember a time before smartphones. Some Old technologies used upto 2006/07.
90s borns are core gen Ys.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think 1996 is the last of the Generation Y bloodline. There's something different about people born in 1997 compared to those born in 1996.
Yeah i've seen some sources state that 96' is the last Y year but idk I have friends born in 97' and they do not seem much different. I think 97' is the last true Y year and 98' is the start of YZ cusps

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am confused as hell, what is it even based on? I put down gen z as I am 96 and many internet results said 95 was the last year for gen Y

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am confused as hell, what is it even based on? I put down gen z as I am 96 and many internet results said 95 was the last year for gen Y
Its based on what you grew up with. I've seen some sources say that 94, 95, or even 96 were the last Gen Y years. Personally I relate a little more with Gen Y because I grew up with technology while Gen Z for the most part were born with technology see the difference?

There's a few other cultural boundaries I noticed such as:

Gen Y remembering 9/11 & Life before hand

The Web 1.0 Era of the Internet when Dial Up was common and before social media became mainstream

Grew up with VHS

Remembering the 90s and or the early 00s

Grew up during the Golden/Silver Age Of Cartoons of the Late 80s-1990s-Early 00s

Were children during the booming economy of the 90s & 00s

Spending their tweens/teens in the 00s decade

Spending their young adult years in the late 00s and 2010s

Stuff like that, If you relate to all 7 of these or close to them then I would say you are Y

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I think 1996 is the last of the Generation Y bloodline. There's something different about people born in 1997 compared to those born in 1996.
What do you notice different about 1996 born's compared to 1997 born's? Just anything related based off childhood, growing up, etc.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Its based on what you grew up with. I've seen some sources say that 94, 95, or even 96 were the last Gen Y years. Personally I relate a little more with Gen Y because I grew up with technology while Gen Z for the most part were born with technology see the difference?

There's a few other cultural boundaries I noticed such as:

Gen Y remembering 9/11 & Life before hand

The Web 1.0 Era of the Internet when Dial Up was common and before social media became mainstream

Grew up with VHS

Remembering the 90s and or the early 00s

Grew up during the Golden/Silver Age Of Cartoons of the Late 80s-1990s-Early 00s

Were children during the booming economy of the 90s & 00s

Spending their tweens/teens in the 00s decade

Spending their young adult years in the late 00s and 2010s

Stuff like that, If you relate to all 7 of these or close to them then I would say you are Y
This makes sense, and many of those characteristics do apply to me, my younger sister born in mid 1998 on the other hand, she does remember the very tail end of VHS, but when it comes to everything else, a HUGE difference when it comes to interests and nostalgia.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This makes sense, and many of those characteristics do apply to me, my younger sister born in mid 1998 on the other hand, she does remember the very tail end of VHS, but when it comes to everything else, a HUGE difference when it comes to interests and nostalgia.
Do you guys get along in general?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Do you guys get along in general?
Hahaha LOL, it's a complicated story, she is currently a junior in high school right now, while I just graduated last year so I'm 2 1/2 years older than her, but over the years we've fight, argued with each other, and we've forgiven each other.

Now when it comes to pop cultural stuff, our taste in music are different, most of the music I liked growing up are hit music, hip-hop, R&B, and some country music from the 2000's and the year 2010, while most of the music she liked from the 2000's were tween-bop music and boy-bands and the mainstream music she likes now are the ones from this decade.

When it come to TV shows we get nostalgic for, we disagree with each other completely and it's so funny. The gap is noticeable though.

I'm really good in Math & I want to get into Computer/Electrical Engineering, while she's into Literature & Journalism.

1 - 20 of 1006 Posts