Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
ENTP
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't.

My earliest memories are from when I was 3, and by then it was 2000. I hate it when I see people my age calling themselves "90's kids", especially when it's like "If you remember (insert 00's thing here), then you're a 90's kid"...

I'm not sure the earlier Gen Z'ers though. So how about you guys? :happy:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
No. I was, what, 3? on the last year of the 90's. I can barely remember anything from that time. Except the music. My parents still play tapes from the late 80's- early 90's so that music was pretty much ingrained into my brain at a young age. How can you be considered a child of the 90's when you weren't even a toddler by the end of it? The constant commercialization and nostalgia woes for the 90's irks me.

It's an era we can't get back, stop trying to relive it. When kids who weren't even children in the 90's era boast about being a "90's child" or having seen shows from the 90's which, I can beg to differ are in all actuality from the early 2000s, it gets annoying. It's also annoying when those who are a little older than me like to boast about being a kid in the 90's and how cool it was when they hardly remember much of it at all. Unless you were born sometime in the 80's, you're in no way a "90's child". You may have lived like one, had similar toys/gadgets/clothes etc. like one, but no, that term should not be used and at this point, abused in such an improper context.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Unless you were born sometime in the 80's, you're in no way a "90's child". You may have lived like one, had similar toys/gadgets/clothes etc. like one, but no, that term should not be used and at this point, abused in such an improper context.
Well, I was born in 1990 and don't consider myself a 2000s child at all. :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't consider myself a 90's kid, since I was born 3 years before 2000. However, I did grow up around a lot of the stuff because my sister was a 90's kid.

I do agree with the OP on the fact that way too many teens my age boast about being 90's kids.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I see a lot of people talking about things they remember from the 90s that were actually from the early 2000s. Like Spongebob. Or things like Fresh Prince that is a 90s show but they probably watched later on.

I was born in 94 so could just about call myself a 90s kid since I have three years of memories of the 90s but they're very blurry memories. I think no one post-95 has any claim to being a 90s kid and those post-92 can't talk much either. I'd say you'd have to have at least 5 years of memories (assuming memories start around age 3) to really be a 90s kid.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Unless you were born sometime in the 80's, you're in no way a "90's child". You may have lived like one, had similar toys/gadgets/clothes etc. like one, but no, that term should not be used and at this point, abused in such an improper context.
I must say I disagree to a certain degree.
While I don't 100% consider myself a "90s kid", I was born in the first half of the 90s, and I remember the second half fairly well.
The music, the clothing, the stupid haircuts, how weird it was to see a guy in Wal-mart who had is left AND right ear pierced.
Watching Chip N Dale, Tale Spin, tapes of Inspector Gadget, Blues Clues (first runs, when it would come on, with Steve. I've seen a bunch of 00s kids BSing about how they remember the "good ol' days of Steve", but Steve left in 2002.), tapes of Speed Racer from Cartoon Network's Afternoon Adventures, tons of Cosby Show reruns, and TVLand when it showed old television all the time.
Nick At Nite.. Ba ba block party suuuummer. (Mostly for I Dream of Jeannie.. That was Thursday, I think)
The Christmas gifts..
Yeah, I may not remember the first half, but I still to an extent consider myself a 90s kid.
I'll be 20 in January, so technically I'm not actually Gen Z in the first place, though.
Still.. Many of you who were born in the early late 90s/early 2000s will undoubtedly feel nostalgic about the mid/late 2000s, and that's perfectly normal.

[Edit] I'm sure there are some of those memories that are from the beginning of the 2000s.. Still.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I do. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to remember being alive in the 90s, but if you were born in that era and grew up with the things from that era, then that still counts. I grew up with the 90s tv shows, toys, clothes etc. even though I was only born in Feb '96. Obviously I had a lot of 00s stuff as well but that doesn't take away from the prior things.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I honestly think I am pretty justified in calling myself a "90's kid". That is, if I had to identify with any decade at all. I could see the argument "you have to remember the whole thing for it to count", but I just didn't have enough childhood memories from the 2000's (teenage memories don't count since they feel different) for me to feel right identifying with it. I'm just rounding it off, which is exactly what someone born in the mid to late 90's does when they call themselves a 2000's kid. (Like Donny Darko, I was born in 1990).

Decades are arbitrary to begin with; we are just associating pop cultural stereotypes with them, but they are not the most "natural" way to divide pop culture by time. Often the beginning of a decade has more in common with the end of the last decade than its own end - the 1960's are an example.

We're also not "Gen Zers", which is the generation this thread is about. But again, you could argue late Gen Y'ers like me have more in common with early Gen Z'ers than someone born in the late 70's.

Again, I think you'd be right.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In a literal sense, sure. I was born in 1990.

In a sense of being integrated with 90s culture? Not at all.
Most younger 90s kids weren't very integrated with 90s culture that much, other than the kids' stuff. IMO there's a difference between being a 90s kid and a 90s teen (or part of the "90s generation"). The latter were the ones who really knew 90s culture first hand, but a lot of them were 80s kids at the start, some were even late generation X.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I honestly think I am pretty justified in calling myself a "90's kid". That is, if I had to identify with any decade at all. I could see the argument "you have to remember the whole thing for it to count"
Yeah in that case, a kid born in 1988 would have to count as a 00s kid, which seems pretty ridiculous considering they turned 21 in that decade. :p

I consider childhood ages 3-12 and I'd say if you spent more than 50 percent of that span before 2001 (which is when the 90s ceased to be the "present era") you'd count as a 90s kid. I'd put 1992 around the borderline. As a 1990er I definitely had a 90s childhood but people 3 years younger than me seem to identify with the early 00s a lot more.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Nope xD I lived like what, 2 or 3 years in the 90's? But I don't remember anything from then ._. In fact, I can't remember memories from when my sister was born (in 2000) to at least a year later (Bad memory since birth, hahahahas xD). So yep, basically I've always been a 21st centaur :ninja::angry::laughing:! Except I'd existed before the century began. But meh! I'll volunteer to be part of the founders then >:D

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
According to Strauss-Howe, the oldest members of Gen Z are EIGHT YEARS OLD. They weren't even a spark in their daddy's eye in the 90s. They weren't even thought of until well into the Noughties.

In order to be a "90's kid" (I'm thinking you were born before 1995 to actually remember the 90s at all, even as a small child) ....you'd have to be a bare minimum of 18 years old today, and therefore NOT Gen Z.

You'd be Gen Y. Even by this forum's standards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was born in 1996, and I have no recollection of anything prior to the early 00s, but I do have vivid memories of my childhood and the technology which shaped it - namely video game consoles, Gateway home computers, and the retro 80s computers I learned to type on when I was in elementary school. I don't consider myself a "90s kid" by some standard definition, because I wasn't old enough to even understand yet alone remember the media from that era, if it was an influence in my childhood or not.

I eagerly desire to question those my age and slightly older who reminisce about the 80's/90's, even though they were either not even born, or still in their nappies for most of the decade.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Most younger 90s kids weren't very integrated with 90s culture that much, other than the kids' stuff. IMO there's a difference between being a 90s kid and a 90s teen (or part of the "90s generation"). The latter were the ones who really knew 90s culture first hand, but a lot of them were 80s kids at the start, some were even late generation X.
Good point. But in my opinion being a decade kid has more to do with what things you're nostalgic from out of early childhood and less to do with what formed you in terms of your mentality and your worldview, at least that's normally how I hear the term being used.

The 2000's might have been more formative for someone born in 1990 mentally, but in many ways I'd even suggest the current decade. Someone in their early or mid 20's is very much still having experiences that will form them and change them, and that's the age when you start becoming more independent too.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.