Personality Cafe banner

I would call myself....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's said that intelligence is often claimed but rarely demonstrated. Many people consider themselves to be intelligent, but there are a multitude of opinions as far as the precise meaning of the word goes.

Do you think that you're intelligent? Why? What do you think makes a person intelligent or not?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Average intelligence, definitely. Around 110.

Intelligence is the speed at which someone can process information (i.e. encounter > understand > internalize) and use it in conceptual, innovative, and logical ways.

It has nothing to do with depth of thought and complexity as a person. I have met complete morons with high IQs who lives of chaos, debauchery, and self-centeredness. People I wouldn't pee on if a sting-ray touched them. And would perhaps eat on a stranded island even if I knew the Coast Guard was coming soon. I've also met lower IQ people who are amazing, noble, and interesting. More so than me.

I haven't notices a rhyme of reason to it. It can be both ways.

I dislike how society regards intelligence as a virtue. It's like the current zeitgeist of Western values are "Intelligent, laid-back, and fluent-in-sarcasm!" - which is what I read on 80% of dating profiles nowadays. It makes me go:

"Blechk. Another special snowflake." :dry:

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I'd say meh in regards to my intelligence. I test very well, my IQ tests typically put me between 140-145, but those tests are skewed in so many ways I have no great regard for those results. I don't feel particularly intelligent, I spend much of my time utterly confused.
Additionally much like @WhateverLolaWants said, I've seen people with apparently stupendous intelligence do the most incredibly foolish things, and seen people with sub par intelligence show great depth, wisdom and forethought. In my opinion those numbers mean nothing, its the actions of the people that count. When I was in high school I tested for and was accepted into Mensa, I was told that made me a genius, if thats the case then the word itself loses all meaning. If I'm at the upper tier of human intelligence then I suspect we're screwed.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Average intelligence, definitely. Around 110.

Intelligence is the speed at which someone can process information (i.e. encounter > understand > internalize) and use it in conceptual, innovative, and logical ways.

It has nothing to do with depth of thought and complexity as a person. I have met complete morons with high IQs who lives of chaos, debauchery, and self-centeredness. People I wouldn't pee on if a sting-ray touched them. And would perhaps eat on a stranded island even if I knew the Coast Guard was coming soon. I've also met lower IQ people who are amazing, noble, and interesting. More so than me.

I haven't notices a rhyme of reason to it. It can be both ways.

I dislike how society regards intelligence as a virtue. It's like the current zeitgeist of Western values are "Intelligent, laid-back, and fluent-in-sarcasm!" - which is what I read on 80% of dating profiles nowadays. It makes me go:

"Blechk. Another special snowflake." :dry:
U didn't take an online IO test right?i heard those are just fakes

I heard an IQ test only works if you pay for it and do it by paper and pencil.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
U didn't take an online IO test right?i heard those are just fakes

I heard an IQ test only works if you pay for it and do it by paper and pencil.
I did take IQ tests online. I thought they were "fake" in that people tend to score higher than they usually would because they're easier and shorter. Meaning my IQ might be lower...

I believe 110 would be accurate as I struggle a lot information acquisition both academically and in job training. My IQ might seem high to some people because I'm booky, thoughtful, and introspective - stuff that's stereotypically associated with high IQ in the media.

I know someone who is 27, smokes dope all day, can't drive, have never held employment, yet was a "gifted" child/teen who scores around 150. He is boring in conversation and extremely crass (pretty much always has been)...and people would estimate his IQ to be low-average upon meeting him.

I'd like to take a legit test someday and see for sure though. I've thought about it.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I guess... IQ tests tend to place me somewhere round and about the 98th percentile. I have decent reasoning skills and performed well above average academically (when I could be bothered at least), but I do believe I'm a bit of an idiot. Everybody knows something I don't know, and I can only reason within the confines my own perception and limited life experience, so it stands to reason that I know jack shit about most things.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I don't believe that intelligence is an actual thing. It has no definition we can all agree upon but is rather used with different meanings in different contexts. It is therefore just a conversational word with no specific meaning although it sounds smart.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
It's said that intelligence is often claimed but rarely demonstrated. Many people consider themselves to be intelligent, but there are a multitude of opinions as far as the precise meaning of the word goes.

Do you think that you're intelligent? Why? What do you think makes a person intelligent or not?
I am smart enough to realize that I know very little. There are tons of subjects I know nothing about. Potentially every single person on the planet can tell me something I don't know, it's a very humbling realization.

Having said that: I still see myself as an intelligent person. I am very quick on my feet, a fast learner, able to process a lot of information swiftly, able to synthesize information etc.

According to my official IQ test, which tested multiple types of intelligence, I have an IQ somewhere between 138-145. Nice to know, but in the end it is just a number to me. One can raise your IQ by training your brain and becoming more knowledgeable also helps. Lifelong learners are often the most intelligent people on the planet. However IQ is mostly a trait you are born with, call it a talent if you will. Some waste their talent, some develop it and make full use of it and some just don't care whether they use it or not. In my schooldays I chose to develop my talent and now I can genuinely say that I am (almost) always the smartest person in the room. However despite being smart I am not often the most successful person in the room, because I made a few poor choices regarding my career. Intelligent people also make mistakes. That. Is a universal human thing.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Like most people, I think I am above average :wink:.

I also had it fed to me over and over in my childhood that I am book smart; they put me a in a gifted program in school (roughly 5% of the kids), I earned excellent grades & received lots of academic awards, etc, and all without trying very hard (I could be a slacker, and I ditched school a lot). I also tended to score in the top 1% on those state standardized tests and did pretty well on the SATS with no preparation. None of this is IQ (unless that test they used to determine who made it into GATE was an IQ test, but I don't remember), and I don't know my IQ nor care; however, I think these are typical ways people gauge the intellectual kind of intelligence. So when it came to measuring where I stood among peers intellectually, then I tended to be above average. However, navigating the social realm was very hard for me, and I was very out of touch with my body, appearing pretty stupid in sports.

In everyday matters, I can be hopelessly stupid. I constantly lose stuff, I get lost everywhere I go, and I once had to youtube how to use a can opener. But I understand complex stuff with relative ease.

In terms of personal accomplishments as an adult, then I am extremely average. Who knows if I have or had any ability to be more than average in life, but I do know I was good at learning concepts quickly, and I think I've maintained that as an adult, although I don't apply it well.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I am smart enough to realize that I know very little. There are tons of subjects I know nothing about. Potentially every single person on the planet can tell me something I don't know, it's a very humbling realization.

Having said that: I still see myself as an intelligent person. I am very quick on my feet, a fast learner, able to process a lot of information swiftly, able to synthesize information etc.

According to my official IQ test, which tested multiple types of intelligence, I have an IQ somewhere between 138-145. Nice to know, but in the end it is just a number to me. One can raise your IQ by training your brain and becoming more knowledgeable also helps. Lifelong learners are often the most intelligent people on the planet. However IQ is mostly a trait you are born with, call it a talent if you will. Some waste their talent, some develop it and make full use of it and some just don't care whether they use it or not. In my schooldays I chose to develop my talent and now I can genuinely say that I am (almost) always the smartest person in the room. However despite being smart I am not often the most successful person in the room, because I made a few poor choices regarding my career. Intelligent people also make mistakes. That. Is a universal human thing.
There is a much larger truth to the bolded part. The Flynn effect is the fact that people who would have taken the IQ test 100 years ago would have gotten an average of 80 points, while many places in Africa today the average would be around 70. This shows how environment must be the dominant factor in quality of analytical thinking, you don't just develop it without the proper tools. Obviously there are individual differences, but the trait is still highly malleable and will therefore often be decided by, say, where a child has its curiousity and therefore what books it reads or what stuff it thinks about.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
There is a much larger truth to the bolded part. The Flynn effect is the fact that people who would have taken the IQ test 100 years ago would have gotten an average of 80 points, while many places in Africa today the average would be around 70. This shows how environment must be the dominant factor in quality of analytical thinking, you don't just develop it without the proper tools. Obviously there are individual differences, but the trait is still highly malleable and will therefore often be decided by, say, where a child has its curiousity and therefore what books it reads or what stuff it thinks about.
Thank you for englightening me on the Flynn effect :) Learned something new today.

Reactions: UnicornRainbowLove

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I have a pretty good recall for obscure facts, can see some complex relationships that others can't, was often described as "smart", BUT...I never graduated from college (even had failing marks in some courses), have no sense of what I want to do with my life, have been unemployed for 1½ years, and continue to refuse to play the employment game of corporate America.

Am I intelligent? Am I? :sad:

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I have a pretty good recall for obscure facts, can see some complex relationships that others can't, was often described as "smart", BUT...I never graduated from college (even had failing marks in some courses), have no sense of what I want to do with my life, have been unemployed for 1½ years, and continue to refuse to play the employment game of corporate America.

Am I intelligent? Am I? :sad:
The closest I have ever been to defining intelligence is "to be superior in something which has to do with thinking". That definition is purely taken from how the word is normally used in conversation and therefore you might not like it all too much, but I am sure you are superior in some things though which does make you intelligent. Still, intelligence is just a word.

Reactions: Turlowe and yippy

·
Registered
491 Posts
I like to think I'm somewhat above average. I did pretty well in school but not without putting some work into it and I think I'm okay at understanding the underlying principle behind things. However, whenever it comes time to use my intelligence when it counts, around other people, I usually fail pretty miserably. I guess you can say I fail at awareness intelligence (if that's a thing).

Something that's curious to me that I've wanted to ask on here is: do you guys find that you don't do to well on things the first time around but you knock it out of the park the second time around? There have been a few times where I had to take a test and didn't do so hot but when I was allowed to take it a second time I got a much higher score. I didn't even study for the second time around. I guess it's just because I had more time to process what they were asking. Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I can relate to a lot of what @OrangeAppled said, school was always easy for me, I learned quickly and got really good grades without even trying that hard. Skipping classes was actually a bad habit of mine, I did it a lot. There were times when I would only go to school three or four days a week, but I never got into trouble for it, probably because it didn't affect my grades at all. But anyway, I don't consider myself that smart, I'm quite average. I think the reason I did well in school was just the fact that I was good at writing and connecting things in my mind. I have no idea about my IQ.

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
Online thingymajigs have given me IQ scores (ugh) I'd credit of 132-146, and some higher and lower in which I thought the tests were just too ridiculous and it was obvious that they heavily featured some particular arbitrary thing I did very well or very badly in. In as much as intelligence seems to popularly exist only in as far as it can be 'measured' like that, I'd rate myself above average. Never taken the proper instrument and I'd expect to score lower if I did, I'm in no doubt the online stuff is generally easier. I took a similar test a couple of times in high school and got the top category.
Historically I've been a slacker at school and an A- sort of student with minimal effort. I was always recognised as a smart kid and told I was well-spoken. As much as I hate standardised tests I've generally done well in them. I passed two years' worth of A levels with 90 minutes revision each, which was hilarious (we were meant to revise about five months prior) which if anything demonstrates that I'm good at cramming. That's about it. I skipped about half my classes for the last few months of high school and got coffee instead.

It's obligatory to debunk the idea of intelligence at this point SO I WILL. I can't do high school level maths, which is traditionally 'intelligent'. I can't do pattern recognition pretty much at all, which is traditionally 'intelligent'. My ability to understand systems and visualise is great, my use of words is pretty good, I write using pretty much an archaic form of English which I seem to have invented. I have exceptionally poor memory, I lose all my stuff, am extremely disorganised in many things, I have significant gaps in what intelligence is meant to encompass and significant strengths in what it doesn't recognise. Did I mention my eyes bleed when I see numbers? In terms of raw processing power I have, through depression and associated crap, seen a major decline in what I can do. I think on half the level I did a year and a half ago and have trouble now comprehending and beginning basic essays. It's depressing how bad it's got. My IQ scores have been consistent, soooo yeah. I don't give much credit to the traditional concept of intelligence or how it's measured.
I generally think I have above average but not exceptional intelligence given my life experiences but I have substantial problems and deficiencies with it in itself, and actually seeing anything of it. You'd think if I was a genius I would have nicer things and it's not entirely from not attempting to apply it. In short I have several huge gaps in what intelligence is meant to be for someone who got whatever scores I did, and like many in the thread I struggle to apply it to real life at all.

I was reminded of the effect when I read this thread wherein the above-average in intelligence will tend to underrate themselves the more intelligent they are and the below-average will tend to overrate themselves the more below-average they are. Then again, I wonder how they figured that out. In any case I find myself deeply suspicious of anyone who immediately chooses to describe themselves as 'intelligent'. I've got into thinking the most valuable trait related to intelligence is to be able to correctly recognise what you don't know - to my credit I have the answer to just about nothing and am happy to pass things off. Incidentally I've found that skill or lack thereof in all sorts of people, who test intelligent or not. Intelligence doesn't mean much to me, I'd rather be friends with someone who likes to learn. Like dogs.
Someone of completely average intelligence can understand quantum superposition just fine. The skill of being open-minded and not being a dick is more exclusive.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts