Personality Cafe banner

Do you consider yourself more of a:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have pretty analytical people in here, but the ISTJ isn't known as the scientist like the INTJ. So I'm curious to know which you prefer to consider yourself.

I've never had a thirst for knowledge, but I have a drive to improve and contribute to the solution. I've never thought of myself as more of a scientist, but a philosopher instead.

Ha, my physics teacher dubbed me "(My name) the phiosopher". The guy would ask me vague opened ended questions about existence during the first days of class and I would give him philosophical answers. I could tell he thought they were deep, and definitely not having to do with physics. I gave him a headache often.

scientist - an expert in science, esp. one of the physical or natural sciences.

philosopher - a person who offers views or theories on profound questions in ethics, metaphysics, logic, and other related fields.

·
Registered
421 Posts
How do you define the difference between a scientist and a philosopher?

Like Wikipedia?
A scientist in a broad sense is one engaging in a systematic activity to acquire knowledge... This is distinct from philosophers, those who use logic toward a more comprehensive understanding of intangible aspects of reality that lack a direct connection to nature, focusing on the realm of thought itself. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientist>
Based on this definition I would choose scientist because I connect more with tangible things like past experiences (which you could argue are 'intangible' but I see them as tangible while I would categorise feelings as intangible).

Poor physics teacher :crazy:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Philosophy is too abstract for my liking. I'll never, ever take a philosophy class because of the things they ask you to do for assignments are ridiculous.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am studying to be a scientist. =P

However, there should be a third option: Engineer.

Scientists study the natural world around them, and seek to learn new laws, and relationships between natural things.

Engineers apply the known laws to practical, and/or economical uses.

Most of the ISTJ I know, myself included, fall more into the 'Engineer' mind-set. Theories, to me, are pointless unless I can apply it to solve a practical problem.

·
Registered
421 Posts
scientist - an expert in science, esp. one of the physical or natural sciences.

philosopher - a person who offers views or theories on profound questions in ethics, metaphysics, logic, and other related fields.
Using that definition I would put myself down as philosopher because I have zilch interest in acquiring knowledge in sciences such as biology, chemistry and physics (unless I have misread your definition). If I haven't misread your definitions, I think that your definitions may produce an (unintentional?) bias as it seems to be splitting people between whether they like acquiring knowledge in science subjects vs whether they like to think about other non-scientific matters.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Using that definition I would put myself down as philosopher because I have zilch interest in acquiring knowledge in sciences such as biology, chemistry and physics (unless I have misread your definition). If I haven't misread your definitions, I think that your definitions may produce an (unintentional?) bias as it seems to be splitting people between whether they like acquiring knowledge in science subjects vs whether they like to think about other non-scientific matters.
I trust dictionary.com for all materials when it comes to use of dictionaries and thesauruses

Which philosopher definition would you choose from the site?
phi·los·o·pher   
[fi-los-uh-fer] Show IPA
–noun
a person who offers views or theories on profound questions in ethics, metaphysics, logic, and other related fields.
a person who is deeply versed in philosophy.
a person who establishes the central ideas of some movement, cult, etc.
a person who regulates his or her life, actions, judgments, utterances, etc., by the light of philosophy or reason.
a person who is rationally or sensibly calm, esp. under trying circumstances.
Obsolete . an alchemist or occult scientist.

sci·en·tist   
[sahy-uhn-tist] Show IPA
–noun
an expert in science, esp. one of the physical or natural sciences.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I trust dictionary.com for all materials when it comes to use of dictionaries and thesauruses

Which philosopher definition would you choose from the site?
The ones you chose. I also like this definition too: philosopher: definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta
3. thinking person: a thinker who deeply and seriously considers human affairs and life in general
You have clarified my understanding of what you wanted (I had previously been wondering if you were thinking more about how information is processed or conclusions made between the two types etc).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Probably more scientist than philosopher. As far as scientists go though, I consider myself as more of a "political" or "historical" scientist than a environmental or biological scientist. I think "engineer" would be the closest classsification to me, however.

Reactions: niss and Wake

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Probably more scientist than philosopher. As far as scientists go though, I consider myself as more of a "political" or "historical" scientist than a environmental or biological scientist. I think "engineer" would be the closest classsification to me, however.
sociology is cool. I love my history lessons from a view of a sociologist's perspective.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
My ISTJ is very good in engineering aspects.

He is also one who views loyalty very deeply.

I think he'd make a good scientist when it comes to improving systems and a good philosopher when it comes to rationalizing about the security that should be implemented in human interactions.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Interesting thread. I'm an INTP so I won't vote (don't want to skew your results) but I feel more like a philosophically motivated scientist, or a scientifically motivated philosopher; I either want to understand an abstract theory/subject of a scientific nature, or I am drawn to scientifically understanding or categorizing (sometimes defining) a philosophical item.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting thread. I'm an INTP so I won't vote (don't want to skew your results) but I feel more like a philosophically motivated scientist, or a scientifically motivated philosopher; I either want to understand an abstract theory/subject of a scientific nature, or I am drawn to scientifically understanding or categorizing (sometimes defining) a philosophical item.
It would be interesting to float this thread on the NT forums to see what they come up with. I thought we would score more highly in philosopher

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would consider my ISTJ friend more a philosopher than a scientist. While he likes his facts he is not into doing intense study and research to prove or disprove a null hypothesis. But he will discuss his view on a wide range of topics, even metaphysical topics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
science, is A philosophy. there are many philosophies

a philosopher would examine multiple philosophies and the nature of philosophizing, whereas a more scientist type person (although it's impossible to be completely limited to this realm, so I am talking emphasis here) would be much, much, much, much, much more self limiting in terms of different philosophical outlooks, and spend more time broadening their science type understanding, rather than their "general philosophical" type understanding

example would be : socrates versus aristotle, "what is the good?" compared to "I wonder which types of materials would make the best component for ancient heat death rays"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts