Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do realize when movies use tricks to try to manipulate you into having an emotional reaction, but at the same time, I really cry at a lot of movies, when they hit a nerve.

Actually, it's one of the main reasons why I don't like watching films with other people around, cause I might break down at some point..I only go to comedies or horror films.

Last time I wept at "The Day The Earth Stood Still"

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have on occasion while watching some documentaries. When it comes to fiction I usually cringe instead.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
^ That. If it excites me about existence/ing.

"The Universe" on THC (The History Channel, but also the other thing):

Iron Man:

A Walk to Remember:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I only really cry at movies when I identify with the character. As self-pitying as it sounds (but hey that's a specific trait of INTPs), I cry or become agitated:
1. when there's been a terrible injustice and even if they get revenge, if the original wrong can never be fixed i.e. maggie gyllenhal in the dark knight
2. when there's a misunderstanding, and no one believes or sides with the character. i.e. edmond dantes in the count of monte cristo
3. if the character sacrifices themselves for a higher purpose i.e. bruce willis in armageddon
4. if the character loses the one thing they cherish or person that understands them. i.e. when artax dies in the never-ending story or when julia roberts dies in steel magnolias
5. when old people are sad/alone/betrayed/dying D: i.e. peter parker's aunt after his uncle dies or when the dog dies in my dog skip

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I also feel like weeping when I'm actually cringing. I have never understood that reaction. When something is so embarrassingly bad you just can't stand it...? Does that happen to any of you?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also feel like weeping when I'm actually cringing. I have never understood that reaction. When something is so embarrassingly bad you just can't stand it...? Does that happen to any of you?
Oh yeah. When it's such a cliche or a cheaply executed ploy to win over your emotions? i just feel humiliated for the production team. :/ i cringe/laugh/whine and usually have to fast-forward.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I remember I cried horribly after seeing Titanic...just watching so many souls lost... (mind you I was only like 12 :laughing:)

The last movie I cried at was, I believe, The Time Machine. At the end, when I realized he could never go back. Because even though he had found that place that made him happy, someone else had lost him...and he had a part of him as well. Just to be so far away from something you know, so far in time that you can never return...I was upset for days.

Same thing happened after Knowing, knowing (lol @ puns) that they could never return, never go back...and Inception, knowing that Cobb was stuck down there, that he could never get out of his mind... (<-- possible spoiler)

I guess it's not really the movie that makes me cry, but the implications, the meaning behind it all. I get to thinking about things...and then it's just all shot to hell :frustrating:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I only really cry at movies when I identify with the character.
Yup exactly...although, I have a tough time crying in any situation BUT I do get misty eyed for very specific flicks like Cinderella Man, Russell Crowe's character reminds me a lot of my pop and Rudy, however, his character doesn't remind me of anyone, but that ending kills me every time i see it :sad:

Funny thing is, most sports movies kill me...and Im the one guy on the planet that hates watching sports and ESPN :laughing:

·
Registered
INTP Female
26,829 Posts
Sometimes I do, yes, especially if there's been an injustice - I particularly do not like murder, especially for the purposes of revenge or some other childish reason that seems so unnecessary and violent.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I can only remember once ever coming close to crying at a movie. I very much enjoy the movie theaters and have been moved by many films and one audience.

Once I was on a double date for Titanic, and when the boat finally sank my GF and I were ready to leave. The lights came on and the guy dating my GF's sister was bawling. I thought 'did we see the same film?' I also thought he was faking but I didn't know him that well.

The most powerful theater experience I ever had was Saving Private Ryan. I saw the early showing around noon and was the youngest person in an audience of all seniors. I thought that movie was incredible, and did tear up at the end when he asked his family at the graveyard if he was a good enough man. When the lights came on, at least a dozen of the men over 65 were crying in their wives' arms. Some were wearing their old military uniforms. I have never experienced anything similar in my lifetime, and I remember feeling unworthy to be in their presence.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I absolutely must confess, there have been several movies and shows that have DESTROYED me inside. Im not sure why but its almost like the best of both worlds being able to cry from something relatively fictional, its like there is no physical anchor to cause a lasting turmoil or distress, yet you get that oddly warm feeling when the salt water starts running. (sicko attracted to sorrow? YOU DECIDE :shocked: )

THE WORST i've ever been hit is when I watched a movie called The House of Sand and Fog. Sir Ben Kingsley plays this stoic military man, he loses his son over some stupid meaningless shit, and there is a scene were he just caresses his dead sons cheek, and his eyes well up and he tilts his head a bit to the side and winces, it KILLED ME, i lost about 20 minutes to uncontrollable sobs from that scene, but who am I kidding, it felt pretty awesum. i dont usually cry when i should so maybe its catch up or something. braveheart too, i musta been depressed the last time i seen that movie cuz i cryed on several occations before the end.

NOTHINGNEW- what you said about the saving private ryan, and the war vets...that is profound, i got goosebumps bro.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can think of two instances where I cry during a movie:

1) I can emotionally relate the the character. If I've been in a car accident I will relate better to a character who also has been in a car accident. I suppose it hits some I my emotional buttons that I try so desperately to hide.

2) It involves a death of some kind (especially murder). I suppose I place a high value on human life and death really impacts me.

I cried during the movie Wit. (It comes to mind since I actually saw part of it today.)

·
Registered
89 Posts
totally agree with kiera on this one, as it happens every single instance i have been bitchslapped by the teartrain its had something to do with death, of course not the death itself so much as the portrayal of grief by those within the fiction, or the sheer poetic injustice of the death or deaths in question

and there is no disagrement with idea that the closer the movie or show comes to the events experienced in real life, the more powerful the effect, i respect it as true skill and mastery of the people behind the writing of the script, the performance given by the actors, and the production of the film. if i was any of these people i would gauge my talents solely on the ability to effect the audience as desired.

also this has got me thinking about whether I am actually crying at the events depicted in these films, or simply using these instances as a possible outlet for moments in real life where i have successfully buried my emotions to avoid embarassment or project an air of masculine stern-ness and strenth.

i love this magical forum :laughing:

·
Registered
89 Posts
THE WORST i've ever been hit is when I watched a movie called The House of Sand and Fog. Sir Ben Kingsley plays this stoic military man, he loses his son over some stupid meaningless shit, and there is a scene were he just caresses his dead sons cheek, and his eyes well up and he tilts his head a bit to the side and winces, it KILLED ME, i lost about 20 minutes to uncontrollable sobs from that scene, but who am I kidding, it felt pretty awesum. i dont usually cry when i should so maybe its catch up or something.
Huh. Yes I can see that. I had not really evaluated whether crying at movies was really a subconscious attempt to vent my emotions. But seeing how I cry at movies that directly relate to things that have happened to me or death (a concept I also tend to have several emotional experiences with) I see this as highly probable. Especially since many people cry at movies. It becomes a "safe" environment to cry and be emotional simply because everyone else is doing it. In a sense it also maintains my privacy. The people around me don't know why I personally get so emotionally involved in the movie. They don't realize that the events directly correlate to my life.

Aside from all that, it can take the burden off my shoulders to analyze to death my emotions. Since everyone is crying, I can safely just simply say that its sad or touching without ever having to acknowledge my own emotional ties to the material.

also this has got me thinking about whether I am actually crying at the events depicted in these films, or simply using these instances as a possible outlet for moments in real life where i have successfully buried my emotions to avoid embarassment or project an air of masculine stern-ness and strenth.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I very rarely get emotional from watching a movie. However, if there's a dog involved, I can get a bit teary eyed. My dogs help me stay tuned into my emotions.

Reactions: Dupree

·
Registered
440 Posts
i was crying at the end of monsters INC at school and i got bullied afterwards
ummmmm what else... i was crying watching ET and thelma and louis.. i think that's about it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts