Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, I woke up from this terrible nightmare. In the nightmare, I along with other people, was kidnapped by a fanatical homicidal cult leader. Before he was able to off me; I found a "justifiable" reason, that the cult leader found acceptable and agreed to let me lie down. Then, I woke up shaking. The nightmare taken literally made no sense whatsoever. I don't personally know anyone who comes close to either the definitions of either "cult leader" or homicidal".

After much reflection, I realized that what the nightmare was trying to tell me was that; I need to be vigilant against people, who are trying to keeping me from finding my own truth and if I don't; they will emotionally destroy me. I have been much more assertive, since I had this dream; IRL as well as on PerC. On PerC, I now refuse to allow anyone to either dissuade me from the type I've chosen, or force-fit one on me; that I know is inaccurate and I don't relate to at all. IRL, it is similar, I vehemently stand by my own truth - whatever it may be and don't allow anyone else to cause me to doubt myself. It has been incredibly liberating for me.

How about anyone else? Do you analyze your dreams and has this so-called "analysis", made an impact on your life?

Also, does anyone know anything about/or have ever experienced something known as "lucid dreaming"?

·
Banned
1,646 Posts
I pretty much follow Jung's theory when it comes to dreaming - meaning that all the characters in one's dream are a manifestation of oneself.

I also seperate the 'every day' dreams from the dreams that have a significant, deeper meaning.

It helps that I'm currently in therapy with a Jungian therapist with whom I have been discussing the topic of dreams (and a few specific ones).

So yes, I do analyse my dreams. I have had at least one dream that has had a huge impact on my life, but I don't want to repeat the dream here or discuss it any further.

There was another dream I had when I was a young kid, that I remember very well. It has impacted my life also, and I'm still not done analysing it.

Lucid dreaming is a dream where you -know- you are dreaming. This can actually be learned. It was in a recent issue of a psychology magazine that I read. I can look it up for you, if you like.

I have had lucid dreams. I used to have these dreames where I was chased. Very scary. At one point I decided I would reverse the rles in my dreams. And I did: I started to chase the person that had chased me, in my dreams. That was actually a lot of fun, heh.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I used to intentionally take melatonin as the side effects included nightmares. In addition to that, it had this feeling of locking you into your dream for an extended period of time whereas by conventional standards you would wake up from the discomfort in a relatively shorter period of time. Personally, I felt being locked into a dream longer increased my likelihood of realizing I was in a dream and thus... lucid super powers!

Also, I feel that nightmares have a special place for us. It's kind of like facing your own demons sort of speak, although it can be highly destructive for some. In many ways, I felt it was a way to challenge myself. Sometimes you never know what kind of person you are and what type of decisions you'd make until you are placed in them. Overall, this took precedence to me over the discomfort of the nightmare itself.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I likewise think that dreams often have a deep roots that might not be readily apparent, something triggered deep within our subconscious. I can often trace the source of my dream, though sometimes they remain cryptic. I do not really buy into past lives coming out in dreams, though likewise do not dismiss the notion entirely, and feel it is just stuff buried beneath our subconscious trying to resolve itself, or maybe just airing itself. I know a bit about the underlying symbols, and am curious to learn more.

For example, I recently had a romantic dream…strictly PG/PG-13 rated stuff, actually rather romantic; rocky beach (Cali, I am sure), car, picnic, bit of nuzzling, involving Oprah Winfrey. Now, while I have always thought she is a rather attractive woman, I am not what I would call a fan, and it was never what I would call a full blown crush (never watch her show or anything, and do not really know much about her, other than that she had a tough time of it in her youth), just rather taken with her physical beauty, strength, and understanding nature. I was somewhat perplexed at first by this dream, until I recalled reading a thread somewhere debating whether or not Oprah was INFJ or ENFJ, which I puzzled over as well. In this dream I was incredibly focused on her type, and kept grilling her about it, a bit to her chagrin. I tied this to the fact that I find her attractive, and that I have perhaps been a bit lonely (well, maybe not quite that) on occasion recently, and not romantically involved for some time. Why now, though? Then I realized that I had seen her recently in the trailer for The Butler, which was likewise reinforced by seeing a bootleg copy of the film in a shop here in Kathmandu. Subconscious triggers. At certain points in the dream she seemed to take on certain traits and sort of blend into a few women whom I actually know and I have had crushes on.

I am also prone to recurring dreams. The first I can recall involved the fact that I was supposed to be babysitting someone’s pet. At some point I realize this and the fact that I have forgotten it and not fed the creature for some time, and that it is certainly dead. I am afraid to check, and I agonize over what to tell my friend. No doubt this is tied to a feeling of guilt at neglecting some responsibility(s) (I think tied to my mother, sister and niece, and certain military duties). Also ,fear of responsibility in general.

This dream was replaced by a dream involving either the military, high school or a hybrid of the two. Basically, there is either a test I have neglected study for, or a class that I have neglected to attend all semester or year, and there is impending failure on the horizon, usually of the unrecoverable sort. In the dream I know, but it is too late to do anything about it. Interestingly, when I described the dream, my sister confessed to having the same dreams (minus the military bit), and almost exactly the same areas of the campus. I can trace this to roots similar to the aforementioned pet dream, but also attribute it to the pressure I felt in the military, esp. during my language studies. Interestingly, I recently had this same dream, which at the crucial moment was interrupted, and my mother appeared and told me everything would be alright. I haven’t had the dream since. I think I harbor am lot of guilt and feelings of responsibility for my mother and not being a good son. She recently retired, and was able to move nearer to her family, get a nicer, smaller house, so I think that lifted a lot of weight.

A couple of nights ago I had a really intense dreaming session, several dreams back to back. First, I dreamt I was in the military, on a shift that really did not do anything. The other shift was where the “action” was. I really missed what I used to do in this dream ,and it featured a few people whose names I had forgotten but were reawakened. Part way through this dream I realized that I was not actually still in the military, but rather had been wearing the uniform (blues, interestingly, which I always hated) and pretending to be, and dreaded anyone finding out. Maybe having to do with feelings of pretending to be something I am not, or possible latent regret over leaving the military, maybe feelings of loss and being lost, rudderless, and not being fulfilled. This is my new recurring dream and happens with some regularity, mostly the pretending to still be in and wearing the uniform part.

In the next dream I was a Victoria era Russian girl of 9 or 10 on a train. I was a girl of high birth, a princess or daughter of a landowner, and everyone was expected to bow to me. The other ladies in the train did so, but one refused and instead gave me a really strong hug. This solidified our relationship in some manner. I have no idea what this is about. Reading Russian literature and certain classics, maybe. Perhaps also related to pretending to be something I am not. It sort of blended to a degree with Nepali culture and dress as well (I am in Kathmandu now), but retained an overall Russian flavor. I think is may have something to do, in a way, with being relatively well off in some of the poorer countries in which I travel.

The final dream is vague, but in it I was Rogue of the X-men, in a sort of a basement preparing to encounter some sort of villain or monster. I knew I was strong, but was likewise uncertain and vulnerable. I am not sure what this signifies, though Rogue is my favorite X-man. It is interesting that I was female in two of these, and quite strong in all of them, save for the bit about hiding part of myself.

As far as lucid dreaming, only twice, when I was younger. Once, this ominous dream I was having suddenly became dreadfully boring, and lingered, and lingered, until I was finally able to realize I was dreaming and take control to make it more interesting. I only vaguely recall the other. Both involved flying.

Like Lad I used to take melatonin and now take valium to help me sleep. This intensifies dreams a bit as well, more than melatonin actually.

I have likewise had a few bouts of dream paralysis, involving this strange humanoid with a tentacled face trying to smother me, and I cannot move. I could feel its whisker/tentacles on my face and it seemed so real. I had to will myself to move with everything I had, which finally woke me up, usually sitting bolt upright and sometimes calling or gasping. During this same time, I was living in the barracks in Augusta, Georgia, and felt that the spirit of my long dead father was present, watching me (which is weird as I do not buy into any of that stuff, and we did not get along at all).

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I generally take a more biblical approach (rather than secular) to dream interpretation as I do believe God speaks to everyone through them. That's not to say all dreams are from God. A lot of them I believe we cause ourselves to dream, are drug or food related etc. but some of them I believe are from God and have a lot of significance. There was one especially haunting (in a good way) dream I had about four years ago that I believe was from God. It was very emotionally moving. I tried to write a poem about it but never finished it. There's also others I've had (those are the ones I write down) that seem significant in some way but I haven't completely put together all the pieces of the puzzle yet. Some of them are warnings, some of them are about the future, some of them about other people etc.

Usually I'll go through a period where I remember my dreams every night and they are all very vivid to...not remembering any of them or them being so vague and unimportant (due to my mind being cluttered with other stuff) that I can't recall any of them. I've learned to figure out when they are simply being created from my own emotions (usually when I'm more emotional than usual) or just soul-ish dreams from actual spiritual dreams (God's Spirit or an evil spirit trying to interact with my own).

As far as lucid dreaming goes - I've probably said this on here before but I always found it pretty boring and I find them "slippery" so they don't last very long for me. I just don't find it very interesting/fun when I know what is going to happen next since I'm in control lol. I prefer movie style dreams I guess.

Reactions: Chesire Tower

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pretty much follow Jung's theory when it comes to dreaming - meaning that all the characters in one's dream are a manifestation of oneself.

I also seperate the 'every day' dreams from the dreams that have a significant, deeper meaning.

It helps that I'm currently in therapy with a Jungian therapist with whom I have been discussing the topic of dreams (and a few specific ones).

So yes, I do analyse my dreams. I have had at least one dream that has had a huge impact on my life, but I don't want to repeat the dream here or discuss it any further.

There was another dream I had when I was a young kid, that I remember very well. It has impacted my life also, and I'm still not done analysing it.

Lucid dreaming is a dream where you -know- you are dreaming. This can actually be learned. It was in a recent issue of a psychology magazine that I read. I can look it up for you, if you like.

I have had lucid dreams. I used to have these dreames where I was chased. Very scary. At one point I decided I would reverse the rles in my dreams. And I did: I started to chase the person that had chased me, in my dreams. That was actually a lot of fun, heh.
Yes, that would be awesome as I would like to learn more about it. I once had a Jungian therapist but he got mad at me when I told him about a dream I had, in which I was pushing Freud on a swing. He decided that (solely based on the dream) I was arrogant and thought myself to be superior to the therapist and dismissed me as a client.

·
Banned
1,646 Posts
learning lucid dreaming

1. as it is important to learn to recognise that you're dreaming, later on, you first need to learn to remember what you dream. in order to do this, don't jump out of bed straight away when you wake up, but stay in bed for a few mins. write your dreams down right away.

2. learn to recognise your own dream signals. ask yourself what makes your dreams dream like. what happens in your dreams, that does not happen in real life? study your dream journal to learn your dream signals. and example of a dream signal is: someone who is passed away, appears in your dream. nightmares are a good example, too. it's unlikely that you are in horrific, terrifying situations on a daily basis (I hope). so when a nightmare occurs, you know you're dreaming.

3. take the 'reality test'. this is a test you take during the day. 10-15 times a day, ask yourself a set of questions to check whether you are dreaming, or not. examples: what am I doing? is that possible? how did I get here? what was I doing 15 mins ago?

the goal is to automate these questions, so that you will be asking them in your dreams, as well. by the answers to the questions, you will know that you are dreaming.

(from: Alles over dromen, Victor Spoormaker)

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to intentionally take melatonin as the side effects included nightmares. In addition to that, it had this feeling of locking you into your dream for an extended period of time whereas by conventional standards you would wake up from the discomfort in a relatively shorter period of time. Personally, I felt being locked into a dream longer increased my likelihood of realizing I was in a dream and thus... lucid super powers!

Also, I feel that nightmares have a special place for us. It's kind of like facing your own demons sort of speak, although it can be highly destructive for some. In many ways, I felt it was a way to challenge myself. Sometimes you never know what kind of person you are and what type of decisions you'd make until you are placed in them. Overall, this took precedence to me over the discomfort of the nightmare itself.
I completely agree! I welcome any dream that stays with me long enough to obtain useful results from them. I almost look forward to having nightmares.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I don't experience Lucid Dreaming, instead my subconscious mind dreams of situations or problems that are troubling me & somehow figures out a solution or gains insight to use during a later dream.

In my most bizarre dream my grandmother had told me that Jesus had visited her & was going to take her home to heaven.
Mid-morning the next day at work I felt her presence there with me, I called to check on my grandparents & was informed she had passed away that morning.
It's apparent that I was subconsciously worried & that triggered the dream but the Jesus & heaven aspect didn't fit with my beliefs at the time. I've never been able to reconcile how I felt her presence with me at work shortly after her death.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I've had a heavy, deep focus on dreams all my life. As long as I can remember I've had very vivid, realistic dreams with strong symbols. They've always been clear, colourful and full of life. I can sense everything in them too as if it was real, which can be a downside when I get hurt and have nightmares. My dreams aren't that cryptic to me anymore because of me focusing on them for so long; I usually know what something means to me, if I don't I will eventually find out.

Dream symbolism can be difficult to figure out when every symbol is unique to you. A snake in my dreams could represent a sneaky, toxic person while for someone else it might mean a dangerous situation or wisdom. You'll have to work closely together with someone if you're going to help them with their dream symbols.

I'm also a lucid dreamer. It makes dreams more fun to me because I get to explore what my dreams have to offer, but I've gotten to the point where I simply just tag along with the dream to see where it leads me (but I consciously make decisions and avoid situations that I know will turn it all into a nightmare).

I've heard about the "the characters you see in your dreams are actually different parts of you" or whatever it was. Sometimes it's true, but not always - to me at least. If I dream about my sister, it's usually how I view her or something else about her. It's not another part of me.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
How about anyone else? Do you analyze your dreams and has this so-called "analysis", made an impact on your life?
Always. All the dreams we have in about situations that are happening, or things that are hidden (like feelings), the dreams reveals everything. I'm actually pretty good analysing dreams, my friends are always telling me their dreams.

Also, does anyone know anything about/or have ever experienced something known as "lucid dreaming"?

The lucid dreams are actually astral projections, I do this all the time, it's awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts