Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Hypothetical questions are a tool that people tend to over or misuse. Of course, sometimes they are extremely necessary, so they are definitely not completely pointless. I use them on the rare occasion that it is appropriate, but really they are useless most of the time. Useless things are what irritate me.

·
Registered
ENTJ, 8w7
2,796 Posts
I don't like useless wool gathering, but provided the hypotheticals produce valuable and/or entertaining insights, I'm all for it.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Yes if they serve an applicable function or are for entertainment or learning. I just get bored or annoyed when people put too much weight into unrealistic hypotheticals or can't demonstrate how said idea can really be applied. I'm all about a working solution.

Often times crazy creative ideas come to be reality, so why dismiss them just because they aren't currently present as well? So for example taking something like a phone that is wired to the wall and saying one day they will be implanted in our ears for a hands free experience isn't crazy. To me that is practical. However saying this already happening and you are unwittingly using one and being monitored by the state is just shuuuuuutuuuup.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
plug me directly in the computer. at least I'd have a fighting chance.

applied theorists. that's what I'd call us.

Reactions: koalaroo and -Halo-

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
When I'm in the mood for them, sure, I love hypothetical scenarios. Sometimes it's just fun to talk about things. Yes - even if there's 'no practical application' for them.

Reactions: koalaroo

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
Hmm, as fellow intuitives, I imagined that you guys would be all about the hypotheticals... I have to admit this is surprising to me.
I think the reason you won't see us using them as much (and sometimes I do use them just to see where connecting the dots leads -- sometimes it's good and sometimes it's dumb) is because we're Ni-aux rather than Ni-dom.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I use them if they are helpful like if I'm arguing or debating, but I will typically never consider them if they are impossible "imagine what if...". I hate "what if" questions. Why not look at "what is"?

That said, I don't mind having theoretical conversations about philosophy, political science, or math. I just would rather do this as a timewaster, rather than as a career.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Only if they have nice legs, look good in tight jeans and have a good personality...
I'm a yes for all 3 of those, but don't get any ideas.

Reactions: Mr Canis

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
you look good in tight jeans?? meow!
Yes. Who would have known that all those squats, deadlifts and cleans would lead to muscled legs.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
@Scelerat there is a lack of a space between your "5w6 - 3w4" (which is how it SHOULD be) and it's been killing me for days.

Please fix your signature, please please please please.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
@Scelerat there is a lack of a space between your "5w6 - 3w4" (which is how it SHOULD be) and it's been killing me for days.

Please fix your signature, please please please please.
;-> please don't. I'd like to see what happens . . . .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.