Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this link on reddit. It says it's important to create and maintain a "commonplace book" of quotations & thoughts & books.

Sounds like a good idea to me... but then I thought that maybe I already do that (sort of) with my extensive list of bookmarks.

Thoughts? Would you want to do this?

How And Why To Keep A

·
Registered
436 Posts
Various forms of this, yes. I keep a journal for direct quotations, and one for single words with their definitions, so I can learn to use them in everyday conversation. I think a more general type of book would be a really interesting thing, though. I'd like to give it a try.

Reactions: Seaborg

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
I use to do this, but I would wind up disappointing myself when I forget to bring/carry my books with me wherever I go.

Then forget to document when I say I should keep whatever it is documented.

Yay for absent mindedness!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a journal yes. I started it for personal development. It gets filled in at the end of most days.

Anything I think might be useful for my life goes in there: quotes, the results of personality tests, self-recriminations.

Reactions: Seaborg

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yes, (but not to the same extent as the author of that article) but I keep on:
- forgetting where I put it.
- trying to decide whether or not a specific thing is important enough to put in it.
- forgetting what I wanted to put in it once I've found it.
- trying to decide in which section a specific note would go in.

So instead I end up writing on scrap pieces of paper and just slotting those peices of paper in between the pages of the book itself. It would be better t o say that one of my desk's drawers is a common place note depository. It's filled with notes, sketches etc. of what can be best categorized as "stuff".

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
i keep a word document for quotes, ideas, and stories (the short ones that have aa message to help express a point. cant think of the proper term)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts