Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people,
As the title suggests, "Do you dream?"
If so, what are your most memorable dreams, if you can even remember your dreams at all, if there is a reoccurring trend in them or if it links to anything during your span of life (childhood, teenage years etc.), and anything about you relevant to your dreams.
Thank you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I frequently dream that I'm on a train. The journeys always seem very long. Most recently I dreamed I lived on a wooden train, it was painted pastel blue and carved and painted like a gypsy caravan.
Also once the train had a mattress floor and lots of pillows/duvets everywhere, with people sleeping in piles and such. I'm pretty sure that was my mind playing off the phrase "sleeper train".

·
Registered
92 Posts
I dream frequently, or at least it seems frequently. I never have nightmares, I have what some people would describe as a really scary scenes, but they don't really phase me like some people who have nightmares claim they get. I guess I recognize the dream as a dream maybe.

I also enjoy napping with the TV on because the sound from the TV is incorporated into my dreams. It's always fun to see the weird scenarios that my brain comes up with then.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
First of all, we all dream. The question is whether our sleep schedule is timed in such a manner to remember them. mine's generally aren't, but on the occasions that I do, they tend to be narratives, stories of a sort.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I dream a lot. Sometimes I can't get to sleep cuz I'm so excited to find out what I'm gonna dream about. Lucid dreams are my favorite-- when I know I'm dreaming and can do whatever I want. I also like dreams where I'm breathing underwater. Apparently when you dream that you can breathe underwater it means you feel invincible.

Reactions: anicole

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes, while everyone dreams, I remember them very frequently. I practice lucid dreaming as well, all though I have only had like 15 :p Lucid Dreaming is so funnnnnn!!!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I can remember prolly about 1 dream a week (although they disappear pretty fast most times). I almost always have what other people would consider nightmares, but I almost ALWAYS lucid dream, so they are fun as hell (like little nightly adventure movies that I get to take part in) .... except once. One time I had a nightmare and wasn't lucid. It was bad. I still get the shakes just thinking about it. Some things you should never have to go through, not even in a dream. Oddly enough I started lucid dreaming after a drug OD. 2-3 days later when I finally came down and went to sleep (like real sleep) I had my first lucid dream. Now it's a really regular (though always cool) thing. About 1-2 times a year I'll even have a dream that I'm so in control over that I can alter the entire dreamscape. Those are friggin spectacular.

Reactions: anicole

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they tend to be narratives, stories of a sort.
Are you the narrator or a character being narrated? If you're the narrator, do you get to control all these characters (or one) with simply narrating a story? And if you're being narrated, do you follow along by force or just for the hell of it?
But reading what you said, I'm thinking it's more of that scenario of watching something from a 3rd perspective.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also once the train had a mattress floor and lots of pillows/duvets everywhere, with people sleeping in piles and such. I'm pretty sure that was my mind playing off the phrase "sleeper train".
Did you by any chance read this picture book of a sleeper train? I can't remember the title anymore, it's also a pretty old book since childhood and I lost it (maybe not if I'd just try to clean up).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dream frequently, or at least it seems frequently. I never have nightmares, I have what some people would describe as a really scary scenes, but they don't really phase me like some people who have nightmares claim they get. I guess I recognize the dream as a dream maybe.
Yeah, it happens to me, I had a vivid dream of being trapped in a deserted building filled with all these chairs and cage walls, story continued and I ended up mutilating because during that scene it seemed like the most logical option and because I wanted to experience doing so. Okay, maybe it was because I wanted to do so.

I also enjoy napping with the TV on because the sound from the TV is incorporated into my dreams. It's always fun to see the weird scenarios that my brain comes up with then.
I tried that last night. I'd say it was a successful experiment.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Are you the narrator or a character being narrated? If you're the narrator, do you get to control all these characters (or one) with simply narrating a story? And if you're being narrated, do you follow along by force or just for the hell of it?
But reading what you said, I'm thinking it's more of that scenario of watching something from a 3rd perspective.
I do narrate, actually. As myself, but a separate myself from the one in the story.

As to control, if I have a nightmare going on, I've long ago developed a kind of default defense ( for the sake of my dignity, let's just say it may or may not involve giant robots). It's amazing how much control you can have over a dream if you program yourself through repetition.

Other dreams I generally let run their course. I'm just as curious what'll happen next, as I'm hardly an omniscent narrator,I have an inkling at best. There usually will be some sort of love interest, although hardly anything past snogging, at least as far as I've ever been aware. Generally just a lot of conversation and travel, or at least walking.

Now that I think about it, that makes quite a bit of sense to me. This would actually be a replay of a fairly typical day for me in the past, walking around, daydreaming, or conversing with myself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You toss dreaming into an NT forum, you kinda gotta see it coming.
Then I probably underestimated.
I suppose we can say everybody dreams though there are people who somehow can skip REM. True that I, myself, got this from the internet and I can't exactly say that I believe in it since REM is 90% of sleep and we sleep everyday (unless you force yourself to stay awake for whatever the reason) which can vary our sleeping routines, affecting one's sleep stages to occasionally skipping REM.
But just for the sake of opposing,
Not everyone dreams.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Correction: REM is 20 to 25% of sleep

And it turns out some people who suffer lesions in specific parts of the brain usually lose their ability to dream for varying periods of time. Other rare cases show that it is possible to have the usual amount of REM sleep and not dream.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Then I probably underestimated.
I suppose we can say everybody dreams though there are people who somehow can skip REM. True that I, myself, got this from the internet and I can't exactly say that I believe in it since REM is 90% of sleep and we sleep everyday (unless you force yourself to stay awake for whatever the reason) which can vary our sleeping routines, affecting one's sleep stages to occasionally skipping REM.
But just for the sake of opposing,
Not everyone dreams.
Your post actually got me to do a little research on the topic, after I posted my comment, and I was a bit surprised by what Ifound. Not all REM sleep is dream sleep, and one can actually be awake, but dreaming proper (not just day dreaming). Also surprising was that babies and children dream less than older people, even though they have more REM sleep.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can remember prolly about 1 dream a week (although they disappear pretty fast most times). I almost always have what other people would consider nightmares, but I almost ALWAYS lucid dream, so they are fun as hell (like little nightly adventure movies that I get to take part in) .... except once. One time I had a nightmare and wasn't lucid. It was bad. I still get the shakes just thinking about it. Some things you should never have to go through, not even in a dream. Oddly enough I started lucid dreaming after a drug OD. 2-3 days later when I finally came down and went to sleep (like real sleep) I had my first lucid dream. Now it's a really regular (though always cool) thing. About 1-2 times a year I'll even have a dream that I'm so in control over that I can alter the entire dreamscape. Those are friggin spectacular.
Feel free to add in if you take the next step to OBE.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts