Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Back in high school, eating alone felt nervewracking. It made me feel lonely and embarrassed... But nowadays, at work, I really don't mind. I realize that no one cares or judges me based on that. Well I guess back in high school people might've. I don't know if it's a matter of confidence or what...Nevertheless, nowadays I know better than to be embarrassed of such. :) I've learned to relax and enjoy my alone-time, wherever it may be.

I used to take any opportunity to sit with someone, but nowadays I avoid unnecessary interaction... In fact one day I was on the bus on my way to work and noticed a coworker on the same bus. We greeted each other but I just stated "I'm going to sit by myself, I hope thats okay with you". I realized afterwards that I was probably a little blunt and impolite! x) But sleepy mornings in the long bus ride are like zen for me...I can just relax and half sleep my way to work...I didn't want to ruin it by having to small talk for the entire ride. :laughing:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Usually alone, if I'm not invited to join someone.
What would I prefer? Hmm, if it's people I don't know very well I'd rather be on my own, spouting some lame excuse for not joining them.
This being said, I have a rough time of saying no to people. :dry:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Apparently I'm weird for disliking the convention of eating with people generally. I have crappy eating habits so usually by the time I end up eating I am starving and am in no mood for chatter (and I'm sort of gluttonous :D). Maybe if we had separate organs for eating and speaking. I think it's most enjoyable and comfortable being alone with my food and thoughts. That said, I don't usually say no to company unless I'm in a hurry but I don't think I've ever asked anyone to eat with me out of no where.

Also, it's really humorous to eat with someone who spills stuff on themselves a lot, I recommend it.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Don't worry guys, when you eat your food alone just give me a call and I will give you company. You give me food, and I'll give you company. lol (just kidding)

Reactions: Curiously and Coil

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
At work, when I worked, I preferred to eat alone, and would actually attempt to avoid people when lunch time rolled around so I would be sure not to receive any invites. It was often the only part of the day I could truly get away from my coworkers, gain some peace and quiet, and recharge.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Like @setzer , I have a hard time saying no, especially to something as "simple" as a lunch invitation, as rare as they actually are.

I am one to mind my own business so eating alone never bothered me. On my lunch break, I sometimes go out to my SUV, raise the back door and just sit in the cargo area and watching the sky or birds or whatever. I hate that a popped up back door garners attention, but meh. If people wanna talk about me behind my back I let'm talk. At least I know then they are talking about something good :p

·
Registered
101 Posts
I typically work straight thru "lunch time" and take that hour at the end of the day. My work has been pretty accommodating about allowing me to do that. Although, people seem to inevitably want to schedule a meeting during that time.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I don't like eating with people around me, it's just very awkward. Sometimes I've had to eat with company but the funny thing is that people who invite me feel sorry for me that I am eating all alone and assume that I wanted some company when in reality the reason that I am eating alone is because I wanted to.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Okay, to be honest, I don't know if I'm ENFJ or INFJ... :( But I can relate to this thread a LOT. Lunch break is the best moment of my uni day. I have my book or whatever fascinating to read and I enjoy my break in the library tremendously. Luckily they let people eat there. And when I'm at work, I eat alone in my room. For the same reason.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Every now and then I'll eat with someone I know, but I almost always eat by myself. In High School I ate with my friends almost every day.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I used to hardly eat alone unless I had to. The concept of eating alone made no sense to me until I realized that I won't always have someone to eat with. Also it depends who's around. I wouldn't want to eat with a person who I'd feel awkward around. I hated eating alone in the cafeterias because I felt really self-conscious like people saw me eating by myself and thought I had no friends. Once I even ate with a stranger. I was just like "Hey how's it going." It was my first semester so I was trying to make friends. He seemed boring though so whatever.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Do you do that, too? I spill food on myself all the time. I wear scarves a lot, to avoid ruining my clothes. I swear, I'm tempted to just buy a bib.
I don't usually spill food, however one of my friends ALWAYS managed to spill food or drink on himself when we were in school, and still does whenever we eat together. He gets really mad too because it's been going on for years. I prefer entertainment with meals than conversation lol.

I always spill toothpaste on my shirt when brushing my teeth though :sad:

Do you tend to eat alone in a room by yourself or in a crowded area? Or one with few people in it?
Completely alone is peaceful, so I like that, but a few (quiet) people around doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't usually spill food, however one of my friends ALWAYS managed to spill food or drink on himself when we were in school, and still does whenever we eat together. He gets really mad too because it's been going on for years. I prefer entertainment with meals than conversation lol.

I always spill toothpaste on my shirt when brushing my teeth though :sad:

Completely alone is peaceful, so I like that, but a few (quiet) people around doesn't bother me.
How would you feel if someone tried to talk to you as you ate alone or asked to sit with you (assuming they aren't a complete stranger?)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts