Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Yes.

Love it. Love devouring it and love cooking it.

Although I do dislike some textures like liver.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
My boyfriend doesn't eat it very much, but mostly because he doesn't really know how to feed himself

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
No, and I haven't for nine or ten years!

I just couldn't enjoy it anymore because it felt so morally wrong, so I stopped eating it altogether.

By now, there are many more reasons why I support vegetarianism beyond it making me feel horrible personally. An absolutely huge reason is the great negative effects on the environment. It also feels wrong for a species, at least those of us who have the means, to continue killing and consuming other animals really just for pleasure since we can be very healthy without meat now.

If I ever were to eat meat again, say if I had to for health reasons, I'd much sooner eat meat like some fish than beef or pork, because of the greater levels of mental suffering all those animals go through more when they have higher intelligence/emotional intelligence.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I've tried a few times to forego meat and I always feel terrible when I do. My thinking becomes sluggish and foggy. I get headaches. I feel physically weak and dull when I don't eat meat. B12 supplements make me feel wonky and weird. It feels totally unnatural and unhealthy.

I'm extremely sensitive to what I eat and how it affects me and I feel sharpest and most alive only when meat is a part of my diet.

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,475 Posts
Yes. When you get a goat leg piece in your biryani, man, there is no greater sensation in the world than sucking out the delicious mix of bone marrow and rice which had marinated along with the meat inside the bone with the marrow... its orgasmic!

I just couldn't enjoy it anymore because it felt so morally wrong, so I stopped eating it altogether.
You have a pet though. What do you think about that? I think it is immoral to hold an animal in captivity, including pets - especially pets; as far as I'm concerned, human interaction with animals should be absolutely minimal. We should only take from them what we need to ensure our own survival (food, and I suppose clothing like leather and wool). Pet ownership is not something I will ever personally do because it is highly immoral for me. In doing so I would keep an animal in captivity in order to satisfy my own emotional needs. Satisfying emotions is not, for me, an essential thing that must be done in order to ensure my own survival like eating or clothing. I'm sure you can love and care for your pet and everything, but it's just a matter of principle for me - holding animals in captivity is wrong, doing anything to interfere with their lives is wrong, except when it is absolutely essential to your own survival.

As far as domesticating animals goes, I don't think in the modern world we need to be doing things beyond domesticating dogs to assist disabled people and for use in law enforcement, which again I think are absolutely essential reasons to take those animals in captivity. In time, possibly those roles can be filled by technology, meaning we no longer need to enslave animals at all.

I broadly agree with what you have to say about eating meat. It is unfortunate that animals must die in order for me to be sustained. To paraphrase what the Indian philosopher Thiruvalluvar wrote, how can a man be just when, in order to increase his own flesh, he must eat the flesh of another? Aside this line of moral concern, there is also, as you said, the practical concern that raising livestock and domesticating animals is devastating to the environment. Livestock is probably the biggest contributor to environmental degradation, not only with all the gases they fart, but also the process of land clearance and deforestation required for the animals to have pasture, and the inordinate amounts of water they consume.

This is why I'm really excited about lab-grown meat. I really hope that is a commercially viable solution because it would reduce the number of livestock needed drastically, you would only need small herds of donors to harvest cells from. It is still an energy intensive process, but it is surely less polluting and less draining on resources to grow meat in a lab than it is to keep billions of animals.

Reactions: thedog

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
My husband is an INFJ and he's been a vegetarian for over 10 years. He started out pretty casual about it, but he felt more energetic when he didn't eat meat and decided to stick with it. Now he can't even deal with the smell of meat cooking, it makes him sick. He's always been an animal lover and I think that plays into it now, even though he initially started it as an experiment. And this means I can never cook bacon ever again... sniff sniff. I knew what I was signing up for, though.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Yes, unfortunately. I can't quit eating meat at the moment because where I come from, there are no alternatives. However, I do plan to quit once I move for my graduate studies.

Reactions: Snowflake Minuet

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Yup. I eat mostly anything slapped in front of me, but I cook mostly vegetarian.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Yes.

Primarily for the taste. Second for health.

·
Registered
ISFP
3,109 Posts
Yes. I eat meat not because I find it particularly tasty (it is not bad), but because I need to eat it. I barely eat carbs and my health would likely take a hit if I cut down on proteins as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I eat all kinds of meat except for duck because I like ducks(as animals).

Since I'm extremely underweight, I need to eat more meat to gain protein.

·
Registered
ISFJ
5,202 Posts
Why ?
Why not?
:p
no. i guess i never really liked meat. one of my school principles was a vegetarian and gave a pro-vegetarian lecture in health class once and to me it made sense. (basically the human body wasn't designed to eat meat) after that i started really thinking about where my food was coming from and so i decided to stop eating meat. i ate snow crab legs the other day though. i did feel a little bad eating them but i think my chromium levels are down and my body was crying for it. stuff like veins in chicken breasts gross me out majorly and the thought of like heads being chopped off and stuff deters me from eating meat. i mean, i certainly hope i don't end up as food so i like to try and extend that to other living beings. i guess i don't have that killer/top of the food chain instinct.

·
Registered
ENTP 8w7 sx/so
976 Posts
I eat meat - I hunt for 80% of the meat I eat. I like the taste. Most money that goes into conservation of wild animals and national forest and state programs for non-profit conservation comes from hunting licenses and donations from hunters and anglers. I am fine with people not hunting or eating meat, but I like being out in the woods, participating in nature, conservation, and knowing where my meat comes from. I also don't like supporting a flawed industry that doesn't treat many animals well, wastes, and puts toxins in the food.

That said, be careful about being judgmental about choices you make. Most vegetarians I know support the almond industry (hello California drought cause), the soy industry (hello monoculture with pesticides, GMO, and the continued cause of endangerment of species like the native Prairie Chicken), and buy clothing made with child labor in foreign countries. So, I feel like everyone draws their lines in the sand somewhere - where they do that is up to them.

*As an aside - the human body was absolutely designed to eat meat, and in fact we don't really develop properly as infants and small children without fat and zinc so vegetarian children have to have very attention-detailed parents. There is actually very interesting data we have gathered when examining the human and canine genomes that shows how we developed and evolved together over the past 30,000 years which has allowed dogs, due to them living in concert with us, to not only be able to digest grain, unlike counterparts like coyotes or wolves, but also have things like high cholesterol or depression, ergo medications like cholesterol meds and prozac can work on them.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I eat meat. I really enjoy the taste and I have a hard time eating a salat if I don't have some meat to eat it with.

In my country we go to extreme massures to make sure that the animals we eat have had a long and good life. So I don't feel bad about eating animals from my own country. Besides animals eats animals..

Also I'm a picky eater so if I should stay away from meat then my life would be hell. Also I don't think that I would get enough proteins and such..

But I do believe that it is a choice you make for your self..

·
Registered
59 Posts
No, I'm a Vegan.
Reason: I don't want to harm any being anymore.
Before some of you come with the "not even a fly or a mosquito???" questions, i'd like to remind you, that a fly won't harm you in a direct way. An exception as an example (!) would be a mosquito which does harm you directly. This counts for every other being with the same intentions. At some point you have to defend yourself. And yes I know, there is the possibility that you could hurt or kill an insect by mistake, but as long as I don't do it intentional, I can get along with it. I think the biggest reason for not taking a step to be a Vegetarian or Vegan ist the "I need proteins" myth. If some of you watch Netflix documentaries, I would recommend you "What The Health". But only if you're willing to see the truth without falling into more excuses.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts