Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general, do you tend to trust people? For example, do you feel comfortable approaching them with an open heart, or a genuine intention to just connect? Do you think that most people are good?

(It's just that I've recently been spending a lot of time with my ISFJ mom, and while her view is of the world seems very practical and realistic, it's starting to make me feel sort of pessimistic about people again. I'm starting to retreat to that place where I fear to approach people openly, because they may possibly have selfish intentions/ try to exploit my sincerity. However, I have an ENFP friend who seems trusting, even sometimes have idealistic expectations of others. Of course sometimes she's disappointed, but she seems to be doing just fine. There doesn't seem to be anyone trying to use her or has hurt her so badly. I just feel that her attitude has given her many opportunities to make real connections with others. I'm lost about which attitude is "better".)

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
In general, do you tend to trust people?
in general, yes, but this is a very vague question

For example, do you feel comfortable approaching them with an open heart, or a genuine intention to just connect?
if I feel like we would connect and am getting good vibes from them, sure. otherwise, no, why would I want to open myself up to a random stranger. it's not a question of distrust as much as it is that those sorts of things are special and must be earned

Do you think that most people are good?
most: yes
all: no

(It's just that I've recently been spending a lot of time with my ISFJ mom, and while her view is of the world seems very practical and realistic, it's starting to make me feel sort of pessimistic about people again. I'm starting to retreat to that place where I fear to approach people openly, because they may possibly have selfish intentions/ try to exploit my sincerity. However, I have an ENFP friend who seems trusting, even sometimes have idealistic expectations of others. Of course sometimes she's disappointed, but she seems to be doing just fine. There doesn't seem to be anyone trying to use her or has hurt her so badly. I just feel that her attitude has given her many opportunities to make real connections with others. I'm lost about which attitude is "better".)
honestly, I've never understood the whole "I've lost my faith in humanity". while I neither hate nor distrust "humanity" as a whole, the idea that I should have faith in it in the first place is rather silly

·
Registered
118 Posts
For example, do you feel comfortable approaching them with an open heart, or a genuine intention to just connect?
I'm an open book, you'll have to turn the pages but I'm open. Ask me and I will answer, I have nothing to hide; Why would I? Course there is that small piece of me that i'd rather not tell, like with all people. But I'll tell you most things if you just ask.

Do you think that most people are good?
Absolutly; Well technically I believe all people are good in their own twisted way.

But yeah, most people fall into my own moral line of "good". And I trust most people and - in general, I have no such "sensetive information".
Sure, if I had a special kind of info that could possibly be used to backstab me (like... I slept with someones wife - something "bad" like that) hten yeah I'd probably hold off with that info, but that info i'd also hold off with my friends.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I always try to look for the best in a person, and when they have lost their way, but I know really they are good, it makes me sad. All the more so, when I feel for them emotionally. But I always hang on to hope and faith in them. Someone im in love with is like that, she can be cold, but ultimately, I believe she has a good and morally strong soul, though on the outside, it may not "always" show, but its there, she inspired me to make these two things on my deviant, one is picture the other I wrote an article of me being so stuck on her and my perceptions of her.

http://eccentricmatthew.deviantart.com/art/The-Heart-s-Desire-511752165

http://eccentricmatthew.deviantart.com/journal/Falling-into-a-Prison-of-Love-526567903

Im pretty open to everyone, though in more recent times, not as much as I have experienced being used a few times and even disrespected by communities for my openness. But I never really believed in having secrets, and im not bashful to any subject. However putting so much information out about myself, which was done as a desire for people to understand me as a person, and then perhaps it could go both ways and get to know the soul of others and get a deep connection and mutual understanding, I was shunned, as people assumed I was being an attention whore and self promotional, when really I just always loved to share my thoughts, values and morals on things as well as sharing my interests and i'd listen to others, even when it bored me, as to give back that respect. Quite a few introverted people mainly who got funny with me, as they could not grasp the concept of how open I was, and when I seemingly pried into others deep sides, purely just for soul searching and mutual interaction, i'd get a lot of slack. I wasn't an interrogator, 'd just ask how people were, if I could see they were having a bad time and if I could help and see if that would lead anywhere. As well as hoping to inspire them to help others as well, and have a knock on, domino effect. A person feels happy that they have been cared for, and then they go and care for someone else, and so on, at least that's the ideal. I believe the slightest action can reach far places, just choosing to smile and say hello to someone who passes by, or opening a door for someone, may also inspire, and giving a person a hope in humanity, where before they may of had none, and I have actually seen this in action in people in my life through doing it. Looking in a... larger perspective on this theory, it can travel world wide eventually, or at least you hope it reaches far.

Im not as open about myself as I once was however, since its true that people will try to see a negative way of it, and use you. Either using your secrets against you, or if you have no such secrets, then your emotions and values, people will try and guilt trip you, for your giving nature, to get what they need, then dump you. Saying nice things to your face, but stabbing you behind the scenes. At least that's what I have experienced. However, I still am open, just not as much as I was even though I want to be. Its a delicate balance.

·
Registered
370 Posts
In general, I do trust people and more so if I know them. If I don't know who they are I'm less likely to trust them, but naturally I like to talk to people so at times it isn't difficult to NOT trust them. It is in my nature to connect and be open hearted when I speak to someone. Everybody deserves some amount of trust and respect but not enough so that you'd be taken advantaged of.

People still suck though :b
but still they will always fascinate me.:happy:

·
Banned
10,157 Posts
Great question. I have actually thought about this before to some extend. My conclusion is that I am 95% open with most people. But the last 5% is something I keep to myself. Because 99% of the times I know the response. Like if I tell them about some vegan diet stuff, some political ideology, or religion. I save those last 5% for people who are open minded, and non judging. Otherwise I consider myself like an open book. I don't like holding stuff back in general, and I want to be honest, and intense with people. I want to feel something. Feel alive.

I also keep returning to this George Carlin (comedian) quote: "Carlin: "Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist."

According to celebritytypes.com he is also an ENFP. - Probably one of them, I feel closest to with the ENFP vibe.

Because I am a type 749 - Being a linguistic romantic.

Carlin also says that he love individuals. Every time he look at one individual, he can see the beauty and the endless potential. But when he think of humanity as a whole, he think they are idiots. I resonate with that too, I must admit.

·
Registered
Beta Gang - EIE 3w4 - 368 sx/so
4,750 Posts
Im not as open about myself as I once was however, since its true that people will try to see a negative way of it, and use you. Either using your secrets against you, or if you have no such secrets, then your emotions and values, people will try and guilt trip you, for your giving nature, to get what they need, then dump you. Saying nice things to your face, but stabbing you behind the scenes. At least that's what I have experienced. However, I still am open, just not as much as I was even though I want to be. Its a delicate balance.
This. I'm done beein opened in general. You wanna know whats inside, well come to me

Carlin also says that he love individuals. Every time he look at one individual, he can see the beauty and the endless potential. But when he think of humanity as a whole, he think they are idiots. I resonate with that too, I must admit.
This too

Reactions: ECM

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Being positive is "better".. The one truth about the world is that it's entirely inconsistent- which annoys us because it's human nature to look for meaning in chaos. However, if you're negative about people you're not even giving yourself a chance, while if you are positive at least you can learn to deal with the negative people.

Having said that, finding a balance is easier as you get older. That's what I've found anyway. Also, if you are in social situations that allow it, I've discovered it's often better to hang back and observe people's nature for a while before committing to a rapport, rather than just jumping in like I used to do. Particularly when you are going to spend a lot of time around that/those person/people.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Depends on the people.

Do I believe in The Illuminati? [Yes]
Do I believe in the pursuit of happiness? [Yes]
Do I believe in Obama? [Yes I love America's President]
Do I believe in strangers? [I know this may sound wrong, but I usually judge of looks, nono not physical looks of beauty, but on their disposition, their vibe, how they show themselves to the world. If I don't know you, and you're lookin' down I'm gonna tell you chin up with a thumbs up because everything will be alright soon.]
Do I believe I should stop using brackets? [Yes]

·
Registered
55 Posts
I personally have found that most people aren't..."bad" people, just stupid. I guess I do believe in people because every time I've ever disliked someone, I said to myself "they just don't understand" or something similar. Every. Time.

So yeah, I guess I do believe in people. And I believe in blindly throwing love at people and hoping you get some back! Life's good :)

Reactions: ECM

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't particularly believe in them but I do try to give strangers a chance. Like, normally people would try to avoid people they don't know just in case they might be someone that'll do something bad to them. I try to keep all my assumptions out of the way until I actually talk to that person. I don't believe appearance counts at all as well. If they look suspicious, it's none of my business, it could just be a fashion.

So I don't believe in them but I will be casual and try not to show signs of discomfort because then they might get uncomfortable, or self-conscious.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I don't particularly believe in them but I do try to give strangers a chance. Like, normally people would try to avoid people they don't know just in case they might be someone that'll do something bad to them. I try to keep all my assumptions out of the way until I actually talk to that person. I don't believe appearance counts at all as well. If they look suspicious, it's none of my business, it could just be a fashion.

So I don't believe in them but I will be casual and try not to show signs of discomfort because then they might get uncomfortable, or self-conscious.
This, exactly.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think because of my backround I'm a little suspicious. I get scared pretty easily if someone approaches me seeming drunk or aggressive for example. If I walk on the street alone when it's late and someone approaches me, I'll leave pretty fast. I'm afraid of strange men.

Then again, I still try to see the best in people.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe that people are generally not good, but that doesn't mean I won't open up to them.

It is important to keep in mind that humans are imperfect, and all of your friends will let you done at some point in some way.

You need to expect this and just be willing to forgive when it happens, because we all do bad things and need forgiveness.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
In general, do you tend to trust people? For example, do you feel comfortable approaching them with an open heart, or a genuine intention to just connect? Do you think that most people are good?

Hmm... Good question. Thanks for bringing it up. :) My ISTJ dad can sometimes get that "pessimism" too. My sister (ESTJ) trusts people "appropriately". She doesn't generally talk with strangers and makes acquaintances like anyone else. I'm kind of weird.

I trust people, for the most part. I don't believe all people are essentially good. I actually think humans out of every living being on this planet stands out as having the immense capability - and we have exercised it - to do great harm. Philosophically, I think we're the only ones capable of evil. That's all metaphysical stuff, though.

But I love people. I love watching people and talking to strangers. I have a hard time hating people. Even people I supposedly shouldn't put up with. For nothing else, I enjoy seeing the many different perspectives.

But at the bottom of it, and maybe some of this has to do with Ne, I don't think I see people just as they are. Rather, I keep on thinking and wondering about who they could be. Not a thousand negative possibilities, but the potential they have. It's kind of a hopeful thing. And I think it's partially that feeling that helps me believe in people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.