Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally, I love learning them, and I want to be fluent in at least 3 or 4 before I'm 20.

Also, which languages appeal to you? I find finnish fun to learn.

·
Banned
156 Posts
I love languages.

I speak fluent Spanish, Italian. Need to work on my French (a lot).

I'm about to start Portuguese and probably German.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In university I took 4 years of Spanish, a year of French and a year of American Sign Language. I loved learning Spanish for the most part, but I have to be honest... I did not like the social aspect and group work aspect of language classes. American Sign Language was the worst because it involves so much eye contact and our instructor frrequently made us get up in front of the class and do our little "presentations"... you also have to make really exaggerated facial expressions which I was not comfortable with.

On the other hand, I think I would enjoy learning Spanish by visiting a Spanish speaking country and being forced to speak in shops, restaurants, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I love learning language, unfortunately I don't fluently know any other language. I know a bit of German, Japanese and Romanian, I'm starting to learn Romanian and hopefully learn Japanese afterwards. I'm actually pretty good at learning these things quickly and fluently, I was always pretty good at German in school, however laziness often takes over and slows me down.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
I like languages, but there's so few opportunities to practice them in my everyday life, or have the spare energy needed to keep up with them on a constant basis. Ideally, Id like to be fluent in 10 languages. :p

I mostly know Russian and what I remember of German. I'd to learn French, Latin, Ancient Greek, Polish and Ukrainian.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I quite like languages and one of my life goals is to be proficient in at least five. My favorite is Icelandic because of the way it sounds, though it's difficult to get my hands on learning resources. Of course, English is my first language. I can maintain some conversation in Mandarin and am learning French; I dropped Spanish in the sixth grade because I hated the classes in elementary school, but I got a book and look forward to learning it again. I'm also picking up a bit of Japanese from watching One Piece but it's yet to turn into serious studying.

I would like to learn a bit of Taiwanese from my parents before I leave for college. My mom has told me some phrases, mostly useful in the context of purchasing food, but they're kind of difficult to remember.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Yes, give me some C++ with a side of Python and some T-SQL please. :tongue:

Personally, I love learning them, and I want to be fluent in at least 3 or 4 before I'm 20.

Also, which languages appeal to you? I find finnish fun to learn.
Keep in mind that you didn't specify a type of language and I work as a Web Developer so there are more than a few I know rather well. Some like HTML and XML are mark-up ones, then there are my scripties like VBScript and JavaScript, and last there are those advanced abstract languages like C# and Java though I do like some relational DB stuff like SQL. :ninja:

·
Banned
156 Posts

Keep in mind that you didn't specify a type of language and I work as a Web Developer so there are more than a few I know rather well. Some like HTML and XML are mark-up ones, then there are my scripties like VBScript and JavaScript, and last there are those advanced abstract languages like C# and Java though I do like some relational DB stuff like SQL. :ninja:

Fair enough...

Then I'll add HTML and dHTML to my list. I was quite the computer wiz back in the 90s.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

LET'S GO.

public boolean isLanguage(Language language) {
if (language.getType() == "spoken") {
return true;
} else if (language.getType() == "coding") {
return true;
}
}

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,590 Posts
French was never my favorite subject (the language I chose to take in school) but then I don't think I was taught it in the way that I learn best. I did well in it just don't feel I retained much from it. I enjoy listening to different languages. It's an interesting experience.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
French was never my favorite subject (the language I chose to take in school) but then I don't think I was taught it in the way that I learn best. I did well in it just don't feel I retained much from it. I enjoy listening to different languages. It's an interesting experience.
I take french currently, and I agree with you in that schools don't really teach languages well.

I learn best when I'm forced to pick up things ( I took a 5 week course in spanish, but my teacher didn't speak any english, so that got me much more conversational than my 5 years of french )

·
Registered
2,837 Posts

I use SAS on an almost daily basis at work, and I tell you, SQL is a life-saver.

I also know a bit of Java, Python, R, AMPL... anything else? Gosh, they seemed to throw languages at us when I was at university, but now it is just the SAS and the SQL.

Reactions: jbking

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
On the other hand, I think I would enjoy learning Spanish by visiting a Spanish speaking country and being forced to speak in shops, restaurants, etc.
For me this is the best way to learn, that is being directly immersed in the language. I certainly notice my language skills improve dramatically when everybody around me is speaking it. Plus my intuition also kicks into high gear when trying to discern what others are saying when I don't every word spoken. That way there's a sense of random and dare I say involuntary use of the language, I have to use it whether I like it or not.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I love learning new languages! It's a serious goal of mine to be proficient in at least two more languages before I die. I took a couple of semesters of Spanish in high school, but I doubt I can remember enough to string together a sentence. I was taking it because a foreign language was basically required for college, so I didn't take it too seriously.

In college, I had to take a class in whatever I had in high school, and, because I barely learned anything, I decided to start from scratch with German. By the time I finished my first semester, I had fallen in love with it. I went as far as to consider picking it up as a second major or a minor, but, because of the major I had at the time, doing so would have added another year of school. What sucks is that, after changing my major, I ended up adding another year anyway.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I do very much, though I only speak my native language, English, and Modern Standard Arabic (with a smattering of dialect I hope to improve on someday). I studied French in college and did well, though it was only two semesters and quite a long time ago, so I have forgotten most of it. I taught myself a bit of Mandarin many years ago in China and studied a bit when I got back to the U.S., but never put enough work into it, and the little bit i knew has either been forgotten or lost to Arabic. I spent almost a year in Central America (mostly Costa Rica) and Mexico last year and speak and understand a bit of Spanish esp. food stuff, as I am a vegan. I would like to invest more time in this language in the future. I may spend six months in Mexico next year. If so, I hope to take some courses; If only I weren't so damn كسلان

I hope to begin studying Tibetan, Nepali, and a bit of Sanskrit next fall in Kathmandu (also Tibetan Buddhism). This is my fourth time to Nepal, I should speak much more Nepali and Tibetan than the few words and phrases I know.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I often tried to learn another language. I am german, but I love other languages, often for the pure aesthetic reason. I love the sound of other languages.

I learn english, learned it in school for a few years, but started to learn it "peripheral" at reading some books because they were only available in english. since this time, I intensely read and listen to english language, read books, watch movies, listen to songs only in english. It became a kind of second personality to me, so it feels like my 2nd mothertongue to me. There are many words, I dont know sometimes speaking english^^ but I am going to attend a special tech-support level at work with english support and I am so excited to have the chance to do so. I love the dialects of the english language, american, scotch, irish and especially (I am not sure it thats cool or okay or stupid) east london cockney dialect.

I often started to learn spanish, but I stopped it without any reason. I feel bad about it everytime. I want to learn french, I had 2 years in school and I loved it very much, sadly, the class stopped because most of the members of my school class switched back to russian (I am from the GDR). I especially love japanese and cantonese for the sound, japanese has a very powerful energy for me.

I watch every movie on original audio. It feels better for me. I respect synchronization very much, but its not my kind of audio. I need the pureness of the movies or tv-shows.

A nice addon:

In Berlin many foreigners are visiting the town and I totally enjoy listening to them, but especially english speaking people. I dont translate anymore. I am just listening and understand what they are talking about. because I started to think more in english then in german. thats creeps me out -.-'

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.