Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how to u feel when u question someone in a higher place than you.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It does not matter if it is someone higher up than me. Still talks to them as if he/she is (at the best) my equal. I find it hard to behave too humble unless I think someone really deserves my respect. When I try to play along the result is me=a very polite and correct ROBOT.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I don't enjoy it, but I tend to go with the school of thought that it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. When I question I do so emotionlessly and try to sound as reasonable as possible, providing logical reasons for my difference in opinion.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I'm never very humble unless the person terrifies me (such as one of my bosses) or I am in awe of them. I always question everything, it annoys people.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I don't question any authority for the sake of it. Haven't been scared of anybody for a very very long time, though.

Standing up to poorly wielded authority makes me feel good. What is right must be right.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ohhhhhh man. I question authority and "why do we do the things we do" on a freaking daily basis. Like today, when I as talking to my newswriting teacher, and I asked why they write leads a certain way, and he didn't give me a reason, and I just kept on asking things like "Well, then why do you do it that way?" or "Why does everyone do it the same way?" He eventually gave me a reason I was half-happy with. Something along the lines of "it's a stronger voice" or something.

Eh. I think he's scared of me. I don't think he's used to people questioning so much.

It's hilarious. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I hope at least that if you are questioning authority and they give you a good reasoning that you at least consider it and don't get some nimrod response...

I dealt with two kids today -- one a freshman and one a sophomore in high school and I gave them a group project to work on. Two of their class members have been working and those two were screwing off. So I ask them -- would you act this way at work? Their response: Yes, it would make it fun. I ask: Would you want to hire somebody that is screwing around and not doing their work? They give no good response again. So I ask: Do you want to have a good job in life or would you rather get fired from several jobs and not have money to pay your bills? Once again, they give no good response and simply would rather not take any of it seriously. The sad part is that one of them has already had a job and gotten fired, but doesn't think twice about acting different (or so fellow classmate informed me).

Then late last week early this week I had a group of juniors and seniors writing up business goals. Had a few senior guys argue with me as to why they need to write business goals. Multiples of them I gave the response of: Do you plan to graduate? Do you plan on having a job? If you have a job, you would be working in a business. Would you possibly ever want to start a business yourself at some point to earn more money? How would you have a direction as to where you should go with that business if you do not develop good goals? How do you achieve life dreams if you do not set goals for yourself? Does anything ever get accomplished if you do that?

Again... to this I get responses of: "I'll just pay someone to write goals for me" or "I don't need goals to accomplish things" or whatever other response that truly makes no good sense.

So I hope if you question authority you are at least giving better responses than these students of mine.

... and I apologize beforehand for our society's future - I'm trying, but these high school kids don't have much care about anyone or anything. :dry:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I hope at least that if you are questioning authority and they give you a good reasoning that you at least consider it and don't get some nimrod response...

I dealt with two kids today -- one a freshman and one a sophomore in high school and I gave them a group project to work on. Two of their class members have been working and those two were screwing off. So I ask them -- would you act this way at work? Their response: Yes, it would make it fun. I ask: Would you want to hire somebody that is screwing around and not doing their work? They give no good response again. So I ask: Do you want to have a good job in life or would you rather get fired from several jobs and not have money to pay your bills? Once again, they give no good response and simply would rather not take any of it seriously. The sad part is that one of them has already had a job and gotten fired, but doesn't think twice about acting different (or so fellow classmate informed me).

Then late last week early this week I had a group of juniors and seniors writing up business goals. Had a few senior guys argue with me as to why they need to write business goals. Multiples of them I gave the response of: Do you plan to graduate? Do you plan on having a job? If you have a job, you would be working in a business. Would you possibly ever want to start a business yourself at some point to earn more money? How would you have a direction as to where you should go with that business if you do not develop good goals? How do you achieve life dreams if you do not set goals for yourself? Does anything ever get accomplished if you do that?

Again... to this I get responses of: "I'll just pay someone to write goals for me" or "I don't need goals to accomplish things" or whatever other response that truly makes no good sense.

So I hope if you question authority you are at least giving better responses than these students of mine.

... and I apologize beforehand for our society's future - I'm trying, but these high school kids don't have much care about anyone or anything. :dry:

I don't mean to derail this thread, but as a high school teacher myself, I just want to say I feel your pain. I'm glad to see it's not just an SJ thing. :happy:

Reactions: xrevolutionx

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I don't mean to derail this thread, but as a high school teacher myself, I just want to say I feel your pain. I'm glad to see it's not just an SJ thing. :happy:
When I get some of them one-on-one once in a while and make it very well known that I want them to be successful in life and that I know they don't want to be failures, I can get somewhere SOMETIMES.... but with some I don't know if I would ever be able to.

You just have to jump at the right opportunity.

Reactions: xrevolutionx

·
Registered
733 Posts
When I get some of them one-on-one once in a while and make it very well known that I want them to be successful in life and that I know they don't want to be failures, I can get somewhere SOMETIMES.... but with some I don't know if I would ever be able to.

You just have to jump at the right opportunity.
Currently I have multitude of opportunities ahead of me. A business owner is going to give me some control over marketing his hotel and rental properties. Two engineers have asked me to join their technology business venture (which I think will succeed) because of my ingenuity and knowledge in marketing and information technology.

I would not have these opportunities had I not majored in marketing and shown to the world my exceptional "out of the box" thinking and great business strategies.

Of course my "strategic skills" in business comes from the excruciating amount of time (years) spent in engineering.

And I would of quit engineering very early on and never have developed my ingenuity and potential had it not been for the core principles of hard work and dedication already instilled in me.

And these core values were hammered into me while in my pursuit of a career in the military. A career, just as in engineering school, where I kept hitting road blocks after road blocks, but never gave up because I knew two things: "Have goals worth fighting for in life and never, ever, EVER, give up!"

And those two things of never giving up and having goals in life came from a 9th grade teacher I had. A teacher who would lecture me about hard work and making something of myself. A teacher who I would roll my eyes to and be like "yeah, yeah, uh-huh" whenever she told me I needed to do my work and take things more seriously. Her job was to teach a class of at risk student's to have goals in life, find careers suited for our personalities, develop some level of discipline in us, and to help us see our full potential.

I still have some of the work I did in that class locked in a brief case in my room. Every couple of years or so when life has thrown me to the ground, I open the brief case and look at the lessons she taught me. It reminds me that I've grown a lot and have come a long ways. I close the brief case and take on life's challenges with everything inside of me, knowing that I will succeed.

You may not see it, but you do make a difference.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Currently I have multitude of opportunities ahead of me. A business owner is going to give me some control over marketing his hotel and rental properties. Two engineers have asked me to join their technology business venture (which I think will succeed) because of my ingenuity and knowledge in marketing and information technology.

I would not have these opportunities had I not majored in marketing and shown to the world my exceptional "out of the box" thinking and great business strategies.

Of course my "strategic skills" in business comes from the excruciating amount of time (years) spent in engineering.

And I would of quit engineering very early on and never have developed my ingenuity and potential had it not been for the core principles of hard work and dedication already instilled in me.

And these core values were hammered into me while in my pursuit of a career in the military. A career, just as in engineering school, where I kept hitting road blocks after road blocks, but never gave up because I knew two things: "Have goals worth fighting for in life and never, ever, EVER, give up!"

And those two things of never giving up and having goals in life came from a 9th grade teacher I had. A teacher who would lecture me about hard work and making something of myself. A teacher who I would roll my eyes to and be like "yeah, yeah, uh-huh" whenever she told me I needed to do my work and take things more seriously. Her job was to teach a class of at risk student's to have goals in life, find careers suited for our personalities, develop some level of discipline in us, and to help us see our full potential.

I still have some of the work I did in that class locked in a brief case in my room. Every couple of years or so when life has thrown me to the ground, I open the brief case and look at the lessons she taught me. It reminds me that I've grown a lot and have come a long ways. I close the brief case and take on life's challenges with everything inside of me, knowing that I will succeed.

You may not see it, but you do make a difference.
Here's my idea for the day with the business class of juniors and seniors because I'm fed up with them thinking they can talk and not listen to my teaching and then try to tell me how pointless the class is....

Stand there in front of the class waiting for them to stop talking and pay attention. Once all are quiet, say that if anybody talks during this I will send you to the hallway and it does not matter to me who you are. Then have them get out a sheet of paper.... tell each of them to write down a list of jobs they would like to have after HS graduation. Once they have those jobs written down, have them write down things that they know they need to accomplish in order to have that job. Then, since we all only have one life to live -- have them write down their ultimate dream job. If they could have ANY job in the world, then what would it be? Then have them write down things they need to accomplish in order to achieve that dream.

Then inform them that I am very well aware what it is like to be a high school student, since it has not been THAT long since I graduated high school. At that age, you want to be thinking for yourself and you may not want to listen to your parents or teachers... I mean, why bother because they don't know anything, right?
It has been 5 years now since I graduated high school and I can now tell you that "yeah, those people did know what they were talking about" and truly, no matter how much you don't want to admit it, if you listen to them it will help you out and make life easier later on.

You're only living once and have one chance to reach that dream career... so why not shoot for the dream job? Fear... a belief that there's too many hoops to jump through, perhaps.

Want to know how to really achieve that dream job? Listen to what you're being taught now. Everything I have covered so far in this class is valuable in helping you do that -- take advantage.

Maybe that will demand some respect and get them motivated. :dry:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why can't you type the full word "you" in your sentences? You're not authority, but I am questioning you.
im slow typer, and i was in class im just trying to take shortcuts

·
Registered
722 Posts
It's not like a get a rush or anything out of it. I simply question authority when something they do or say doesn't align with my logic or sometimes my personal values.

It's not even something that really I set out to do. I go into things expecting that the person in charge knows what they are doing. But if something sounds off to me then I need to question it because perhaps I can show them a better way or at least it will help me understand why I am doing something that doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I question authority in my head. Authority is wrong most of the time, but i cant do anything about it so i just go with it.

When i do say something, i usually just remember that authority is just a label that society puts on a person, and that a "higher"person is no better or worse than me..I could probably kick anyones ass anyway, thats what it all comes down to right? Authority just says that a person has control over other people, and if they dont listen, that person has the "power" to do something undesirable to any who oppse them. ITs stupid.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i get a rush when i question authority, i love and attract trouble thats why i dout i will live long...:crazy::tongue:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I question authority whenever possible, especially when it tries to control me. Unfortunately, I have to put up with it most times, because not only does my future often depend on the figures of authority (teachers, parents), but I'm forced to be around them constantly. When I'm unable to directly confront them however, I do my best to joke and point out the flaws in their logic, and generally piss them off. Only unreasonable/idiotic ones mind you, there are plenty of people whose ideas and rules I fully understand and respect.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yes. Very, very much. One of my fondest childhood memories is of a teacher brought nearly to tears because I wouldn't stop asking her why black and white weren't colors (Because "Because that's just how it is!" is not a good answer).:proud:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Want to know how to really achieve that dream job? Listen to what you're being taught now. Everything I have covered so far in this class is valuable in helping you do that -- take advantage.
What would you do with a kid who said multimillionaire philanthropist?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts