Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many youngsters and adults too glued to novels. I am amazed if they complete reading a novel in a single day! How is it!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I love novels...they feed my imagination, my mind, and my soul.

I am rairly without a novel in my bag and I treasure the time I spend with my books. I have hunderads of them and want to have a room in my house I can call a library one day.

Preferably one that looks like this:

best, moment, in, a, film ever

(At least if you are an overly romantic book worm)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
When I was a child, I would make my mom take me to the library at least once a week and check out dozens of books and just sit in my room and read them all. I absolutely loved it. To this day, I still credit my excellent writing/spelling/grammar etc. to all the reading I did as a child, much more than I do to any natural genetic tendencies or anything I was taught in school.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm one of those that will pick up a book, sit there for hours and do nothing but read. There's so much detail in a book, so much of one's imagination can be put into character description...books are ALWAYS better than the movie! If I'm interupted while reading...I'm off in this haze of fantasy that takes me a bit of time to shake. I wish I had more time to read...personally, I think it's normal to finish a good book in a day or two. Perhaps that's why I won't read a book unless I am able to dedicate that much time to it for a couple days.

Reactions: AussieChick

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I enjoy reading anything, as long as it interests me in some way. Fiction in the written word, if done well, provides me with a source of escapism - something I can lose myself in for a while. And even if a book is a work of fiction the ideas put forth or information it contains can still enlighten or expand my mind in some way. There have been many occasions where I've initially learned of a certain concept that interested me in a novel and then gone on to do some more independent research on it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I enjoy reading anything, as long as it interests me in some way. Fiction in the written word, if done well, provides me with a source of escapism - something I can lose myself in for a while. And even if a book is a work of fiction the ideas put forth or information it contains can still enlighten or expand my mind in some way. There have been many occasions where I've initially learned of a certain concept that interested me in a novel and then gone on to do some more independent research on it.
...Ditto...

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
I'm not into dimestore novels (romance novels~~the short ones) at all! To me they don't have much substance. The fictional books that I like best are deep plotted. I love to read a fictional book that I can jump right into...almost as if I am a character of the book...not one of the characters already established...but an outsider on the inside~~a character not painted with words by the author. My imagination is fed by reading fiction. Many insights about life is written in these books.

My favorite genres are mystery, mysterious (fantasy minus science fiction), suspense, detective, literary. I will read some romance, as long as, they are deeper plotted ones. As for reading a book in a day, yes, I have done this. Doing this can be rather hard because of liking a deep plotted book. For the norm, the thicker the book the deeper the plot. However, there are thinner books that have very deep plots. I love to read. I read every evening before sleep.

I read more fictional than non-fictional books. With this said I read, I read a heck of a lot! I read less non-fictional books, because they take longer to read~~they don't feed my imagination in the same way as fictional.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
I love good novels. Not a fan of bad novels. :)

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
when im in one of my reading phases which will last for a month or two (once went over a year where i was reading for hours every single day) i love em.

read most of stephen kings and clancy. harry turtledoves worldwar/colonization series which was 8 books. and first four books in george r r martins 'song of ice and fire' (aka game of thrones) series twice. Also robert anton wilsons 'history of early illuminati' series.

normally not into non-fiction but thats because i never really know who to look for and therefore never find any.

only nf one i've read, and read four times now, is Robert A. Wilson's 'Prometheus Rising'

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I'm an avid reader- both fiction and non-fiction. I usually have a few books that I'm reading at a time in different stages.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I love novels and pretty much anything else.

It started when I was younger, maybe 3rd grade? I was kind of a bad kid. Because of this I had everything taken away from me at home. I had an empty room, with just a pillow and a sheet. I wasn't allowed to go outside and spend time with my friends either, I was just stuck in an empty room, to think about what I had done, and do school work(which I hated). I started checking out small story books, just a few pages long, usually more pictures than anything else. I would bring them home and sit in my room and read. I told my parents that it was an assignment, and because I had never wanted to read before, they believed me.

Soon I was moving on to bigger and bigger books. I spent all my time from when I got home from school to the late hours of the night turning page after page. I went all over the place, 15th century Italy, Hogwarts, to the lands of the Dinosaurs, and to places where it was okay to be different. I found people that I felt would understand me if they knew me. It was almost a way to cope with my problems, with the severe loneliness I felt being in an empty room, and being a social outcast.

As I got older I became more and more withdrawn, and in turn started reading more and more. In middle school I became extremely interested in non-fiction. I loved to read about mental disorders, religion, and culture. I liked to learn about specific people's lives and what they did during their lives. I lived through books, because I didn't feel like my life was worth living.

When I was in high school I stopped reading as much, I started figuring out who I was, and started hating myself less and less. With a growing social life I stopped reading all together.

Now I still read from time to time, but usually only when I am feeling down.

Sorry for that wall of text o.o

·
Registered
584 Posts
I love reading novels. And yes, I read very, very fast. I can definitely read a book a day at least.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts