Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These days my main exercise machine is my mountain bicycle.

I got my first bike at Xmas when I was 5 years old. It had training wheels on it, and within a few days I wanted the training wheels off. My dad would not do it so I got a neighbor friend to do it for me. It then surprised my dad to see me riding around without the training wheels.

The bike gave me freedom, I could roam all over the neighborhood now, and also follow streets and bike lanes as far as the eye could see, and back again.

This bicycle gave way to bigger ones as I grew older.

Finally in high school I got a small motorcycle and my bicycle days were over for a long time.

After many decades of motorcycles and cars, I finally wanted a mountain bike for trails where motorized vehicles were not allowed. So I bought my first trail bike in 1990. I recently bought a new one this past year in 2015. I have loved them both.

When I now ride my bike it brings back memories and feelings from way back when I was 5 years old. I now routinely push myself to 20 or 30 miles on a morning bike ride for exercise and to cover ground. We have levees along salt marshes where I live, and there are bike trails along the tops of the levees so that you can go out into the bay for several miles on them and seem like you are in a motorboat on the water.

Today I loaded my bike into the cargo area of my SUV and then dropped off the SUV at the dealership for repairs. I rode my bike back home in the rain -- no choice -- which reminded me of riding in the rain as a kid. My sailing parka kept me dry from the waist up including my head. But I was soaked from the waste down throughout my levis and tennis shoes due to the heavy drizzle -- lite rain. It was a 10 mile ride back home, and my bike got nicely washed off in the rain too.

Bicycles have been around since the early 1800's when they were invented in Europe. They are the most popular form of transportation in the world. For most people in the world, a bicycle is their only form of transport.

I can even mount a backpack across the back of my bike and turn it into a trail camping machine.

I love my bike.

Do you enjoy riding your bicycle too?

what is your main use for yours? Transportation? Fun? Exercise?

Mine is a Cannondale 29 inch Trail 5. What kind is yours?

https://www.google.com/search?q=cannondale+trail+5&biw=1280&bih=916&tbm=isch&imgil=2jbJEDpyg3urLM%3A%3BXMa8wIZvr3DIGM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.cannondale-parts.de%252FCannondale-Trail-5%252Fen&source=iu&pf=m&fir=2jbJEDpyg3urLM%3A%2CXMa8wIZvr3DIGM%2C_&usg=__GXq5c5esKeQ0oJL7kgjwNXVmpC8=&ved=0ahUKEwjmg9fn4ZDKAhVV5GMKHULlBjAQyjcIJQ&ei=4LaKVuaTCdXIjwPCypuAAw#imgrc=2jbJEDpyg3urLM:&usg=__GXq5c5esKeQ0oJL7kgjwNXVmpC8=

·
King of Swing
8,790 Posts
Transportation and exercise. On a cold day the first 5 minutes is always a killer but I'm always surprised at how fast I warm up. I've almost gotten killed a couple times but it's all in good fun. I was thinking of getting skinny wheels put on it but I like the exercise so I like the way it is. I can be a bit of a fool trying to make all the traffic lights but once you're confident on the road you're bulletproof lol

I wrote you a better message before this but I messed it up. The bike is a merida matts mountain bike in white and green.

·
Registered
9,882 Posts
Biking is ok

But I live in Minnesota its really not anything I plan to do this time of year. There are some nutters who go out in these elements and bike but I am not one of them. I like physical fitness but I wouldnt say biking is my idea of it. I guess when I bike ride its usually just casually with my kids when its comfortable whether.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I *love* riding my bicycle. It's my main means of transportation most of the year - the fitness part is just a bonus.

My bicycle is a beat-up cruiser from the 1970's that came from a thrift store and was repaired with the help of community volunteers. I attached a dairy crate to the back, and it can carry 20 pounds of groceries.

It survived a minor collision with a vehicle 2 years ago and is just fine. I really like the sturdiness of older bicycles.

One reason why my bicycle is so important to me is that I'm not able to drive a motorized vehicle for medical reasons. I get a much greater sense of freedom from my bicycle than just travelling on foot or using public transit (which is somewhat inconvenient in my city).

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I *love* riding my bicycle. It's my main means of transportation most of the year - the fitness part is just a bonus.

My bicycle is a beat-up cruiser from the 1970's that came from a thrift store and was repaired with the help of community volunteers. I attached a dairy crate to the back, and it can carry 20 pounds of groceries.

It survived a minor collision with a vehicle 2 years ago and is just fine. I really like the sturdiness of older bicycles.

One reason why my bicycle is so important to me is that I'm not able to drive a motorized vehicle for medical reasons. I get a much greater sense of freedom from my bicycle than just travelling on foot or using public transit (which is somewhat inconvenient in my city).
Biking is ok

But I live in Minnesota its really not anything I plan to do this time of year. There are some nutters who go out in these elements and bike but I am not one of them. I like physical fitness but I wouldnt say biking is my idea of it. I guess when I bike ride its usually just casually with my kids when its comfortable whether.
Transportation and exercise. On a cold day the first 5 minutes is always a killer but I'm always surprised at how fast I warm up. I've almost gotten killed a couple times but it's all in good fun. I was thinking of getting skinny wheels put on it but I like the exercise so I like the way it is. I can be a bit of a fool trying to make all the traffic lights but once you're confident on the road you're bulletproof lol

I wrote you a better message before this but I messed it up. The bike is a merida matts mountain bike in white and green.
Damn! You beat me to it!
I'm dutch. I have 3 bicycles. One for long trips, one for getting around(omafiets, google it) where I live and one I don't actually use.

The best moments when I'm able to daydream are:

In the shower.

When I'm cycling.

On a train.
I wish our city was made for bicycles, but right now it's like gambling with your life.
Mountain bikes are built to be fairly sturdy and expected to spill a time or two. That's why I like them. I am not a street racer.

Our city is putting in more bike lanes and protecting them with bump strips so that cars cannot drive over them without destroying their front end alignment. I have seen tow trucks pickup cars that ran over the strips.

The world is starting to protect bikes more.

The mechanics called me about my car and the alternator and external regulator are failing, and it will be 4 days before new parts get here. I will need to use the bike to get to the grocery store. I have saddle bags that can carry 2 bags of groceries. I am already making a list of things to get -- milk, bread, meat, vegies, and wine.

I'll make the run tomorrow.

I can work from home in the meantime.

·
exploring space
8,870 Posts
We have a mountain bike too, it was my sister's and now I use it in our vacation place. It's actually probably close to 20 years old and it's fine.

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,675 Posts
We have bike share in my city but I haven't tried it out yet.

Some of my friends are hardcore bike advocates but I haven't biked in ... holy crap, it's been that long?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
We have a mountain bike too, it was my sister's and now I use it in our vacation place. It's actually probably close to 20 years old and it's fine.
Back then bicycles were still made so you could repair them yourself. If you buy a new one now, tons of parts are specialized to not be fixable and thus have to be replaced and since bike stuff works different on every bike, you can't just use the parts of one to use on the other. Standardization of parts/measures is not what it was 20 years ago.

In my family(entire family from grandparent down) we have some old bikes still and all their parts fit on each other, but the newer ones all have different measurements.

Today, the bikes are made to only be fixable by a bike repairman. And the parts are somehow so expensive you're better off buying a new bike.

Note my very subtle bitterness towards bike repair men.

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
Before I got my license, I used to ride my bike all the time. I lived in the country so pre-fast internet that was the thing to do. We used to ride all the back roads. Sometimes I'd take a trip 10 miles into town. By the time I was starting high school my quads were so strong I put the whole set of weights on the leg extension machine and then had a buddy stand on top of the rack of weights and I could crank out a few reps.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My car has been in the shop all week while they wait for parts to arrive from across the country.

I have been riding my bike every since.

Last bike trip was to go to the bank and to mail bills at the post office.

I always feel so much more refreshed after running errands on my bike compared with using my car instead.

The next thing I will need to learn is how to fine tune the gears myself with my tools.

Up to now I have been letting the bike shop do it all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
YES! Even though I haven't ride on my bike about 4 months or so, I can't wait till spring to ride it again.
I happen to live in a place kind of surrounded by forest, with great forest roads, also a lot of hills, no people or cars around.
THIS+loud music+ speed= heaven. Especially when you're stressed and you have to stop thinking.
And HA! I got a new bike this year! (sorry, last year) So my old +10 year old mountain fella retired, and now I have more speed and more gears to enjoy.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Biking is ok

Right now I am having to bike in the rain because we have been getting 2 weeks of nonstop rain -- it even made the national news on tv -- while my car is in the shop waiting for new alternator and regulator parts from back East.

So I wear ski pants, long johns under them, ski sox, non-leather tennis shoes, a sweatshirt, a yachting parka, A's baseball cap, and bike-SWAT helmet, with acrylic gloves, to do my errands while the car is being repaired.

So far I have made 2 trips to the post office and 1 trip to the grocery store plus the ride home after dropping off the bike in the rain.

I love my bike.

It's one of the best ideas I have ever had.

It has already saved me more money in car rental fees than it cost -- $1000 one year ago loaded.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I need to get a bicycle. I had one as a kid and thru much of my teenage years, but haven't had one since. :'(
My parents (mostly my dad) got me my first bike at age 6.

My mom got me my 2nd bike at age 14.

My 3rd bike was a motorcycle, as was my 4th.

My next one was a cheap mountain/trail bike back in 1991.

My new one is a Cannondale Trail 5 29" super mountain bike.

I absolutely love it.

Great for exercise. Great for scenery. And great for transportation.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
My parents (mostly my dad) got me my first bike at age 6.

My mom got me my 2nd bike at age 14.

My 3rd bike was a motorcycle, as was my 4th.

My next one was a cheap mountain/trail bike back in 1991.

My new one is a Cannondale Trail 5 29" super mountain bike.

I absolutely love it.

Great for exercise. Great for scenery. And great for transportation.
I've never driven a motorcycle, but finally was on the back of one while someone else drove when I went to Asia...Very nearly got to drive it myself, but someone else who could drive turned up.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts