Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure singing isn't just an Extrovert/NF thing, as the stereotype would hold. Do you enjoy it? Why/why not? If so, how much? (For an audience, even? or just by your lonesome?) How good are you at it?

I enjoy singing and humming to myself; I think it's a comfort/quirk sort of thing, similar to biting my fingernails while I am focused. I almost always stop when someone's around though. I am not sure it it's a self-conscious response or if I just don't want to annoy people. :proud:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I very much enjoy singing, but only alone :p
But I do enjoy it a lot. I can't really say why, though.

I didn't know it was associated with NFs and Es.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know it was associated with NFs and Es.
That is what I and a few others I have spoken to seem to gather. The NF connection makes sense superficially because music is often an expression of deep emotion. The E thing, I figure, is mainly about the performance aspect of singing. Performance in general, I think, is probably moderately tied to the E preference. I mean, it's so showy - I wouldn't want to attract that sort of attention to myself, however positive. It's uncomfortable. :mellow:

·
Registered
672 Posts
I do sing to myself, and sometimes at my desk. Mostly to annoy people around me.

Reactions: BeeInTheBonnet

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yeah, I love singing, but not in front of people because I'm a terrible singer and I don't want to make them uncomfortable.

·
Registered
911 Posts
i hate it hate it hate hate hate it
I have a really soft voice and I just plain suck at it...
but it does help me with english pronunciation; but when i do sing, I do it in privacy.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I love singing by myself and friends usually prod me into free-styling, especially after a few drinks. I, however, believe glasses will shatter and eardrums will bleed whenever I attempt to sing seriously.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I like singing, but I only do it when I'm outside (softly) or when I'm the only one at home (loud). I can't say I'm very good at it, but I only do it for fun, so who cares?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Meh, I'm sure it's not just related to the Es and NFs. :p
In response to the thread topic, yes, I do sing, and enjoy doing so. I think it's just fun, actually. When I'm alone, I often sing or hum a lot. However, I do stop when someone's around. I don't want to bother them with my voice. It's only passably decent after all.

I can sing with an audience though, if asked. I don't mind. I warn everyone in advance about my horrible singing voice however, to preserve both our sanities.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I love singing, but only when I'm at home by myself or outside with no one else around. I don't like singing in front of people, but sometimes the music will be sooo good that sometimes I just have to sing or I'll start bouncing off the walls in frustration @[email protected]

·
Registered
427 Posts
I love singing, it's just a great feeling, I can't break it down any more than that. I like singing to myself or with people, but singin to people all on my own is a bit confronting. I'm a good singer and I've been to various choirs.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I sing. Not quite professionally, since it's really just a side hobby more than anything, but I've performed. I prefer the more technical aspect of singing, so I sing in a classical style (that is, opera or operettes).

As for it being an NF thing, I could see how people would say that. I really, really, really have to make a conscious effort to remember to put "emotion" into the song. I tend to get the technique right, but mess up the emotion/connecting part. I love singing, don't get me wrong, but to me, it's a craft, a science, a sport. Not really a musical diary. lol

And as for it being an E thing, I disagree. I'm a coloratura soprano, but still, I tend to overdo the practicing and focus too much on my higher range. And then I end up straining/overworking my voice. You HAVE to rest your voice COMPLETELY for a few days if you strain it. Not talking = NOT FUN FOR AN E. :angry:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I like singing quite a lot, but only when absolutely nobody is around. I'll probably be dancing like a madwoman, too.
I'm pretty sure my voice is terrible, but it's only for me. :]

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I like to randomly burst out in song when I'm alone. Sometimes I can't help it.

I used to sing whether I was alone or not, but then a friend of mine commented on how bad my voice was, and I took it personally.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I love to sing; it's one of my hidden talents that I have not really honed.

I dislike much of the choral aspect, though. So much of it is steeped in tradition.
I'm not necessarily sure that it is an NF thing - maybe more SF?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I'm a bedroom musician! I've been writing songs since I was 12, mainly to let out all the emotions. I have a terrible voice but singing (alone, of course) brings a certain level of satisfaction that I can't quite describe. :proud:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I don't like singing and there was one point in my life where I hated other people singing. I liked instrumentals only. I listen to a lot of them to this day. Unless the harmony is right, I find vocals more of an annoyance if anything. I play the acoustic guitar and so far, it's been a pretty good voice for me :blushed:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts