Personality Cafe banner

Do You Enjoy The Simple Life Since The Lock Down?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
No

So because you asked...

I went through both a bad break up and job transition back in late Dec-late January. (Pre Corona Lockdown
The reason I am bringing that up is because while I do not usually get that depressed it just was a significant life event and change with the two happening.

Yes I recognize shit happens and we all go through shit in life. But for context purposes of my story to explain... So anyways I had devoted a hefty chunk of my time to my work as far as like purpose and fulfillment and occupied time the last few years. I’m no stranger to shit happening in life as far as fazes and life transitions. I have gone through worse and pulled myself outta worse. However those events colliding really left me with feeling a ton of excruciating pain and also left with lots sudden time. Prior to Corona stuff. At that time I did my own isolation and lockdown shutting myself in. For my own mental health and process etc. Usually in my life when I have had significant feelings of loss or grief I emotionally and physically shut down and shut in to process.

So just timing wise about the time I was starting to be in faze 2 of grief recovery and wanting to go out hit my gym, join society and do things I would usually do, and kill it and be my best self was when lock down started.

So the timing for me is more so a crucial factor was my point. It has definitely effected my mental health and self esteem having to adjust what would usually otherwise be my coping mechanisms and stages of grief when I go through stuff. So basically I was in what state of grief in my life transition was denial but was denied all my usual outlets to go through that :laughing:

Will I survive long run yes. Is there way worse going on yes. Do I understand that yes.

So I just vented to my sister yesterday I’m very used to being in charge of making things happen to occupy a lot of my life. I’m very used to spending my down and recreational time enjoying sensor like things :laughing: .

So I cannot do usual things I would to cope and move on with my life like fuck a stranger :laughing: , go to a gym, go to a roller rank, have a craft beer or margarita among friends, also let me point out I live in MN it’s cold here we already have lockdown atmosphere in winter as far as activities. We usually depend on external indoor activities. Also for mental health and UVs to avoid seasonal depression I like to go tan once a week in winter.

Our weather is not yet really nice out. So I don’t enjoy outside stuff yet.

So it truly does feel like I have been in lockdown much longer In terms of timelines crossing between my personal life events and then globally. I feel very stuck in time.

My sister an introvert was laughing at me while I vented. She told me how she loved this. She also said how she was going to sow a pillow :laughing: she suggested I find some miscellaneous shit to fulfill myself. I swear to gawd it was a funny happy kindred convo. But I was like dude thats weird, for me To find a miscellaneous hobby to do, like sow a pillow, shit is nuts. Lol.

I was like dude these events bring me back to us being kids. Her happy to play in a sand box alone for several hours and me running around neighborhood looking for a project and other children to direct for my latest idea. She agreed I need something to manage or an outside stimulation and activities and sowing a fucken pillow will not fulfill me. Then she asked me if I cleaned. I’m like dude which time I’m not like you cleaning doesn’t make me feel fulfilled. In fact with no end in sight and nothing to do having everything clean and caught up feels empty and creepy as fuck.

I did point out to her she live in Vegas where it’s fucken warm out and walking is fun this time of year

Anyways glad I could vent about this here

It’s not that I always have to be by people. Much of what I do in life is on my own. But I do depend on external stimulation for outlet especially in crucial periods of my life to move on etc

·
Registered
ENFP-A 359 sp/sx
1,242 Posts
Not especially.
Less than optimal, but I'll take it for what it is.
In the past, I've cursed demobilizations;
fortunately, the time is invested in academics, exercise, spiritual communion, etc.

Would rather be out on "missions"... :eek:h:

·
Registered
15,072 Posts
It's not too much of a change for me. Only thing I miss about the past is working out outside of home.

The main reason why I hate this whole situation is because so many people are getting on my fucking nerves in the way they're dealing with this. Also, the media's been an even bigger piece of shit than usual.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
I should say my venting above is the mental health cons for my temperament

I have benefitted huge from all this financially

When left job had huge pay out in accumulated PTO and my share holdings in company and paid bills ahead

When I got my tax return from over paying in 2019 it was also decent and allowed me to pay bills ahead

When this stimulus check came I was able to put that all down to pay even more ahead

I have a part time ‘essential’ entry level job in my field which has afforded me the luxury of really putting a strategic focus on what I do and do not want to do for more permanent work and be more selective because there is still some money flow for miscellaneous expenses and bills paid ahead

So in that way I’d say that I have been fortunate

So to answer that age old question on if money makes people happy
Uh well I like having much more financial security and this ability to of paid my bills ahead and be more selective is to my long term wellbeing all the way around, but as I said lack of stimulation outlet has effected mental health.

So there is certainly a crap ton of benefits I had for when and how this has all played out in my case when it comes to finances and paying bills very far out and ahead to where I will consider myself very fortunate.

Regardless of how much I personally have benefitted financial however, and in spite of being in initial support of 6 week lock down, I do not support lockdowns past 6 weeks in regions which have very low infected rates. Even if they sent out another stimulus check at this point I’d rather have my freedom once it goes past 6 weeks shutdown. So when I protest lockdowns past 6-8 weeks in low infected areas I am someone who is saying it who has gained financial from the shut down as far as having work in essential area while getting the stimulus check etc. I guess stimulation and external outlet in a low infected area per capita and population density I want my freedom back not more money from stimulus because they are just sending them to everyone whether they can work or not (that is sorta weird). Not complaining but should I be getting stimulus check when I’m in an employable essential industry? Again not going to throw the money in a garbage can, but certainly interesting how everyone no matter where they fall who makes less than 100k gets this money.

·
Registered
15,191 Posts
I’m still content and as an optimist I tend to focus on the bright side of the situation and make the best of it . The first week of teaching my classes on Zoom was odd but I’m pretty used to it by now . I have more time to sleep and I get to spend more quality time with my kids which is nice . Being an extrovert- I still keep my schedule active - I create a daily schedule that includes exploring science experiment or art and crafts activities that I’ve wanted to try out - started on learning conversational French- and I’ve been cooking a lot more than norm - i have more time to work on my short stories and oddly enough I dabbled in blogging parody about mbti for a bit - I’m still energetic and on the go - just now things are done at home more often . Oh and what came to my surprise is that I’m not as messy as I thought I was before this shut down .

However do I prefer for there to be a lock down vs being able to go out like before ( assuming there’s no viruses) then obviously I prefer the latter - I don’t think anyone exactly enjoy their freedom being taken away from them but knowing that this is for a good cause and seeing the number going down makes it easier for one to adapt to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Actually, yes, I've found some peace and pleasure it. I was extremely anxious at first, so much that I sought short-term therapy and used some OTC remedies to help me sleep. Once I transitioned to telework I started to get better. It's the first time in about 5 years that I have really gotten a break from my tendency to overwork. It is still challenging, but I feel like some aspects of myself are beginning to rebloom after having been repressed for a long time. I've been thinking about drawing again, and baking, and lifting weights. It's an opportunity to create some new habits that bring joy.

@Sensational

Honestly I had the same thought about the check, though who am I to question additional financial security? I think you're way more rolling in it than I am, but I still felt like maybe I should donate it or something. Thankfully my mom is level-headed and practical and reminded me that I may be wiser to hold onto much of it at least for a little while in case of any yet-to-come concerns. At very least it is nice to have it to offset the up-front expenses on groceries and other supplies. I figure as time comes I'll do my best to use it in my community and through businesses I support.

Anyway, I just had a thought, which is even though I know it's not really the same kind of spontaneous enjoyment as going to the gym, spending time with friends, spending time outdoors, etc., have you considered something that would at least get you out and moving and shaking like volunteering for Meals on Wheels or something like that? No pressure of course. I'm sorry about your frustration though. I can imagine it really sucks to now be on enforced lockdown after finally feeling like you were emerging from personal lockdown. I hope the warmer weather comes quickly so at least that can help.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Actually, yes, I've found some peace and pleasure it. I was extremely anxious at first, so much that I sought short-term therapy and used some OTC remedies to help me sleep. Once I transitioned to telework I started to get better. It's the first time in about 5 years that I have really gotten a break from my tendency to overwork. It is still challenging, but I feel like some aspects of myself are beginning to rebloom after having been repressed for a long time. I've been thinking about drawing again, and baking, and lifting weights. It's an opportunity to create some new habits that bring joy.

@Sensational

Honestly I had the same thought about the check, though who am I to question additional financial security? I think you're way more rolling in it than I am, but I still felt like maybe I should donate it or something. Thankfully my mom is level-headed and practical and reminded me that I may be wiser to hold onto much of it at least for a little while in case of any yet-to-come concerns. At very least it is nice to have it to offset the up-front expenses on groceries and other supplies. I figure as time comes I'll do my best to use it in my community and through businesses I support.

Anyway, I just had a thought, which is even though I know it's not really the same kind of spontaneous enjoyment as going to the gym, spending time with friends, spending time outdoors, etc., have you considered something that would at least get you out and moving and shaking like volunteering for Meals on Wheels or something like that? No pressure of course. I'm sorry about your frustration though. I can imagine it really sucks to now be on enforced lockdown after finally feeling like you were emerging from personal lockdown. I hope the warmer weather comes quickly so at least that can help.
That is actually a kind and productive suggestion (thank you)

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was broke before all this happened so I didn't have money to go out and do things anyway. Before this I was at home writing and watching DVDs.

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
3,153 Posts
Don't notice too much about it.
I'm still working 5 days a week.

The only downfall is the damn supermarket, where people still are standnig in the middle of the isles to talk to someone.
But.. that happens without lockdown aswell, and bother me just as much either way.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wish I could more. My introvert self is like oh yeahhh, but for the most part it's just draining. I've kind of been under my own lockdown before that because I've been having trouble finding work. I do enjoy being able to relax and watch shows and game, but I wish I had something more....stimulating. I know I could try more things like learning a skill and exercising but since this lockdown I've lost the energy to do a lot of stuff. So yeah, I don't know if it's lack of sun or boredom or depression or a combination of them but these days I feel like sleeping all the time. Also my anxiety's been pretty high lately, and I don't have a ton of distractions. I'll probably miss it when it ends though cause of all of the alone time.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I nearly voted "What lock down?", but instead voted yes. I spent the week doing what I would've done anyway, working from home, taking a local hike, doing some yard work, cooking/baking. I spent the weekend almost doing what I would've done anyway, taking down some trees from the hill that are looming over the house for some firewood. What was missing was feeling guilty because I ignored a social invitation, or being annoyed at feeling behind on stuff that needed to get done around the house because I accepted a social invitation.

Aside from the horrendous human consequences of having a new virus in the wild, I feel validated in my life choices in becoming a hermit, both in the trouble its saved me in preparations for this fun little world surprise, and because it shows I have a modicum of self-awareness in my true preferences and the sense to invest in them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts