Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a perfectionist. I have always gotten either an A or an A+ on all my reports. This quarter, when I got a B in algebra, I was upset, no matter how much I tried to reason that a B is still a good grade, especially since I missed a week of school in which we took notes. Anyone else get disappointed with not being in the top?

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
As long as I am doing my best and I am aware that I am working hard, I don't stress out over a grade. I'd rather do good for myself as opposed to competing with others. They are my grades, not other people's grades.

You're not always going to be at the top and you're not always going to get the best grades. It's the reality of life. Stop correlating your self-worth to grades and give yourself a break... there are better things you can worry about besides a 'B'.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I need first best, second best is no good. However I define what is best and there are more important things than grades. I will always aim for the best. But I know it is not efficient to worry over getting second best if there is nothing I can do about it.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, my school doesn't offer hard enough classes. I usually do all of my homework in class (which I used to love, until middle school where it became more like work just to keep us busy), so if I do badly on a test because I let my mind wander...I get upset. Most of the time, I do know what to do, and appreciate my algebra teacher who gives out challenging questions that can be solved with logic. I also hate having to review the topic over and over again... haha

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
Grades are the one thing Ive never cared about. I mean Ive done well but my self esteem was never riding on it. I
think its because I never liked the system anyway. Good grades dont determine how intelligent you are. All they determine is if you can regurgitate info back on to a test and/or take tests well. I for one having never been good at college entrance exams. I hate them with every fiber of my being and when I took them my mind wandered all over the place. I have to care to do well. When Im mastering something I enjoy I noticed I excel at it. I think you shouldnt put too much stock in those tests. Do your best because it will not define the rest of your life. Your value as a person is not based on the grades you get. I wish people would stop convincing people that the current system works for everyone and if you do any less then youre not good enough. Bullshit I say.

And I actually dont prefer top spot. I float under the radar.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
My thought is on the long run/big picture. If it doesn't jeopardize my plans, its not worth worrying about. What's more important is that you are learning stuff you actually need for college and/or a career. Nobody will care other than yourself and possibly your parents about your B. Unless you are in the running for valedictorian, need a 4.0 for scholarships, or aiming for an Ivy League school, a single B is about as trivial as a losing season in some high school level sport.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Is this a college class or high school?
My guess is high school. If he is taking algebra in college, he has a lot more to focus his worries on than getting a B. Not to mention that most (american) colleges are semesters - not quarters.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
My guess is high school. If he is taking algebra in college, he has a lot more to focus his worries on than getting a B. Not to mention that most (american) colleges are semesters - not quarters.
Oh I didn't catch the quarters part. In any case, if it is a college class most colleges let you retake the class if you don't like the grade. But that might only be for Cs Ds and Fs.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this a college class or high school?
Actually, this is middle school for me. My sister got wait-listed for the high school I want to go to, and she had straight A's.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Do not care.

ENTP's and ESTP's are far more competitive than ENTJ's. I have the experiences that these type's in general constantly try to get me into their competitive game.

Frankly again, I refer to my first statement.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the high school does...
its a governors school, and I really need all honors classes.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
A bit of grade-pride is healthy for motivation.
I think people are easily blinded as to what their self-worth paradigm is and what it does to you. It's easy to start hoarding and protecting peoples expectations of you... until it breaks you. Also what you would criticise of yourself makes it to easy to criticise others for different results with no appretiation for the context in which they live in. High expectations are a nice compliment, but don't let that mold your actions into a box with no flexibility to manouevre.

@bionic ; no need to kick people off the internet though :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am more efficient driven than grade driven, so I was always second best, beginning from primary school until high-school diploma. If I can achieve with 20% effort, 80% of the result, why bother when I can do so many other things in life with my remaining 80%?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Definitely. As bad as it is, I love attention, so being the best brings that. When someone beats me, I hide my annoyance pretty well, but I'm definitely a competitive person who needs that kind of reassurance. When I received my exam results I got very good marks, but I found bits that weren't so good and focused on them. It's definitely something I need to work on.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts