Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Retired
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hard for me to get obsessed with movies, cuz it's 2hours and it's over, and, given the time, I can read a novel from start to finish in about a few hours, if it's interesting enough to me.

However TV shows, I do admit, I become pretty obsissive about them. I think , recently, it all started with Alphas. I still think I might rewatch it, taking notes, so that I can create an elaborate fan fiction, outlining how I think season three should go. I don't really want the Utopian ending. I think at least one person should die, but who? I couldn't kill Rachel. I like her too much. She reminds me of myself sometimes. I couldn't kill Rosen. Besides, I've always seen teh possibility of romantic tensions between Rosen and Gary's mom, much to Gary's dismay.... but I digress.

then came Firefly...Yes I was a few years too late on that one. Still yet to see Serenity. I think because once I see it, it'll be over...unless the rumors are true, and it's returning.

Then every 10 years, I get on an X-Files fix, for some reason. I forget about the show for several years, then, all of a sudden, it's like, Oh yeah I used to like that show. Then I start watching it, and I'm like "Must watch all the episodes!!!!" except now, I'm trying to limit it to the mythology eps. Not working out very well though, especially when I spot a gem like "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" or "Bad Blood" ...I also like "Detour": Scully singing Mulder to sleep. How sweet is that? I think it's revival sometime next year is a big factor. I forgot a lot of the mythology. It's extremely confusing. As soon as I think I've figured it out, Krychkow comes with his "It was all a hoax!!!" Then we learn "No it wasn't. The hoax was a hoax" and then there's bees, and terminal cancer, and boy who reads minds, and that chick Mulder once banged, and a felled UFO with...Bible passages and genomes, and as soon as I think I have figured it out--Excactly how is Scully pregnant again? And supersoldiers whos kryptonite is magnetite? What? And what's going on with her baby? So yeah, had to rewatch. It puts you in a really good welling suspension of disbelief.

Soo.... I decided to cure myself of my addictions, by creating my own fake TV shows in my head. One is about a race of Robots who don't believe in humans, and their journey to determine whether humanity is a myth; the story flashes back to the scientists who made these robots possible, and how and why...

And another show about a girl who works for a locally owned bookstore, who helps the owner fight obstacles such as her tax problems, and a scorned man bent on bringing her down.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It depends on the type of movie, but TV shows and books are generally easier to get invested in. There's more time to really get to know characters and care about what they're going through. That's why my favorite "movies" are actually a part of a trilogy/series, or are in actuality a miniseries. I used to really prefer movies, but lately it's television shows that have my attention and dedication. I dunno if shows are getting better, movies are more boring, or what. I get more emotionally involved in tv shows and feel some emptiness when they come to an end. It's not quite so dramatic with movies (except for the really long ones).

I used to get more obsessed over these things when I was younger, but I'm a bit more balanced with them now. Things probably seemed newer and exciting at a younger age. And my identity and preferences were forming, so that might have something to do with it. Now I mostly just take them as they come without needing to binge or go crazy talking about them with everyone. I still do love to analyze different aspects of shows, movies, and books, though. In general, I've gone from "OMG this is awesome!!!!" to more like "Wow, that was really enjoyable". I dunno if that's a good thing, exactly, but that's what it's now like for me.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think no. I enjoy them pretty much but Im not a "fargirl" of any character nor get obsessed about the plot. For example, I watch watching Hannibal (and I pretty recommend it), and as far as I know, a new season will start soon. But Im not that kind of person who tries to find spoilers or wait impatiently. I'll just enjoy it when the time will come :3

Reactions: dulcinea

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
I was obsessed with That 70s Show when I was in high school, but I can't think of any shows that I got obsessed with other than that.

I like Game of Thrones just like most human beings over the age of 17, but I cared about that universe more because of the books. When I was going through my "obsessive" years (middle school - early high school) I was more into bands than anything else. First it was the Beatles, then Queen, then Aerosmith, then Led Zeppelin. I would develop crushes or obsessions with certain members (George Harrison, Freddie Mercury, Steven Tyler, and Jimmy Page).

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I absolutely love Gilmore Girls. It's bit of utopia/fantasy for me to live vicariously thru Lorelei and Rory and that charming small town where everybody knows your name.

Other than GG, I can watch Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle's Pride and Prejudice. I think I've seen it 50+ times.

The movies I watch again and again are mostly music/dance themed or relationship/life lesson themed.

Some ppl don't care to re-watch or re-read. I do it all the time, going back to my old favorites. This is one area I notice about my Si. I love old favorites.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm a casual TV watcher/fantasy indulger. I literally only just watch it/read it, might talk about it a couple times, but that's about it. So, no, I'm not "obsessed" in the sense that I draw fan art, write fan fiction, or join a fan forum to talk about it all day. I can, however, really enjoy a show to the point of thinking about it for a while after watching it. I'll also always try to catch up with the latest episodes.

Nowadays, what with the internet, I think it's much easier to be obsessive about media things. There are so many "fan" outlets, like tumbler, fan fiction, and such that I could see it being pretty easy to spend a day "obsessing" over it. Being a fan of it itself is not a negative thing, as long as it doesn't interrupt your life, because I feel some good can come of it. Like creativity for example. It makes people draw, write, and overall get more creative. However it gets scary if the person ONLY talks about the show, has fan stuff all over their room, and pretty much wasting their life.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Other than GG, I can watch Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle's Pride and Prejudice. I think I've seen it 50+ times.

Some ppl don't care to rewatch or reread. I do it all the time, going back to the old favorite. This is one area I notice about my Si. I love old favorites.

:D All of this!!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If I really like a film or series, I'll watch it 18-20 times over the course of several months.

What I like to do often, is pause the program many times, absorb what the characters have done and is about to happen, and somewhat become a part of the program (and be there in a sense). It might often take seven hours to get through a film, especially if it is historical.

It may be an INFJ thing.
I might also be slightly insane. :confused:

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
To me, TV shows have an entirely different allure than movies or books. Throughout the course of several seasons, the good shows out there craft an entire world unique to that show and it's very easy to lose yourself in that.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I do not watch a great deal of television, though I do tend to become quite involved in the few that I do. I took a long break from television starting in about 1991 (age 17) until I discovered the remake of Battlestar Galactica in 2005. Even this I watched only sporadically, until several years later, in late 2009-2010, when I binged on the whole thing. A friend introduced me to Firefly, after I watched Serenity (unfortunately), and we likewise had a binge weekend. Now it is Game of Thrones and Walking Dead. One thing I like about both is that they are not afraid to kill off main characters. I also like gritty, realistic fare. I can still watch either repeatedly and not grow bored, though I do not have much time for TV. It is a rare thing for me to be able to rewatch a film or television series repeatedly, but the aforementioned are such series. I personally would not resort to fanfiction for a series, though I do write a bit of other fiction from time to time. I recently write,for example, a couple of short pieces about a zombie-based computer game I have been playing on and off.

There are likewise a few films that I can watch repeatedly, enjoy each time and often discover something new with each viewing: Harold and Maude, The Crying Game, Farewell my Concubine, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, the Last Temptation of Christ, and Todo sobre mi madre (All About my Mother), to name a few. Recently I have become a bit obsessed with The Rover, and have watched it several times. Before that it was The Battery.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes. I try not to watch too much television, but sometimes I do get completely hooked. Now, it's Game of Thrones. My ENFP friend and I will speculate about potential plot directions and bulllshit theories about the metaphysics and whatnot for hours on end.
But more often, this happens with books. Sometimes I'll be reading at some obscure hour of the morning, saying, 'Ok, three more pages... ok, three more... three more,' until hours later I finish the book.

·
Registered
Retired
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually took the netflix off my phone, and forbade myself from watching a new series to refrain from binge watching. Fan fiction is something I don't usually engage in, btw, except in my head. The Alphas thing is more for closure, haha. I think the reason for the X-Files thing was cuz there's supposed to be 6 new epidsodes coming soon, and I totally forgot, well most of the series. The plot is extremely large and unwieldy. It's hard to keep up with. It took me six pages to sum it up, in a minimalist sense.

I'm hoping I'll be more productive now. Put my sometimes obsessive mentality toward something really remarkable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts