Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even to the extent of showing 2 kinds of traits that are complete opposites? Is this a "symptom" (heh) of being INFJ?

I believe we're supposed to be tidy but I'm not at all. I'm too lazy to be tidy. I'm nearly as bad as my INTP boyfriend. But at the same time I'm the kind of person who organises books on shelves alphabetically and according to height. Same with CDs when I had CDs. I can be a little OCD on some stuff (when I can be bothered :kitteh:).

That's just one simple example. There are others relating to all the cognitive functions and stuff like I'll read "x process is the opposite of y process..." but I'll consider myself to be quite equal in both. I could probably list dozens.

I'm just wondering if this is an INFJ thing or an individual thing? I know that when I've done tests my F/T and J/P have always been pretty close, even the N/S sometimes, so it might be that. The only thing that's definite for me is the introversion, whereas my boyfriend is so stereotypically an INTP that he fits neatly in that box.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
It's probably due to whatever your enneagram type is. I know that I feel like a mix of INFJ and 9w1, but that's because I am. Most of the time, they work together. Sometimes they conflict.

But behavior is generally more dictated by enneagram than MBTI type. Every INFJ profile under the sun could say INFJs are the neatest people on the planet, but the 9 in me will keep me procrastinating from cleaning until I absolutely have to anyways. :tongue:

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My personal problem with that is that I don't feel I fit into any enneagram type lol. I'm like a mixture of 1, 2, 4, 6 and 9. :sad:

·
Registered
90 Posts
For me at least, just a little flex to extroversion can change the way I act and speak towards people a lot. It just feels very natural to become what they need in that moment, whether that be idealistic inspiration or a practical point of view.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Of course. I project images of myself into other people all of the time, especially the ESTP. Its a good way to analyze yourself, although the archaic nature of the concept may make it difficult to deal with. Its the unconscious Se, really. Just listen to it and form a platform with it.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My personal problem with that is that I don't feel I fit into any enneagram type lol. I'm like a mixture of 1, 2, 4, 6 and 9. :sad:
This.

Only, I do fit 479. I have flashes where I feel very 1/8 -esque, though. Some days I seriously question if I've got an 8fix instead of my 9fix.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For me it's not so much that I mirror other people that I'm around, it's just that while I'm very sure of who I am and have a hell of a lot of insight into my own personality I seem to have traits that are very typical of some other types and as a consequence don't really feel like I fit in anywhere. I keep doubting that I'm INFJ but when I read all the other types I'm not any of those either. It probably is to do with the fact that my F and J usually test as quite close to T and P. I'm not sure what that means though.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Even to the extent of showing 2 kinds of traits that are complete opposites? Is this a "symptom" (heh) of being INFJ?

I believe we're supposed to be tidy but I'm not at all. I'm too lazy to be tidy. I'm nearly as bad as my INTP boyfriend. But at the same time I'm the kind of person who organises books on shelves alphabetically and according to height. Same with CDs when I had CDs. I can be a little OCD on some stuff (when I can be bothered :kitteh:).

That's just one simple example. There are others relating to all the cognitive functions and stuff like I'll read "x process is the opposite of y process..." but I'll consider myself to be quite equal in both. I could probably list dozens.

I'm just wondering if this is an INFJ thing or an individual thing? I know that when I've done tests my F/T and J/P have always been pretty close, even the N/S sometimes, so it might be that. The only thing that's definite for me is the introversion, whereas my boyfriend is so stereotypically an INTP that he fits neatly in that box.

It is a function of the imprecse nature of the tests and the definitions therein. It is words, nor realities.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I'm unsure if this is a characteristic of other INFJ's or not, but I am a chameleon. While the inner core of me remains very much the same, what I 'project' for lack of a better term, varies wildly.

I have a seriously intense logical side (5w4) which quite often belies my type to the point where other people question it, lol! I do not fit the gushing INFJ emoting all of the time stereotype that abounds whatsoever. In fact, that display often makes me terribly uncomfortable. However, I suffered severe and repeated trauma as a child and learned to completely hide my emotions when young, which I think gave rise to the 5w4 in me. But this is just a theory which I am exploring at the current time.

It often feels to me as if we have all of the INXX types within us, which is what makes us such good counselor types.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts