Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For example, I noticed that I am able to endure scalding hot water like it is nothing. Funny my non-INTP family members get burned doing the dishes in water that to me seems tepid.

Another thing: if someone has a strong emotional response to something, I am so slow to reciprocate. I have to study them and the matter to even understand what is happening- like when Spoc tilts his head and says doctor, I find your emotional response illogical. Of course I don't say this. I sometimes think it.

Other times, I feel floods of emotion. It just pours out and drains the life out of me. And I realize I am not meant to feel this much emotion. I am not designed for this. And I go back to the wisdom of the Vulcans and meditate on it and I am at peace again. Is there a witness?

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
l am what's known as a muggle-born Wizard.

HWMNBN sent me here directly from his ballsack to release a pandemic upon you and your brethren.

Reactions: treschanna

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
No, because I'm not nerdy enough to know all the characteristics of vulcans.
I can't stand when people use the word nerd wrong. the word you should have used is dorky. :)

Nerds know everything about everything. Math science english history etc.
Geeks know everything about technology. computers software etc.
Dorks know everything about one thing... like star trek.

lol, it doesn't really matter, I just love giving that lecture. I find it funny. :D

and to the op. I always related more to Commander Data than Spock. I can't do all of that vulcan stuff.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I can't stand when people use the word nerd wrong. the word you should have used is dorky. :)

lol, it doesn't really matter, I just love giving that lecture. I find it funny. :D

and to the op. I always related more to Commander Data than Spock. I can't do all of that vulcan stuff.
Nerd :cool:

·
Registered
436 Posts
I always related more to Commander Data than Spock. I can't do all of that vulcan stuff.
Yeah, he was at least as awesome. Data was my first fictional crush... :blushed:

That aside, being a Vulcan would be awesome, but, unfortunately, as much as I love Star Trek I can't really see myself as anything other than a boring old human. Yes, I'm a fairly logical, emotionless human, but... not quite Vulcan-level. I think logic to be the most potent weapon there is, but I do not claim the skill to wield it perfectly. I do, however, like to use Vulcan quotes in everyday conversation. Most people don't even think about it twice, which always amuses me. I'm sure my friends wouldn't be surprised at the comparison if they haven't already made it themselves.

·
Registered
421 Posts
For example, I noticed that I am able to endure scalding hot water like it is nothing. Funny my non-INTP family members get burned doing the dishes in water that to me seems tepid.

Another thing: if someone has a strong emotional response to something, I am so slow to reciprocate. I have to study them and the matter to even understand what is happening- like when Spoc tilts his head and says doctor, I find your emotional response illogical. Of course I don't say this. I sometimes think it.

Other times, I feel floods of emotion. It just pours out and drains the life out of me. And I realize I am not meant to feel this much emotion. I am not designed for this. And I go back to the wisdom of the Vulcans and meditate on it and I am at peace again. Is there a witness?
I'm taking an interest in Stoic spiritual practice at the moment, and it amused me to notice how much Vulcan culture seems to have been lifted directly from Roman Stoicism.

Logic offers a serenity humans seldom experience, a control of feelings so that they do not control you.
Could have been written by Seneca 2000 years ago.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts

My experiences are different.

Nerds have a lot enthusiasm for a specific subject.
Geeks are brainiacs.
Dorks are pathetic people that get punched by extroverts during their school days.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, he was at least as awesome. Data was my first fictional crush... :blushed:

That aside, being a Vulcan would be awesome, but, unfortunately, as much as I love Star Trek I can't really see myself as anything other than a boring old human. Yes, I'm a fairly logical, emotionless human, but... not quite Vulcan-level. I think logic to be the most potent weapon there is, but I do not claim the skill to wield it perfectly. I do, however, like to use Vulcan quotes in everyday conversation. Most people don't even think about it twice, which always amuses me. I'm sure my friends wouldn't be surprised at the comparison if they haven't already made it themselves.

But see there is no Vulcan-level of logic. Vulcans screw up all the time. Despite their claims, it is far from innate for them to think logically- it is a discipline, a practice. It comes from a strange dichotomy from within- a dichomotomy I suspect is also within INTP's: a mind CRAVES order (perhaps from our strong Ne and P- which can leave us vulnerable to chaos) through logic (our Ti which is always coming to our rescue) vs. STRONG REPRESSED emotions that surface from time to time, and throw us completely off balance.

Vulcans are always debating their logic. It is a subject of much contention. It is a battle for truth- and whose truth will shape society, their world and ultimately other worlds. But they do not wield it perfectly: it is a highly subjective thing. It is like for most of us INTP's "the most potent weapon there is." Logic is our best friend. But then there is also are those Pon farr moments too- that just seem to mess us up.

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,298 Posts

Is this listed in a dictionary or just your personal definitions which mankind must abide by?

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
CG, sounds like you are a more healthy INTP than me. I wish I expressed my anger when I felt it. I have too often rationalized it away.
Healthy? Hardly. I wish I could stop myself from expressing my anger or emotions but I usually can't. My friend makes me play terrible games with horrible controls just to watch me freak out. (Im a game design fanatic)

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Is this listed in a dictionary or just your personal definitions which mankind must abide by?
I'm not sure if they are in the dictionary... I think you'll find some resemblance though. But I learned the definitions from a professor in programming who was tired of people using the work Geek for people who were actually Dorks.
To me, I think they just make sense. And I think it is the way society sees it at some level. Nerds are the good students in school who make good grades and answer all the teachers questions.

Geeks are the computer wizards (ummm anyone heard of Geek Squad. Evidence that some part of the world recognizes this definiton)
Dorks are those you see at star trek or marvel conventions. But they are generally socially inept (though I do know some dorks who are cool people and not just to other dorks). so like @DemonD said
Dorks are pathetic people that get punched by extroverts during their school days.
his definition of dork correlates with my own. It's just my definition has the root and his has what he observes. I never seen nerds and geeks get picked on, but I have seen a lot of Dorks get bullied.

but like @DemonD . You can use the words however you choose.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I used to be really sensitive but am now very unemotional in general. I think the "not meant to handle it" (as an INTP perhaps) may have something to do with it. To this day strong emotions tend to be somewhat disabling, negative ones anyway, they flood over me till I can feel and think about nothing else and I can't make sensible decisions. It's probably because of that that some switch in my brain shut off, or strongly dimmed, many of my emotions long ago; unfortunately the strong (usually negative) emotions still get through, so I still feel a lot of the same pain, but have less of a response to beauty.

I didn't mind being sensitive actually, in fact I'd prefer it because of all the richness it can add to life, it was evidently just too much for my INTP brain to handle or something, and one day my heart got cut up so much it turned into tough, hardened scar tissue.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts