Personality Cafe banner

Do you ever feel like your memories are just vivid dreams?

2K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  angeleyes 
#1 ·
Sometimes i feel as though some parts of my past are just dreams. does anyone else ever feel that way?

#2 ·
Yes very. Looking back on my memories usually feels a lot like trying to recall a dream I had the night before, or several nights before. Pretty blurry, hard to conceptualize too clearly. It's more or less like looking through moving water, or trying to hold onto water in your hands.

#5 ·
Until I go on Facebook...and shudder.

Reactions: prexego
#8 ·
I totally understand this. In fact, as a child, I had a hard time distinguishing dreams from reality (if the dreams were realistically possible haha). Even now, I remember being at this well outside a pottery shop (my mom was shopping there and I wandered off a little ways, which was typical of me). I was like 3 or 4, and I remember seeing a crow up in this part of a well at the top of a slight hill, and the crow sort of talked. It said "Waahhh wahhh" in this whiney voice, (not cawww cawww), and my mom thought I was crazy when I told her about it. I know it was real though, even though I dreamed about it multiple times after the fact. When I looked up talking crows on youtube years later, the voice sounded almost identically to the one I remember the crow having before (coincidence...I think not!)
What I know is I really heard that crow and I ain't crazy! :blushed:

All this is to say, memories can play tricks on you, and can seem like vivid dreams, and vice versa.

#9 ·
I sometimes do, yes. It's possible that both things are created in the same way.

#10 ·
I still have trouble with this.

When I was quite young, I went to the dentist's and he used gas to knock me out. During that sleep (I suspect deeper than usual as he was a klutz of a dentist) I LIVED an entire life. I grew up, married, had children, and so on. Then I woke up in the dentist's chair and was quite unsure for a while how I had got there - as far as I was concerned I had been on the way to work, as an adult parent...

Sometimes, usually when I'm not feeling too well, I have a recurrence of that - and I am not sure which reality is the real one.

#13 · (Edited)
I met a man once in Jakarta dancing in the rain without a shirt and shoes. I asked him what possessed him to be so reckless.

He reached for each falling drop and said that he had lost all his memories except for one.

Ecstatically, he turned to me and said, "The one memory I still have is the sight of my father when he used to dance out in the rain with me....and lift me for the sky with the widest smile upon his face."

The man from Jakarta was tall and lanky and he was absolutely insane but he was utterly happy and shapeless. I still envy him to this day and I won half of wall street.

#15 ·
Yeah...

It's probably due to the fact that memories already happened...and your brain is just trying to piece them together when you attempt to remember them. Thus, it's a mix of both true events and other fluff :kitteh:.

Reactions: Elspeth
#18 ·
Dreams are something you witnessed, just like actual events... So, you are recalling both dreams and actual events by using the same cognitive function. You remember them. It's not so different than feeling like Ke$ha's best friend just because she stared and winked at you (just like your real friends), when you were watching her last music video. Which makes it a nightmare, not a dream for sure.

#19 ·
I get the exact feeling sometimes myself; days pass slow, weeks fast, months faster, and before you know it, the year has nearly finished. I remember describing it as feeling as though I were underwater, but I also think we are in a way depicting our own experiences of brain fog and when severe, they're more current perceptions rather than memories. That's just my two cents, though.

#20 ·
No. My memories are very real. I mean, they can have this dreamy quality when you're being nostalgic or sentimental but I don't see them as dreams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.