Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ever KNOW that you have a billion jillion gazillion things going through your head, but you cannot concretely distinguish any of them? Or, do you ever feel like you "know" something, but you don't know exactly what you "know" yet?

Question B: Do you ever feel so overwhelmed (or that your head is moving too fast) for you to communicate or even normally talk with anyone? I sometimes feel like I cannot function in the present moment because I am "stuck" too deep inside my own head.

I ask these questions because I am curious about your answers. Also, because I think there is a strong possibility that I am INTJ (rather than an ISTJ).

Glogurt, Gogurt, Yogurt, Yoga, Yo-yo, Yo, Yo, Yooo.

Reactions: Mange and EyesOpen

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
If I know something that way it's because there're already things interconnected but I need to put them “in order“ for it to make sense and justify it.

Yes. But usually able to follow. If not, time to be alone. But never entirely in the present.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Some days...yes. There's so much I'll like to do, but I choose to put them aside for either financial gain or family obligations...

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Just had a day like that today...just too many things that are all top priority so my head was just a constant buzzing of "first do this (thinking of all that entails), then do this, etc." without it being distinct thoughts.

Partially I think it's I am always "working" on a task in the back of my mind ahead of what I am actually doing in front of me. So the background processing is going, figuring out all the future tasks, while working on complex present tasks. This is my normal MO but when there's like 50 things instead of 10...blah. I still keep track of more "strands" than others would in my situaton, and I end up figuring out efficient systems to get stuff done.

But.. I just hate days where I don't have a minute to stop, think, let my brain upload what it has figured out, organize and file my thoughts, etc. Much "to do" lists written. It's almost a neurotic panic response for me. I don't write them often and that is one of the signs I have too much going on.

And yes, I totally turn inward...just intensely focused. Even at lunch with others today..I kept stopping in the middle of my sentences or stuttering. They laughed a lot, since I'm usually fairly articulate. Lol

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Do you ever feel like your subconscious is howling at you like a primal beast?
Alright, how did you hack into my brain?

(It's an emotive thing for me. I don't know if I'd call it my subconscious, but I certainly relate with the "howling primal beast" description.")

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well, you know, that's called Ni. It works kinda like you described "feel like you "know" something, but you don't know exactly what you "know" yet".

Anyway, I think that there is huge difference between INTJ and ISTJ, we operate on fundamentally different level. I suggest that you take the cognitive function test and learn something about cognitive functions, it should make it more clear which type you are: Jungian Cognitive Function Quiz
I know a few ISTJs and while we do share some similar traits, like responsibility, good time managenet/planning, ISTJs have very rigid view of the world. They are sort of like keepers of traditions and usually don't even consider trying to understand otherness... while INTJs are here to dissect, analyze and subvert traditions, we are the very embodiment of otherness.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Partially I think it's I am always "working" on a task in the back of my mind ahead of what I am actually doing in front of me. So the background processing is going, figuring out all the future tasks, while working on complex present tasks.
This is how I usually describe it to people. Even if it doesn't look like I'm working on something, I am. I just don't always know it.

And then at 3 in the morning when I'm restlessly trying to sleep I snap my eyes open and realize, "... I know what I have to do​."

·
Registered
295 Posts
Do you ever KNOW that you have a billion jillion gazillion things going through your head, but you cannot concretely distinguish any of them? Or, do you ever feel like you "know" something, but you don't know exactly what you "know" yet?

Question B: Do you ever feel so overwhelmed (or that your head is moving too fast) for you to communicate or even normally talk with anyone? I sometimes feel like I cannot function in the present moment because I am "stuck" too deep inside my own head.

I ask these questions because I am curious about your answers. Also, because I think there is a strong possibility that I am INTJ (rather than an ISTJ).

Glogurt, Gogurt, Yogurt, Yoga, Yo-yo, Yo, Yo, Yooo.
Do I feel like my subconscious is howling at me like a primal beast?
Of course I do. Like elight said, that's Ni at work.

Honestly, I never thought much of it though, it's just always how it has been for me, and it was absolutely wild to me when I got older and learned that not everyone experiences that. I am actually quite grateful for that aspect of my personality... I can't imagine life without it.

As for your Question B... I don't usually get that unless I'm under some sort of stress. In which case, I don't attribute that to my personality; I call it anxiety. Other times, I just take it as a cue that I need some time to process something, which is usually what the case is in situations of conflict.

I do often feel that I'm stuck deep inside my own head...but normally I wouldn't say that I am "overwhelmed" as you said. I've also learned to multitask, and participate in conversation, while indulging in my own thoughts. It's not usually ideal (because I'd always rather be giving my 100% focus to my own thoughts) but it's often necessary.

·
Jaffa Master
7,575 Posts
I usually feel mentally overwhelmed when I'm stressed by several things at once and am looping in my mind about all of them at once. It isn't easy to get to sleep like that and frustrating when the situations are out of my control or I have a period of time that I need to wait to address the issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts