Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if any other INFJ's are like this. I have been this way since I was a kid. My mother would always comment that I threw too much away/gave it away when it was perfectly good. I just can't stand a lot of clutter in a room. Things like figurines kind of bother me. I have a couple myself, but they are things I love and that is it -- I won't bring anymore into my flat.

I am always donating things to the local thrift shop or selling things I don't need anymore on ebay. I just can't stand having clutter even if it's hidden away in a closet. My mother was a packrat. Our house could look nice and everything, but it just had so much stuff in it and our attic was always packed to the brim and busting at the seams. Her house is still that way and now she has an even larger house. She is constantly buying more and more. I wouldn't say she is a hoarder, but she definitely has hoarder tendencies.

I have recently discovered thrifting and garage sales/boot sales. I have paid full price for everything pretty much my entire life. This past weekend I went to my first ever boot sale and it was fun because I got a couple really nice deals (although I am very picky and won't buy something unless I love it even if it is really cheap -- again, I don't want any clutter coming in my flat). However, the enneagram 5 in me says I don't want to turn into a hoarder and I worry that by going to these thrift shops/garage sales, I will accumulate too much.

Just wondering if any other INFJ's like their living spaces to be clutter free. My flat would probably be considered by some to be almost bare looking. I only have things I love in it, but to me, I can breathe easier and my head feels clearer if I don't have too much "stuff" cluttering up my space.

Reactions: Kizuna

·
Registered
529 Posts
"Stuff", as you put it, like visual cacophony for me. Too much of it makes me jittery and I can't relax. The irony is that my ESTJ loves little mementos and can't seem to throw anything away (because "someday we may need it"). To be fair, we both come by our experiences honestly. Her parents have stuff everywhere and because she grew up in that kind of environment, she's used to it. I grew up in a pretty tidy house so I'm used to a more "streamlined" look :proud:. What's funny is that after 25+ years together, and being around my folks when we visit, my ESTJ has come to appreciate having less stuff lying around and she really notices it when we go visit her folks :laughing:.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I respond with a quote from fight club.

People are addicted to things they own – the more things you have the more trapped you are. Somehow we trap ourselves with material bullshit, we buy a bunch of stuff we don’t need. Why? Is it possible that we are all emotionally unstable? Do we really have to BUY things to feel good about ourselves – or did society make us think we need all that shit? Probably both. Either way – it’s pathetic. Do we really NEED to buy something to be happy? Just think about it how stupid that is. OK – some things are normal, but most people are obsessed and try to gain happiness from the outside – happiness comes from inside, not the outside. But most people don’t understand that.

Here’s a little exercise for you – Live 10 days without watching TV and without using your computer. I know, you will start making up excuses „I have to work“ „I’m waiting for an important email“ „bla bla bla“. Whatever. You are an idiot if you can’t live 10 days without a computer and TV. Do you understand what it means if you’re unable to do this „freedom exercise“? It means that you are a slave... that you have no real life.
Believe me – these 10 days will be the most beautiful 10 days you’ve had this year. The first 2-3 days will be hard for most people, but after that, you call a friend of the opposite sex – have some fun, go out, party. You call an old friend, you read a book, you go out for a walk and do something normal. Suddenly everything becomes more clear – your senses get stronger, you can see, hear and smell better. You can feel the world around you and you feel alive and free. That is how you will feel if you give up something that controls you, something that you „need“ every day.

Now that the economic crisis hit the world – you can actually see how many people are slaves to what they own. Hundreds of thousands lost their jobs, tens of thousands went crazy. Many died from heart attacks, even more of them got divorced. Hundreds of people went insane and are currently in mental institutions... many committed suicide. Think about it for a second – these people are all idiots. I understand, they’ve lost their jobs, homes and money, but why give up and kill yourself? Yes, you bought a bunch of stuff on credit, yes you were stupid. But why kill yourself because you won’t have money? Half of the world is STARVING, and these idiots kill themselves because they won’t have any more money to spend on bullshit they don’t need... pathetic.

Don’t let anything shake your confidence in life. Don’t be a fucking slave. Wake up and truly live your life. Don’t be afraid to tell people what you think... speak up and fight, say what you think. Honesty will free us all

·
Registered
509 Posts
I don't like clutter or being disorganized. If there're things I no longer need, I give them away. At the same time, the things I cherish I never throw away, mostly some things from when I was little. A few years ago, I threw away some things from my childhood that I thought I no longer needed, so the remaining stuff are things that mean a lot to me and that I will always keep. But I can fit everything in one backpack or box and keep it in a closet, so they don't take up much space at all. Apart from that, I'm not a big fan of clutter and I'm pretty good at maintaining a tidy environment. Growing up, I was the only one amongst my siblings who was always arranging things around the house.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
l do. l let my a few of my family members decorate my first apartment after they practically begged me to because l let it go so bare.

People try to give me stuff A LOT, l think this is just something people do, l'm always refusing things and keeping a sort of running tab of what's coming in and going out.

Throw things out about twice a year.

Also like very monochromatic or sleek clothing. Just no ''chunks''.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Clutter is energy consuming, especially if negative emotions are attached to any of it. Yes I like it simple and clean, organized but not prison cell-like, I always create a kind of sacred place wherever I live. A few symbolic things that give me energy instead of depleting me of it, like my favorite mini posters of trees, water, or sth like a short haiku that never ceases to inspire me.

Other than that, I am pretty much obliged to keep stuff under my bed and on the top of the closet because I don't have my own room. It stresses me quite often to see and just "feel" the stuff that has no place to go yet is needed (movies, books, documents...). I can't throw those away because I love them and use and them sometimes, but the fact that they are packed away somewhere in the room is just irritating and suffocating (almost like it's begging for me to release it, or as if I was in a cage, not able to move or breathe freely).

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Yes I hate clutter, but I'm a hypocrite because I have soooo much stuff.

I'm currently selling /donating everything (except keepsakes and my violin and a few bits of clothing and heavy furniture) so I can feel more free to travel and live simply.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If I'm getting something for a friend, & they're in the same room as me, I typically end up handing out stuff for them to keep. I just figure it's in the way of the things I'm really trying to get out of my clutter pile so why not. I always find myself having a mountain of stuff I don't need, but I clean it out every few weeks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I absolutely hate clutter! I feel almost claustrophobic when I'm surrounded by stuff. I have moved a lot in the past and each time I have used the opportunity to haul out stuff. I have been in my current place for the past two years now and I have a closet packed full right now. It's driving me insane! Time to go on a rampage.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
I can't really say if I feel suffocated by it, because I never lived in a house that was full of clutter. And for myself, I simply don't buy enough things to have clutter haha. I'm a minimalist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts