Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever felt that people appreciate Ti outside of an academic or related context?

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
It doesn't make any sense to hang out with people who are annoyed by what you do. So maybe in the past, yeah, but nowadays, people deliberately seek me out for this tendency. Some even call from other cities and countries with their "intractable" problems. My family falls into this category, for the most part. Most of them respect me and the way I think.

As for coworkers, maybe, sure. And maybe that's why I try to avoid working with people in an office. Bosses tend to hate it. Avoid bosses.

I don't bother Ti'ing with random people on the street. It takes energy, so I'm not going to spend it on strangers.

Who's that leave? My children? They might not love it (since they don't get their way a lot, because I can explain my actions and decisions) but we don't argue much, and I think we all appreciate that.

Needless to say, my husband finds it hot. When he's not cutting to the chase because he's ENTP. I'm always saying things to him like, "if you let me finish what I'm saying, you won't waste energy arguing against something I'm not saying..." So maybe listening annoys him, but that's hardly limited to Ti.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
"Too complicated", "You analyze everything", "Why are you naked?", "Fine... FINE!"

Gooood morning sleepy pants! Can you spot the one that slipped in by accident? Wuu-Hoo.. Enjoy your Frosties!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I think it has a lot to do with how you express your ideas and intuitions. Almost everyone I know falls into a coma the minute I open my mouth, I've tried to abbreviate, add analogies etc to no avail. I've asked why and have been told that I'm difficult to follow, but I get the impression that I'm boring the shit out of everyone, some people just lack that linguistic charm.

I also enjoy thinking on the fly with others by sharing raw thoughts and perspectives, and seeing where an idea can be taken collectively. I think most people prefer fully formed thoughts that are short and resonate with some sort of intuitive truth (often an oversimplification), an example being a quote such as "Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations". It just seems like there's little room for open uncertainty in most forms of communication, people don't respond well to it.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
My <3 is an INTP @hornpipe2. His Ti is sexy; not irritating at ALL.

The trait I've observed in INTPs which irritates me is that oftentimes, an INTP will have an idea or judgement [i.e. X is Y!]. And then, I'll ask them questions about it because I find "X is Y!" absolutely fascinating. But then the INTP will either think that I'm criticizing, saying that they're wrong, and ascribe really fu*king weird reasons to my inquiry full with ulterior motives which are entirely made up.

It's frustrating because I never get to hear the reasoning behind these types of INTP thought process. Or, they think they're giving me reasons "just go back and read what I said". But stating "X is Y!" is not showing me HOW "X is Y!" or WHY "X is Y!" or what this new revelation of "X is Y!" can do for me.

So Ti is extremely attractive to me, but sometimes I need more than just the pronouncement. This is the same for ISTPs, too, so I'm thinking it's a dom Ti inferior Fe thing.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
In its rawest form, yes. But then perhaps I'm the same way actually... Ti can be pretty individualistic. So I try to make such descriptions either relatable, ironic or funny. Usually when you incorporate the other person you are talking to into the description they pay attention a lot.

Also, sometimes it's a good time for me to experience my Ti and not so much for others. This kind of forces the introversion... but hey. It may be a cultural factor too - for instance I think expressing Fi has adapted to be more acceptable with women... generally speaking. That is, with the right group it's very normal to encourage and work through Fi stuff.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Isn't that the job of Te? To annoy the shit out of everyone?

I think Ti, like Fi, is a very individualistic function. Very me me me. So I can see why a Ti-dom or Ti-aux could annoy others.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I am an INFP, Ti is considered my devilish function.

With that said.

Fuck Ti!

Sorry folks, the theory confirms my response.

But Here's why fuck Ti.

First off Ti talks to people who don't use Ti like they are STUPID. Like " No, that word doesn't mean that! Oh my gosh No, it means this, how could you not understand that?" Very condescending tone used almost everytime, like their brain hurts at how STUPID you are. When someone who doesn't know MBTI and cognitive functions uses Ti they assume the world uses Ti and is just being lazy and stupid with it, like the world is full of idiots because they don't know what this big word means or these logical miniscule IRRELEVANT details.

Also on the note of words, Ti focus' on the specific definition of a word used so it makes the user extremely literal when someone is talking in general broader terms like and missing the god damn point! Like " I swung by the other day to give you something." "No you didn't swing by my house, you came and stayed over for 30 minutes and played video games then gave me something. Swinging by is when someone comes for 5- 10 or as late as 15 minutes and leaves right after." And it's like "BRUH! ALL I WAS TRYING TO SAY WAS I WAS AT UR FUCKING HOUSE! WHO CARES IF I "SWUNG" BY or "CAME" BY, I WAS HERE AND DROPPED OFF AN ITEM!!!!!" But Ti gets fixated on the use of the word swung -_- and builds a god damn argument! "I'm just saying that's not swinging by!" "OH MY GOD SHUT UP!"<- exaggerated example, hopefully you get the idea.

That's also another issue, Ti has it's own definitions for concepts or ideas so when you communicate with them, sometimes you have to reword the tiniest of things to get your point across clearly, like using the word came instead of swung, so they can get the full idea of what you mean. That rewording process seems so......meticulous....unnecessary......microcosmic........no body got time for that shit!

Lastly fuck Ti and Fe together because Ti will say some HARSH shit to you, a truth about you that they gathered and now are using to attack a deep nerve in you. I compare Te bluntness to getting an external bruise, like a punch to the face, it hurts but it will heal, I compare Ti to internal bleeding, that shit cuts deep. But here's the issue, Ti cuts deep and Fe expects you to get over it. It's like, HELL NO BITCH FUCK YOU I WOULD KILL YOU IF I WANTED TO GO TO JAIL AND HAD NOTHING TO LOSE AND THAT'S ME BEING HONEST! Ti will just say some shit like " No wonder your such a bad father you father died when you were 2." Yes, the father dieing at 2 is a fact, and now you have taken that fact and used it to attack someone. Fuck you! And when that person gets extremely mad or offended or hurt by that statement Fe is like "Don't feel that way." Like what. FUCK YOU!

Those are my reasons for Fuck Ti!

·
Registered
INTP
4,491 Posts
Looking back over my life, no, I don't think that most people (outside of an academic or related context) appreciate Ti. Only INTPs and ISTPs are Ti-dom. I'll base most of the following examples on my own experience and what I've observed personally in other IxTPs.

- We can fail to rise to the occasion (e.g., when leadership is called for), so people think we are incompetent or don't care.
- Our adventurous/different drummer tendencies can make people think we're crazy or "only doing it to attract attention."
- People can feel threatened by our originality: "WalMart sells thingamajigs, why do you need to invent one?"
- Our stalling and procrastination can drive people nuts: "If you won't call and make an appointment, I'll do it for you [picks up phone]." "Noooo I'm not ready!"
- People think we're lazy and boring: "So what do you do in your spare time?" "Er, um . . . nothing?"
- I think many of us can't tell a story to save our lives. So again, we're considered boring.
- We have very strong values, but since these don't mesh well with those of others and/or we don't express them, people think we don't have values.
- We might hate participating in activities that others enjoy or consider socially necessary, so we're considered to be evil party poopers.
- We question things that others consider to be self-evident or normal ("We each have to give $5 for a present for the teacher? I think not"), so we're regarded as troublemakers.
- We take things literally, so if you say something tactfully we might not get the hint; therefore we're stupid, stubborn, etc.
- If we're not sufficiently extroverted or judging, people think we're stupid.
- Even two Ti-doms can get frustrated in each other's company, if we're both sitting there lost in thought and/or don't know what to say (especially if we don't know each other well).
- ISTPs can be unappreciated even in academic settings; they might be considered hard to handle and put on Ritalin, etc.

·
Registered
INTP
4,491 Posts
I can't edit my post for some reason, so I'll add this here:

INTP teachers are often unappreciated. We present the knowledge and expect students to love it as much as we do, but most students just want to be entertained.

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
I am an INFP, Ti is considered my devilish function.

With that said.

Fuck Ti!

Sorry folks, the theory confirms my response.

But Here's why fuck Ti.

First off Ti talks to people who don't use Ti like they are STUPID. Like " No, that word doesn't mean that! Oh my gosh No, it means this, how could you not understand that?" Very condescending tone used almost everytime, like their brain hurts at how STUPID you are. When someone who doesn't know MBTI and cognitive functions uses Ti they assume the world uses Ti and is just being lazy and stupid with it, like the world is full of idiots because they don't know what this big word means or these logical miniscule IRRELEVANT details.

Also on the note of words, Ti focus' on the specific definition of a word used so it makes the user extremely literal when someone is talking in general broader terms like and missing the god damn point! Like " I swung by the other day to give you something." "No you didn't swing by my house, you came and stayed over for 30 minutes and played video games then gave me something. Swinging by is when someone comes for 5- 10 or as late as 15 minutes and leaves right after." And it's like "BRUH! ALL I WAS TRYING TO SAY WAS I WAS AT UR FUCKING HOUSE! WHO CARES IF I "SWUNG" BY or "CAME" BY, I WAS HERE AND DROPPED OFF AN ITEM!!!!!" But Ti gets fixated on the use of the word swung -_- and builds a god damn argument! "I'm just saying that's not swinging by!" "OH MY GOD SHUT UP!"<- exaggerated example, hopefully you get the idea.

That's also another issue, Ti has it's own definitions for concepts or ideas so when you communicate with them, sometimes you have to reword the tiniest of things to get your point across clearly, like using the word came instead of swung, so they can get the full idea of what you mean. That rewording process seems so......meticulous....unnecessary......microcosmic........no body got time for that shit!

Lastly fuck Ti and Fe together because Ti will say some HARSH shit to you, a truth about you that they gathered and now are using to attack a deep nerve in you. I compare Te bluntness to getting an external bruise, like a punch to the face, it hurts but it will heal, I compare Ti to internal bleeding, that shit cuts deep. But here's the issue, Ti cuts deep and Fe expects you to get over it. It's like, HELL NO BITCH FUCK YOU I WOULD KILL YOU IF I WANTED TO GO TO JAIL AND HAD NOTHING TO LOSE AND THAT'S ME BEING HONEST! Ti will just say some shit like " No wonder your such a bad father you father died when you were 2." Yes, the father dieing at 2 is a fact, and now you have taken that fact and used it to attack someone. Fuck you! And when that person gets extremely mad or offended or hurt by that statement Fe is like "Don't feel that way." Like what. FUCK YOU!

Those are my reasons for Fuck Ti!
This is actually a love letter to Ti. Because Ti avoids, on purpose, engaging the very behaviours you seem to think it avoids by accident.

It is, therefore, not just beautiful for what it is, but, as above, beautiful for what it...isn't.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Don't sweat it. People get annoyed with my Ni-driven ditziness all the time. Your Ti couldn't possibly be "worse" than that.
:blushed:
"Worse...or better?" ~Invader Zim
:tongue:

Reactions: Sava Saevus
1 - 20 of 39 Posts