Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most Millennials and Gen Z'ers are addicted to anything that involes a screen, like iphones, ipads, and stuff like that. I was born in 2003 so i guess i am unfortunately a part of that generation. Sometimes i wish i was a part of the old generation because i think it's sad and pathetic that people my age spend their time staring at a screen all day long and on social media all day, it has affected and made many people not smart because all people my age care about is memes, everything is a joke and a "meme" to everyone my age. I barely use my phone and i don't even have social media like Instagram or anything because i honestly don't care about that kind of stuff. Do you ever get bored of that? In 50 years i don't want to remember my 15 year old self just staring at an iPhone 24/7.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
everything is a joke and a "meme" to everyone my age.
The world is an absurd combination of actions, meaningless in themselves giving rise to creatures which try to find meaning everywhere in the abyss. Could everything already be considered a joke even without the need of memes to acknowledge it?

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Yes, it gets really boring. Sad that we haven't learnt to make our own fun, or rather, forgot how to.

Well, I do have depression which makes everything boring, but if I didn't have it I would be doing all sorts happily I love karaoke, drawing, being out in nature, swimming, etc.

I played Trivial Pursuit with my parents the other night and it was the most fun I've had in a long time. We've forgot how to spend quality time with others.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel like we strayed so much from the original purpose of the internet, which was to research new things and minimize time spent on work.

I feel that the internet is good in some ways, however I feel like everyone takes it over the top with time spent online, and taking pictures of everything for likes instead of focusing on what's in front of them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Maybe when ww3 comes than yes the cycle will stop but with climate change and overpopulation rising this millennium won’t stand a chance.

·
Registered
923 Posts
So what may I ask do you do instead of screen time?:distant:

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Most Millennials and Gen Z'ers are addicted to anything that involes a screen, like iphones, ipads, and stuff like that. I was born in 2003 so i guess i am unfortunately a part of that generation. Sometimes i wish i was a part of the old generation because i think it's sad and pathetic that people my age spend their time staring at a screen all day long and on social media all day, it has affected and made many people not smart because all people my age care about is memes, everything is a joke and a "meme" to everyone my age. I barely use my phone and i don't even have social media like Instagram or anything because i honestly don't care about that kind of stuff. Do you ever get bored of that? In 50 years i don't want to remember my 15 year old self just staring at an iPhone 24/7.
You're an old soul! No problem in that.

I'll bet they'll be a huge demand for opthamologists in the future, as LED screens emitting blue light rays can seriously cause eye disease on top of the naturally occurring process of presbyopia as we age, possibly leading to blindness in the long-term.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I do. I'm not the kind of person who's into twitter or instagram, even though I had a period of doing that, But I realised it was no more than a complete loose of my time, that I was wasting day after day watching absurd memes. So it was difficult but I quitted social media. Anyway I haven't stopped from spending most of my free time on the screens, now I listen to music and watch a lot of movies and series, I also read books and newspapers and I've changed my use of instagram: instead of watching silly stuff, I use it to inform myself. I follow feminist, vegan, activist or hot news accounts. This makes me think I'm not loosing my time, because I consider all of that culture, but still I know I'm an addict. I'm barely able to concentrate in my degree tasks, I sometimes prefer to stay home alone than going out with my friends. The big amount of possibilities I have to do in my computer makes me lazy to go out of if, it's too easy to find entertainment here. But I know I should stop and live more, experience real things.

Also one thing I can't stand is the people who, when living a good moment, instead of just having fun or whatever, take their phone out and start documenting it. It sickens me, do they just live for the camera? I mean, they are happy, but is it because of the moment or because of the chance to record it? It's like a compulsion, when people see a beautiful sunset, If they don't take a picture it's like they're missing it, but at the same time they are missing the enjoyment of just watching because the important thing is to take the picture, and then they can leave because they alredy have it. Argh, I admit it happens to me too, but I try to avoid the urge, it pisses me off.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I do. I'm not the kind of person who's into twitter or instagram, even though I had a period of doing that, But I realised it was no more than a complete loose of my time, that I was wasting day after day watching absurd memes. So it was difficult but I quitted social media. Anyway I haven't stopped from spending most of my free time on the screens, now I listen to music and watch a lot of movies and series, I also read books and newspapers and I've changed my use of instagram: instead of watching silly stuff, I use it to inform myself. I follow feminist, vegan, activist or hot news accounts. This makes me think I'm not loosing my time, because I consider all of that culture, but still I know I'm an addict. I'm barely able to concentrate in my degree tasks, I sometimes prefer to stay home alone than going out with my friends. The big amount of possibilities I have to do in my computer makes me lazy to go out of if, it's too easy to find entertainment here. But I know I should stop and live more, experience real things.

Also one thing I can't stand is the people who, when living a good moment, instead of just having fun or whatever, take their phone out and start documenting it. It sickens me, do they just live for the camera? I mean, they are happy, but is it because of the moment or because of the chance to record it? It's like a compulsion, when people see a beautiful sunset, If they don't take a picture it's like they're missing it, but at the same time they are missing the enjoyment of just watching because the important thing is to take the picture, and then they can leave because they alredy have it. Argh, I admit it happens to me too, but I try to avoid the urge, it pisses me off.
Literally the best way to get off of Instagram is to embarrass yourself on it. Like do something dumb. Or a better way because it doesn't have any bad side-effects is to get banned. Even if you did it on purpose there will be this slight trace of guilt that will make yourself naturally limit your time on Social Media.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Literally the best way to get off of Instagram is to embarrass yourself on it. Like do something dumb. Or a better way because it doesn't have any bad side-effects is to get banned. Even if you did it on purpose there will be this slight trace of guilt that will make yourself naturally limit your time on Social Media.
Maybe just deleting the account would be easier:laughing:

·
Registered
301 Posts
No because I don't stare at screens all day. When I worked in an office, it made me tired even more than a night spend in bar (working).

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's much more to technology than just social media though, I've never used it so much, and while I do love my memes and some dumb things I also learn a lot of things I couldn't have learnt otherwise, one of them being English, for example. I do get the feeling of being tired of screens though, it's so weird and silly how liberating it is to go out without your phone, but it's not like people weren't doing dumb, shallow and inessential things before the Internet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts