Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I do from time to time and what to start doing more frequently. It's been something as small as going out during the weekend to traveling to places in the US where everyone was a total stranger. It can be boring at first because it takes a little to figure out how to approach new people but I find it to be an absolute thrill. I also feel it helps me grow socially. Does anyone else do this?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I would like to, when I'm older.
I'm still in highschool and fairly dependent on my parents, and while my father's pretty relaxed he is still an ESTJ. Being a girl doesn't help either. So, I don't have much opportunity to go off by myself.
But it's really appealing.
I feel like everyone is intersting for an hour so meeting new people with no one else there can be really fun.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
l seriously considered going to Chicago for a day alone a few months ago.

l've never been :blushed:

l'm pretty selective about travel partners, and l wouldn't want to take anyone annoying.

l have ''adventures'' around town alone all the time and thoroughly enjoy it, as of yet l have not boarded a plane out of here lol.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I go all sorts of places on my own. Mostly in town though. I usually only have a few days off.
On top of that travelling farther costs money and, worst case scenario, could lead me into a bad situation.
If I had a good travel buddy, I would definitely be down.
Or just become more proactive about finding out about cool stuff going on in areas farther away from me...hmmmmm..."May do list"?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
hell yeah, I love to explore places, get lost in them (whether cities, forests, countryside, etc). Sometimes bring friends along with me and we'd wander around into people's yards, buildings, etc. Even things like taking long train rides somewhere and seeing the scenery change, etc.
There's a thrill about being in an environment foreign to me and not knowing what to except behind the other corner, the other side, etc. I generally do this alone, but I'm sure meeting new people while at it would be more fun. Problem is, I generally don't talk to people first and wait for them to say something.

Reactions: Botanace

·
Banned
450 Posts
Yes! In many cases I would like to have a companion of an adventure, but in the busy world many can't take time away. I like to ride motorcycles. I'll take a three or four day trip somewhere. Destination isn't so important. I was once riding in Florida on a lonely country road and saw a sign that said, "Rat Eating Frogs." Well, gotta see that. So, I pulled up and went inside. I paid $2 to see an African Bullfrog eat a field mouse. They has some other weird stuff in there too. I chatted with them for about an hour. It was quite interesting to hear about how they got all this crap.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
l seriously considered going to Chicago for a day alone a few months ago.
Chicago is a fun town overall. Just stay downtown and you're good. South side gets very sketchy. I wish it were closer (4 hours from where I'm at). I guess if I do move to Peoria, Illinois, it'll only be 2 hours away (and so will St. Louis).

For me I prefer to go on roadtrips alone. I barely do any planning and just hit the road. I will have cities I want to see or cities that will put me in the general direction so I can have GPS guidance but I really make no plans. I just hop in my Focus and drive. When I get tired I find a wayside, put down the back seats, and then can lay fully extended with my head by the hatchback and my feet by the center console. I put a towel over the ledge in the back and I'm golden for sleep.

When driving or going on trips, I just find things that are interesting and stop to see them. Sometimes I just drive the whole day straight and take in the scenery\big picture of things. My mind goes crazy with ideas and I keep a notebook to record all of them. I've also just decided on random places like I once went to Lincoln, Nebraska for the heck of it. I actually found an Econolodge, called a cab, and then went down and partied and BS'd with random people at the bar.

I love roadtrips and I'm trying to figure out my next general direction to go. I was thinking West Coast this time.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm Canadian, and I went to New Zealand alone a few years ago. I went out for a photography assignment and after that had two weeks to myself to just travel NZ. I flew to both the North and South Island and took in the sights alone. I ate what I wanted when I wanted, slept when I wanted, and I planned my trip as I went, with a few goals in mind. I even went Zorbing in Rotorua where it was invented which was awesome! I met a lot of people in my travels, heard a lot of stories, and stayed in both hotels and hostels. Went on a Lord of the Rings jeep adventure checking out different scenes in the movie etc.

It is a really good experience to travel alone at times as it opens you up to unique possibilities. New Zealand is also one of the safest places for a woman to travel alone in, so I was pretty comfortable with it. I even spent a night at the home of a newly befriended entomologist researcher who refused to kill spiders and flies in her flat. I won't lie though, there were a few times I wished someone was with me to share some amazing things with. But oh well, my cam caught them and I shared the photos with friends back home.

It gave me a chance to take over 400 photographs of my travels but sadly I am only in 5 or 6 since I was alone most of the time :cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ENTPfemme that's sounds absolutely incredible and is I don't think I read a single thing I wouldn't want to do myself there.
@PowerShell I grew up near Saint Louis and if anyone plans on traveling there The Loop and The Landing are where most of the clubs/bars are but there is still plenty to see such as the Fox Theatre. I have never been to the Arch believe it or not!

For those of you lacking money and/or freedom trust me I have been there and I don't travel as much as I wish I could. Also for the ladies you will probably have better luck when it comes to making friends but be careful traveling by yourself! I am not saying that doesn't apply to men as well but lone women tend to be targeted more often by criminals and well sleazy people in general it seems. Also if when your travel distance is restricted be sure to check every nook and cranny of your county/town you will be surprised what you can find by actively looking.
@O_o when I was little we took a train to California really fun and the views couldn't be beat I remember being just in the desert with nothing in sight during sunset it was very incredible. I need to do a cross country train trip next year if I can find the money.
@OMG WTF BRO I think travel partners are pretty difficult for most ENTP's. Hell I have trouble finding someone a friend that would participate in random shenanigans here with me. The bar/club/house party routine every weekend just kills me but I cannot push anyone to venture out from those activities.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
@PowerShell I grew up near Saint Louis and if anyone plans on traveling there The Loop and The Landing are where most of the clubs/bars are but there is still plenty to see such as the Fox Theatre. I have never been to the Arch believe it or not!
I've been to St. Louis and it just seemed very sketchy to me. By the Arch it seemed like I was going to get mugged and the city overall gave me the heebie geebies (and it takes a lot for that). I know my favorite macro-brew (Budweiser) is made there so there are some cool things there. I did find the Museum of Westward Expansion under the Arch to be very interesting. I might go there again but figure some stuff out to do there and possibly stay there overnight.

@OMG WTF BRO I think travel partners are pretty difficult for most ENTP's. Hell I have trouble finding someone a friend that would participate in random shenanigans here with me. The bar/club/house party routine every weekend just kills me but I cannot push anyone to venture out from those activities.
The thing I find even when I go to places like Mall of America in the Twin Cities is everyone wants to go to different places. That's fine when you're at one location but if you stick together it can get boring for you if someone is gawking at a store you find no interest in or if you are gawking somewhere and the other person wants to move on. As random as I am on the roadtrips, I do see a lot of conflict happening with this since I will randomly pull off to look at things. One big example is when I was driving to St. Louis and saw a bunch of classic cars lined up. The place was called Country Classic Cars. It was in Illinois like 40 miles from St. Louis. I took the next exit and I was looking at cars for a long time. Not sure how many other people would share my enthusiasm in old cars.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Funny, I was thinking about this topic today.

Generally speaking, its very nice to go on adventures and go out of your comfort zone. I was planning on having some mini adventures alone, since my friends will make fun of and most probably think I'm crazy doing so (their loss).

I live in Cairo, Egypt and we have many monuments, museums and beaches that I'm not taking any advantages of. Believe it or not I haven't visited the Pyramids of Giza till now, despite its 30 minutes drive from where I live. I have visited some of the historic sights but not the museums etc. I think locals don't really value all of the fun and adventures they can have in their country.

I also want to tour all of Egypt, since its cheap now due to the political unrest, its a damn shame that I'm starting my new work next Thursday.

After I finish Egypt, I wish I could have a million dollar and spend a year or so touring the world, and I mean the whole world. Anybody wants to make a donation ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been to St. Louis and it just seemed very sketchy to me. By the Arch it seemed like I was going to get mugged and the city overall gave me the heebie geebies (and it takes a lot for that).

The thing I find even when I go to places like Mall of America in the Twin Cities is everyone wants to go to different places. That's fine when you're at one location but if you stick together it can get boring for you if someone is gawking at a store you find no interest in or if you are gawking somewhere and the other person wants to move on. As random as I am on the roadtrips, I do see a lot of conflict happening with this since I will randomly pull off to look at things. One big example is when I was driving to St. Louis and saw a bunch of classic cars lined up. The place was called Country Classic Cars. It was in Illinois like 40 miles from St. Louis. I took the next exit and I was looking at cars for a long time. Not sure how many other people would share my enthusiasm in old cars.
STL is nice but you have to be careful in East STL. I know BBC did a report on it one time and I highly suggest watching it. Basically East STL goes from million dollar houses and upscale establishments to neighborhoods with extreme crime rates in a matter of 2 blocks. I know that not only from that report but from experience it is absolutely insane the difference 2 blocks can make.

I understand the Mall of America analogy but it would still be nice if at least one person every once in a while wanted to go to the S&M store with me. The trips alone are very interesting but when you add someone like minded it opens up even more possibilities especially if you are in sync. One thing I have dreamed about doing is stealing some silly road signs from every one of the 50 states and having it welded in to the Iron Throne from "Game of Thrones". Not the TV series version but the the scaled version of the one imagined by RR Martin(I am not terribly optimistic that dream will come true haha) but I feel I would need a partner to accomplish this efficiently as well as a few other things.
@noname42 I always have told people that if I ever got rich I would still live in a small apartment with a few things and spend all that money on travel and extreme sports. Be careful in Egypt I am rather good at predicting social behavior as a result of political/economic events and I fear it is headed the way of Syria. If civil war breaks out I hope you aren't there!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
@o_O when I was little we took a train to California really fun and the views couldn't be beat I remember being just in the desert with nothing in sight during sunset it was very incredible. I need to do a cross country train trip next year if I can find the money.
I'll bet, I came so close to doing that last year actually when I visited Las Vegas and the grand canyon. Plan on maybe taking a trip down route 66 some day though. But seeing the settings and stuff change is pretty great

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm an INTP. I knew an ENTP a few years ago. He is now studying in another country. He liked to explore that country and mostly alone from what I saw in his facebook pictures.

I think it's like this. EN makes a person want to see the world and new things and oddities. EXXP is the desire to explore. Being an N makes you sort of just be satisfied with yourself and not having to have a friend along with you. I think it's pretty normal and natural.

I also knew another ENTP who used to go on road trips with friends. I guess being E made him want to do this trips socially.

I guess it can be adventures together or alone. It just depends on the ENTP I guess. Both the ENTPs I am talking about were 5w4. So I guess it's not that either. It's other factors like not being as open to people in other countries maybe that keeps people alone. Or then again, maybe ENTPs just like to relax alone sometimes.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts