Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, I was randomly thinking this while reading other posts, thought I would throw this out there. Do you ever have trouble going to a hospital visiting a loved one because you are overwhelmed by the "pain" you can sense from everyone in the hospital? I mean it's like walking in and you feel like you are hurting inside because of the sympathy pains. Maybe I'm just odd.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i know your question was more about visiting but i just wanted to add my 2 cents on hospitals albeit not about visiting someone.

to be honest i have a strange connection with the hospital.. as odd as it is to say i 'enjoy' being there. im not sure what or how or why but i do.

i've wished to be in hospital on 2 occasions and to be completely honest.. it find it incredibly peaceful and soothing (i do get that some peoples experience of hospitals will not be anything of the sort and i don't mean to come across insensitive)

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Yes, whenever anyone is sick I find it extremely overwhelming. Going to hospitals even more so because I also have a phobia of blood and pretty much anything hospitals related so this is something I have to deal with as an addition to the pain I feel for the person.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
i know your question was more about visiting but i just wanted to add my 2 cents on hospitals albeit not about visiting someone.

to be honest i have a strange connection with the hospital.. as odd as it is to say i 'enjoy' being there. im not sure what or how or why but i do.

i've wished to be in hospital on 2 occasions and to be completely honest.. it find it incredibly peaceful and soothing (i do get that some peoples experience of hospitals will not be anything of the sort and i don't mean to come across insensitive)
this is the same for me :happy:
even as a patient, i remember feeling euphoric the whole length of time i was there
feeling terrible physically but emotions upbeat and happy

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't like hospitals. But that's not because of people dying there... I think death is very natural situation... But still very unlike other situations on our life: it's a big step. I always am very respectful about dying. I wish them to die happily and peacefully, with the feeling "I have lived well and there is nothing to worry about."...

Pain... It's hard thing for me. I wonder how doctors etc can hurt their patients or do things that feels extremely embarrasing or so... This is the tough part to me... And actually the absolutely worst is doing things for people against their will. This happens for children, for elders and others who can't really say no. Of course sometimes certain things are needed and the child doesn't understand it... But very deep loving attitude and empathy is must for all healthcare workers. They should know how their patients feel and take care of them with their heart, caring about the mind as much as the body... And I feel too many doctors works for money or are simply too proud to come down to face their patients (though I might be wrong, I haven't actually met so many doctors that I could generalize).
And then, in hospital, people are generally too busy to pay so much special attention to someone's special needs...

And I repeat, there is nice people too. Maybe even most of them are. I don't know :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just curious, I was randomly thinking this while reading other posts, thought I would throw this out there. Do you ever have trouble going to a hospital visiting a loved one because you are overwhelmed by the "pain" you can sense from everyone in the hospital? I mean it's like walking in and you feel like you are hurting inside because of the sympathy pains. Maybe I'm just odd.
YES

I actually tell people this same reason about why I could never be a nurse or doctor. The majority of people think I'm crazy, but I try to explain it's because of the bad vibes in a hospital. And what I mean of course, is empathy picking up everyone's feelings. And I know rationally there's a lot of good. Births. People who beat cancer against the odds. But it has something to do with the suffering and the dark emotions dealing with it. I can't actually separate myself from their situations... so it bogs me down pretty badly.

In college I lived right beside a large hospital. One day I was walking to meet friends for happy hour, and I passed a man with a huge facial tumor. I walked past him, and then burst out in tears. Here I was going about my privledged little life - meeting my friends for drinks, and he was dealing with so many variables, and real problems. I couldn't help but feel like an jerk just for just going about my life like there was no one suffering in the world....

I dunno. So to answer your question, yes, I feel like I am hurting inside anytime I see anyone else who is suffering.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YES

But it has something to do with the suffering and the dark emotions dealing with it. I can't actually separate myself from their situations... so it bogs me down pretty badly.

I feel like I am hurting inside anytime I see anyone else who is suffering.
Yeah, right here this is what I mean.

Reactions: SarahWilliams

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hate hospitals, I feel stifled and can't help but feel for them and empathize, it's a real downer.
I hate the smell....

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've always found hospitals to be very comforting. I like the hustling and the cafeteria and the fact that there are people from every socioeconomic background represented in such a small space. It's kind of voyeuristic, but I derive some sick pleasure from seeing how quickly peoples' lives can change and how they come together in times of distress. I used to suffer from panic attacks and I would drive to the ER and sit in the parking lot, convinced I was having a heart attack. Somehow, sitting there would calm me.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I volunteered in intensive care unit for a while. That's where they take people who are really unwell - those recovering from surgery, those recovering from a traffic accident, those who just had a stroke or heart attack, and various others. People didn't stay there for very long - may be week at maximum - but the nurse contingent was pretty much same. Once in a while somebody died and they would cover him or her up and roll the bed out.

From what I observed people just get used to it when exposed to it for long periods of time. Despite the constant semi-critical atmosphere the nurses kept jovial in spirit, traded jokes with each other, and treated their work as just that - work. These people were very ill, there had to be someone to take care of them. And that was that. I think we volunteers were much more affected by this atmosphere because we were not used to being around so many sick and dying people. Usually if an acquaintance or a friend or a neighbor of yours dies, their death is treated as a big tragedy. But there people were dying all the time. And over time the sensitivity to this goes away and it just becomes part of the routine.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Despite all the disease, dismay and death commonly associated with hospital settings, I've always found them to be pacifying, almost tranquil. Everything is so clean and crisp, and regardless of what kind of sickness plagues the patients, I leave the hospital feeling better than when I first arrived; not applying, of course, when I go there to receive treatment lol.

That's one of the main reasons I'm going into some branch of medicine for a career: I like the atmosphere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes! If I even step foot in the hospital I hurt and am depressed for literally days. There is just so much pain I find myself totally overwhelmed and there isn't a way to fix any of the pain there. Ugh hospitals are the worst.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hmm... It looks like we, as INFJs, are either hot or cold in our opinions of hospitals; some enjoy the peace and tranquility prevalant in hospitals, while others find them depressing, overloading their empathy with those that are suffering. That's really interesting.

Did anyone here have a bad experience with hospital visits, other than the feelings invoked upon visiting? I've never seen gore, actual death, or suffering when I have been a visitor, and maybe that's a factor in my current opinion.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Did anyone here have a bad experience with hospital visits, other than the feelings invoked upon visiting? I've never seen gore, actual death, or suffering when I have been a visitor, and maybe that's a factor in my current opinion.
You may be right about that. I have seen all of that up close and personal.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well I don't like going to hospitals at all. When someone in my family goes to the hospital I try to get out of going to visit them at almost all costs(i even did this when my mom was in the hospital). When the family member is in the hospital I try to think of them as just being away and they will come back fine and if I go to the hospital then it is reality that they are very sick.(I know they are sick before i go to the hospital but I try to push it out of my mind).
Whenever I am there I just get really jumpy and want to get out and i get really nervous. When I was in the hospital when i was 4 for a dog bite I actually enjoyed it(I got to eat good food and play with fun toys and watch a disney movie that i didnt see beofore) So i had a realatively good time but ever since then I dread being in hospitals. I don't think i have had any bad experiences or witnessed blood/gore but when i go to the hospital i just get overwhelmed by everything there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts