Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yes almost always although not consciously. Whenever people show interest in me, I instinctively respond in an extremely aloof manner (usually answering in one word sentences for instance). I think the reason for this is to see just how "interested" this person is. In my experience 99.999% of the time this "test" usually results in people only talking with me for a matter of minutes. After those first few minutes of struggling to get info out of me, I am usually able to weed out the vast majority of people who would only waste my time. I quickly begin to warm up to the few who remain.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
I don't test people, however I do remain in Ti mode around people I do not know well... or at all. Ti is the moderator in this sense, it analyzes people until I can figure out who they are. If Ti deems them an ok risk then Ne will generally surface.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I don't test. But I do analyze - all the time, with everyone.

However if someone is really annoying, I try to find their breaking points and why they are so annoying. I do not know if this is considered testing or not.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I don't test people on purpose. It happens on a subconscious level. I replay someone's comments, body language, demeanor, and the like and get an overall idea of I how I perceive them. It's definitely not an exact science, and I can't deny that I do this subconsciously by default; when the subconscious enters the conscious realm, that's when I see if an individual is someone I'd like to let in more or keep at arm's, or mile's, distance.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I test people if I'm considering cutting them out of my life. It sort of gives me a clear reason to act on a hunch, so to speak. If I get a gut feeling something is wrong, and I'm uncomfortable with someone, I need to have proof that they aren't trustworthy. then I can have a reason to cut them out of my life.

wow. that's harsh. oh well. I don't really need many friends, so I have the luxury of holding high standards :p

·
Registered
456 Posts
I can't recall ever having tested someone before becoming friends with them. Friendship just sorta develops on its own for me--it just happens.
Couldn't have said it better. :)

·
PerC's 6w6
5,874 Posts
No I don't. I analyze and observe, yes, but testing seems wrong in that it applies your standards to the person rather than allowing them to be themselves. An ex-friend used to test people by pushing them to see their limits and it ended up destroying a mutual friendship we had. Since then I don't agree with the idea of testing

Also I don't mention my analyses- last time I did it ended up being that the person felt like they were being put under a microscope when it was simple analyzing to try and understand them...

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't test people when we first meet them or just being friends. Time will tell! Sometimes too much testing won't do too much good.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can say that no, I don't test people, at least not on a conscious level. If I'm getting to know someone, yes I observe, analyze, react... in that order... but I never pull puppet strings to see if they dance the way I want. I've only ever once thought "I want to befriend this person," and on many other times, it either just happens, or they try to do the befriending.

I mean, I have 'danced' and 'twirled' around individuals who I see they're not worthy of my time, if they stick to my rhythm, and follow, then I know they're trying to get to know me sincerely. Not sure if that's just a test or just myself being myself. But regardless, I don't test people on purpose.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've caught myself testing people. It's an unconscious thing. For me, it's almost always after the person has done something that makes me doubt them. In in a way, the test is a chance for them to redeem themselves.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Do you relate to what Jawz expressed here? I ask since you have Six listed in you tritype.
Some of it. What he says about work is pretty on for me. That being said, I don't consider that testing. Though if he considers it testing, maybe I'm just in denial lol. Honestly I've always thought that was pretty much a standard thing for anyone to do nowadays, especially with how hard it is to get good employers who follow through on their promises. Part of the friends statement hits home too:
Something even as simple as losing touch will effectively allow my emotional connection to erode.

Reactions: Mizmar

·
Registered
124 Posts
I usually try to figure people out through observation mostly. Once I know people better I will try and find their limits on some things, which I guess is testing but not really in a drama-inducing way (which is what your question makes me think of).

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I find that I do tend to test people by sneaking in moments when my true inner self shows. If they react acceptingly, then I approve of them and let my guard down, but just a bit. I continue with these "tests" until I deem the person qualified to understand me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts