Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't feel uncomfortable in crowds. I can go to a mall or walk on busy streets, but as long as I am by myself and don't have to converse with anyone, I don't feel uncomfortable or drained. The most important thing for me is to be able to think, so as long as I'm not interacting much, I am content in crowds. Are some INTPs like this?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm definitely this way. And also, if I'm performing in front of a large crowd I feel more comfortable than if I were in front of a small one, for some reason. :B

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess most INTPs are uncomfortable in crowds. I think I am not because I grew up partly in a culture that loves to party. I had to deal with crowds and the night life as a child. I think I must have just gotten used to it. When I am at home I do require silence and minimal interaction.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I concur with your statement -- I believe INTP's are not bothered by crowds as long as minimal interaction goes on, simply because people in crowds never pay attention to the individuals within and becomes a somewhat 'neutral territory' on which we can project our thoughts. I generally find that walking or some other form of mild exercise helps me think, but the sparsely populated apartments of the uptown are often filled with people who know you very well, so I go downtown where everyone seems to blend into everyone else. It is a sort of crowd effect: as long as there are a lot of people, sometimes you stop viewing them as individuals and instead as background noise.

Parties, however, can be very distressing.

Reactions: Fiddler

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I don't feel uncomfortable in crowds. I can go to a mall or walk on busy streets, but as long as I am by myself and don't have to converse with anyone, I don't feel uncomfortable or drained. The most important thing for me is to be able to think, so as long as I'm not interacting much, I am content in crowds. Are some INTPs like this?
I am defiantly.

·
Banned
255 Posts
Crowds provide a surprisingly useful cloak of relative anonymity. I find it easy to "hide" within a crowd. The more people there are, the less likely anybody is going to notice or pay attention to me. They are also useful as a means of "people watching." :crazy:

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I concur with your statement -- I believe INTP's are not bothered by crowds as long as minimal interaction goes on, simply because people in crowds never pay attention to the individuals within and becomes a somewhat 'neutral territory' on which we can project our thoughts. I generally find that walking or some other form of mild exercise helps me think, but the sparsely populated apartments of the uptown are often filled with people who know you very well, so I go downtown where everyone seems to blend into everyone else. It is a sort of crowd effect: as long as there are a lot of people, sometimes you stop viewing them as individuals and instead as background noise.

Parties, however, can be very distressing.

I find parties boring, at least the ones where people somehow transform into wild, senseless creatures simply because loud music is playing and everyone knows it's a party. I want intellectual stimulation; I don't want to forget I have a brain. I do, however, like parties when I go with a group of really good friends! I usually end up philosophizing with one of them the entire night!

·
Registered
988 Posts
I find parties boring, at least the ones where people somehow transform into wild, senseless creatures simply because loud music is playing and everyone knows it's a party. I want intellectual stimulation; I don't want to forget I have a brain. I do, however, like parties when I go with a group of really good friends! I usually end up philosophizing with one of them the entire night!
That is the exact reason, but my acquaintances enjoy partying very much, so I generally sneak out the back door. In the few unchaperoned parties I have attended, everything ends in chaos and I become exhausted and prone to hiding behind the drinks counter because people never really see me there.

However, the nice, calm parties where only two or three close acquaintances are invited are quite fun, especially when an ISFP attends, because we can get along well without entirely understanding what the other person is talking about.

...Those aren't considered parties by popular convention, eh? A study group or hang-out would be a better term.

·
Registered
393 Posts
This is essentially what Introversion means: you get drained interacting with people. Being uncomfortable in crowds would be a sign of agoraphobia: Agoraphobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is essentially what Introversion means: you get drained interacting with people. Being uncomfortable in crowds would be a sign of agoraphobia: Agoraphobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Introverts feel uncomfortable in crowds according to Jung's definition of introvert. But what you have said makes sense: feeling uncomfortable in crowds sounds more like agoraphobia. Perhaps many introverts also have agoraphobia! I think it's definitely possible to be an introvert and feel comfortable in crowds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts