Personality Cafe banner

Do you feel immersed in a game even when you are playing a non-human race?

• Yes

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.3%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In a game that has character customization, and allows you to pick a non-human race (say for example pretty much any RPG or MMO) do you still feel immersed? As in are do you still experience everything vicariously, identify with the character, and feel connected to said character? Does it just become dust in the wind?

Do you feel a type of dissonance (disconnect) when you don't play a character that looks like you, even if you're not always looking at them?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Of course, I play Wood Elf and Khajit in Skyrim. Thieves Guild and The Dark Brotherhood ain't got nothing on me.

And playing Mass Effect, if this is relevant. I can sincerely say I'm more attracted to Tali and Liara then the actual human girls except for Chambers and Traynor but she's lesbian.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
*_* I can't wait to play Qunari saarebas! In your face QUN! >D female ofc (the warden was female too >.> lol)

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I find playing a human boring, primarily, and not very representative of my experiences in life. Discrimination has been common for me (though, I should note it's not the racism-type that is often portrayed in TES/Dragon Age/etc), so being just off the norm is what I expect. The sort of "walk easy through life except for people who are just jerks anyway" is weird.

So yeah, I'll pick non-human most of the time. Half-elf appeals, for example -- more than full-blood elf. If I ever play DA: Inquisition, I'm totally picking Qunari, and I picked dwarf in DA1. I think I played Khajiit in TES. Hobbit in LOTRO, space zombie and space hamster in Wildstar, Asura in GW2, Trill in STO... I could probably go on, but I'm exhausting the easy-to-remember ones :p

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm very happy with your input, but I have to ask did you pick these races because of some arbitrary whim, or was it because of some kind of advantage?

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I'm very happy with your input, but I have to ask did you pick these races because of some arbitrary whim, or was it because of some kind of advantage?
Came back out of curiosity, saw this. Were you directing this towards me? If you are, quote or mention next time, please.

I picked those races because I liked them the most out of the options given. I'd say the species I'm drawn to reflect a part of me, usually. Not always the parts you'd expect, though.

The only time I considered advantages was in Oblivion/Skyrim, stats-wise, but I find those games very boring so I don't consider it a good example. I'll consider stats if I'm more concerned about class than race, or conflicted between multiple races, but I'm not often a min-maxer type.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts