I love my everything
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When people say things like:
+In my heart, I feel that...
+What does your heart tell you?
+I followed my heart.
+My heart (insert emotion verb)...

Anything related with the heart and emotions.
Do you actually feel something in your heart, or is there some type of importance or connection? Or is it completely just a saying for you?
What are your thoughts about talking like this? If it is just a saying, what does having Fi-based feelings like? Is it completely from the head, or do you feel something more about them? I know these seem like questions that have obvious answers, but I want to know your take on "feeling with the heart", even just the idiom itself, since that is always used in mbti tests and such. Basically, anything related to feelings, the heart, your heart, and what it's like to have Fi beliefs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Deep, strong feelings come from the heart. Pain, love, kindness, gratitude, happiness, sadness and the like.

As for the "follow your heart", it's more like "follow your gut", which makes sense, since it's our Ne that connects with the world, and our Fi simply evaluates it. The tests use it, because feelings and emotions are normally associated with the heart and the heart shape in the human society, although it's not always the case. Feelings come intuitively to me, and I can often understand them intuitively, without thought or deliberation. Intuition, as you may have guessed, learned or understood otherwise, has a lot to do with the subconscious, which is a pretty deep forest with lots of mysterious chasms.

Of course, thinking contributes a great deal, since introspection and retrospection is how I figure out my feelings and those of others. To me, feelings are sort of these concepts to study and a source of power that defines me. And since my feelings are who I am, I have to be true to them, otherwise I lose my sense of self, which is a tremendous problem to me.

·
Registered
993 Posts
it means being "Genuine" when people says these things.

+I followed my heart.
INFP's have to look deep down into their FEELINGS and see what they really want.

because anything less than being "Authentic" makes an INFP feel uncomfortable.

either that or that they are describing a very emotional feeling lol.

to have Fi beliefs means you see things in a certain way( mostly good) and anything less than that will disappoint you.

( not that good at examples....... just a hunch.....)

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I feel from my head, but I emote from my whole body. I literally get irregular heartbeat when too anxious. But rarely. It is just an expression, I guess in many cultures. However, I do believe in a body-mind connection. Fi is a rational decision making function. I know I will be ostracized by this, but I do believe that humans have a specific neurological wiring type related. Emotions = amygdala - limbic system; Fi as a cognitive function - neocortex. Why INFPs get perhaps more emotional than INTPs, probably because they are more sensitive because of this

You may be described as the ultimate idealist, often a suffering one. You are almost afflicted by your sense of how you and the rest of the world could be, and you're painfully aware of how sorely reality differs from perfection.

It is unfortunately true that many with your personality type have to struggle in order to find an outward focus for their feelings—a work or mission where they may have impact. Failing to do so can leave you forever looking inward, alienated and disappointed by the shallowness and superficiality
of the world.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Maybe that was you when you were younger. I was pretty much very quiet, content, and ambivalent baby.

Reactions: Thread Killer

·
Registered
993 Posts
I feel from my head, but I emote from my whole body. I literally get irregular heartbeat when too anxious. But rarely. It is just an expression, I guess in many cultures. However, I do believe in a body-mind connection. Fi is a rational decision making function. I know I will be ostracized by this, but I do believe that humans have a specific neurological wiring type related. Emotions = amygdala - limbic system; Fi as a cognitive function - neocortex. Why INFPs get perhaps more emotional than INTPs, probably because they are more sensitive because of this
well according to the MBTI system it is simply because we have Fi....... now Fi itself may not give us a lot of emotions.

but Fi TRIGGERS all kinds of different emotions, and that is why INFP tends to be the most emotional type.

Then again one could argue that Ti or any other dominate trait could trigger emotions too...... but it's kind of common sense to assume it won't be the "stereotypical emotions" such as love, sadness etc.......

(besides Fe)

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
There's actually more explanation to your question posed, some involving emotion and some more to do with values than emotion, but I'm tired and don't feeeeeel like it :laughing:

But I found this research study interesting. It's a map of where emotion is physically felt in the body. It's interesting to note how many of the images show sensation in the area of the heart.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
well according to the MBTI system it is simply because we have Fi....... now Fi itself may not give us a lot of emotions.

but Fi TRIGGERS all kinds of different emotions, and that is why INFP tends to be the most emotional type.

Then again one could argue that Ti or any other dominate trait could trigger emotions too...... but it's kind of common sense to assume it won't be the "stereotypical emotions" such as love, sadness etc.......

(besides Fe)
I have no idea in their case then. What triggers them? They have to have them, emotions are involved in decision making in any human being. If this article is not a total bore for you - you can see that there is a connection between limbic system and decision making in neocortex Emotionally Attached: the Role of Feelings in Decision Making

Reactions: Thread Killer

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I find them to be just sayings (sometimes I find them nice, other times I find them irksome), but emotional states do have their physiological reactions no matter what personality type you have.

When you think about how emotions are chemical reactions in the brain, it's kind of funny in a way. We're sort of like a walking chemistry set! :laughing:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Think of our Fi as how you use your Ti. It's completely internalized and your world revolves around a consistent logical basis. For us, our world revolves all around our personal values and ideals. We're strongly guided by values as if how you would be strongly guided by logical consistency. I like to think of Fi as also a passive state of mind, sort of like a separate world of your conscious. So yes, we feel things strongly. Information sort of goes into a more personal way. We apply our own personal value onto things. Fi could be either very depressing or very insightful. It can also be very ignorant and selfish or idealistic and envisioning.

·
Retired Administrator
18,205 Posts
+I followed my heart.

Anything related with the heart and emotions.
Do you actually feel something in your heart, or is there some type of importance or connection? Or is it completely just a saying for you?
What are your thoughts about talking like this? If it is just a saying, what does having Fi-based feelings like? Is it completely from the head, or do you feel something more about them? I know these seem like questions that have obvious answers, but I want to know your take on "feeling with the heart", even just the idiom itself, since that is always used in mbti tests and such. Basically, anything related to feelings, the heart, your heart, and what it's like to have Fi beliefs.
I don't use that phrase much. It's such a common idiom that I don't feel like it's got a lot of weight as a metaphor unless the person using it (including me) is very emotional. Though I understand it a particular way when someone uses one of those phrases.

I consider it to mean something like, "what do you want?" or "what feels right." "Follow your heart" is very complicated...it means to discover what your deepest desires and values are, and then try to live your life in a way that honors that.

Do I feel things in my heart? Like @TuesdaysChild posted, emotions can cause physiological responses where I sometimes feel things in my chest. Heartache can be felt as a pain in the heart.

Sometimes I do use the heart as a metaphor, or the broken heart (especially lately), and when I talk about that I sort of imagine the place inside my body and pay attention to any images that come to mind. It's more of an exercise in imagination or visualization, to describe common feelings that are personal to me in a way that seems meaningful to me (beyond just using statements like "I am sad.")

Sometimes I take symbols and metaphors and try to transform them into something personal to me. I also have at times developed a common language with other people, where we communicate using a similar symbol like the heart.

I also enjoy looking at how artists, poets, and musicians use the imagery of the heart...one of my favorite artists right now uses a lot of heart imagery, and I love it.

But as I said, when I hear someone say something like "follow your heart," I don't take it as such a personal thing, but more of a short-hand expression for something broader that has been discussed in depth and been a major theme in lots of modern thought and music (I guess)--about freedom and individuality mostly. (I guess that sounds kind of Fi.)

I suppose the heart means "love" to me, usually. And love generally means to value something. When we love someone or something we put a special value on it that is related to ourselves. Everything has value, but it's an extra subjective value we give to something special to us. At the same time, I feel like love is very tied to emotions, and so I also might express emotions with the image of the heart.

IDK Those are just some thoughts off the top of my head (yes...I literally pulled them out of the thought bubble above my head (jk...I'm just being silly here, though I do sometime like to imagine things very literally like that)). Thanks for asking an interesting question, Moonious.

·
Registered
16,020 Posts
Do I feel in my heart? I'll tell you, this weird thing happens to me -- when I hear sudden news or surprising news about someone I love or someone I am close to in my family, I'll get this quick burst of..... how do I explain this?..... a burst of energy or adrenalin or ZzZzZzZ (an electrical charge) centered in either my gut or heart region. It's like a *zap*. I have never been able to figure out if it is purely spiritual or physiological. Some believe in the chakra system, don't know if it has to do with that, all I know is I feel it. So yes, I DO *feel*.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
There's actually more explanation to your question posed, some involving emotion and some more to do with values than emotion, but I'm tired and don't feeeeeel like it :laughing:

But I found this research study interesting. It's a map of where emotion is physically felt in the body. It's interesting to note how many of the images show sensation in the area of the heart.

I like how love is felt from the head down to the crotch

I think it's hard for me to separate my head from my "heart". I feel in the brain. I have a difficult time telling the difference between things I am thinking and feeling, and sometimes don't even believe there should be a difference.

·
Registered
756 Posts
What are your thoughts about talking like this? If it is just a saying, what does having Fi-based feelings like? Is it completely from the head, or do you feel something more about them?
Not really. The closest my physical feelings get to my heart, is my chest. My left side is actually less activated when feeling. I think this just has to do with muscle tension/strength (I'm right handed). I feel different feelings all over my body and they're usually quite strong which is why I hate it when people tell me to ignore my feelings or that I'm too sensitive. It is a strong physical reaction, which actually bothers me more than topical pains like scrapes, cuts and bruises.
For example sadness or hurt feelings will radiate from the pit of my stomach and feel like knives are being run up my esophagus. Stress feel like a heavy weight on my shoulders and lungs and it gives me chest pains. Jealousy, envy and embarrassment affect my cheeks and make me lose feeling in my limbs while also losing control of them (I become jittery). Love really does affect the whole body although I'm pretty unaware of my legs, I will feel a strong need to hug something (not joking) my chest and shoulders become filled with energy. Anger and annoyance are the ones I feel predominantly in my limbs (also my face) and they make me want to kick/punch/strangle people (I don't act on it....mostly). Excitement is felt as lightness in the chest, it feels like I'm being lifted up and my limbs also feel lighter and I gain more energy. I feel disgust in the top of my throat, mouth and nose.

So no, I don't really feel anything in the heart other than actual hear palpitations. I also don't use that expression much because it makes no sense and thinkers shit on me for saying such childish things.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I'm looking at this and I just can't get it to make any sense.
"Listen, I know I'm in love and not just happy because I don't feel the warmth in my legs". "Don't worry, I'm just proud, not angry, see, my arms don't internally feel as warm".
See if this had to do with blood circulation, which I'm sure it doesn't, I can just imagine a lot of folk with chronic depression having stone cold limbs. Depression man looks like aqua-man hybrid.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Why a muppet facepalm, is it because I'm curious how your type experiences feels?
I'm very much enjoying recent glimpses into the depth of feelers, thanks for the input, I don't expect to be accepted but it's encouraging that you reacted.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts