Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized today that I initially feel inhibited when I sense competition.... I don't know why. I consider myself an "achiever" and my friends consider me an over-achiever, but I really dislike when things turn competitive. I tend to withdraw, process the information, and work hard, but initially i get more and more inhibited until i have that time to withdraw and come out with a game plan or something. I haven't even processed all of my thoughts on this and analyzed things yet, but oh well, i'm posting my raw feelings here and yeah... anyone relate to this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I realized today that I initially feel inhibited when I sense competition.... I don't know why. I consider myself an "achiever" and my friends consider me an over-achiever, but I really dislike when things turn competitive. I tend to withdraw, process the information, and work hard, but initially i get more and more inhibited until i have that time to withdraw and come out with a game plan or something. I haven't even processed all of my thoughts on this and analyzed things yet, but oh well, i'm posting my raw feelings here and yeah... anyone relate to this?
Yes, I relate. I don't like competition. I'm not at all competitive by nature and I think I tend to see competition as some kind of conflict until I've had time to think it over and see that in fact all parties are friendly and on the same side. Competition in no way energizes me, quite the contrary.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I feel the same but I split it into 2 areas

Competition with other people is the biggest turn off I know. Especially if I think that competition is contrived.

And yet I feel driven when I am competing against something rather than someone - Driven to find the answer to something or to do something well.

Same drive - two totally different outcomes. - Alot of it boils down to values - I just want to cooperate and help build people not beat them.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Yep. I think this is a state that all feelers should be able to relate to :) Thinkers have to work through being able to accept and show their feelings for other people, be nice and cooperative to others without throwing up :p (i'm over-exaggerating of course). Feelers have to work through making competition or where you have to be mean to other people more acceptable to themselves.

For INFJs, our Fe and Ti are like in perpetual conflict but Fe usually wins out and tells the INFJ that competition is this distasteful unpleasant thing. It is alike thinkers' logic function telling them that emotions are just so repulsive. So when faced with competition we might have to withdraw and process it first (and thinkers of course have to withdraw to process their feelings). This conflict is a bit exacerbated by having Fe and Ti close to each other in functional ladder. In think MBTI types with dominant feeling function and inferior thinking, or dominant thinking and inferior feeling experience this type of internal antagonism less often just because their inferior function rarely comes in conflict with their dominant one. It is more alike their blindspot that only sometimes acts out for them. I don't think they pay as much attention to it as INxJ and ENxP types end up paying.

Whenever I started to develop my Ti more it has ganged up with my Ni and learned to trick my Fe into accepting competition. Through Ni function I have observed that there are people who really seem to enjoy being competitive. Not only that, but they also understand better and respect more other people who are also competitive and are likely to judge you negatively if you 'irrationally' opt out of competition. This is especially true when you are in company of T-types. T-types naturally like instances where people compete - why men one-up each other in conversation, like watching sports or action movies, or playing first person shooter games - most of them are Ts actually. Observing competitive interaction or participating themselves in it actually releases feel good chemicals in their brains. So then if I am competing against somebody like that I don't feel like it is wrong somehow.

But yes all instances of competition have to pass through my Fe filter and if I feel that they are improper somehow then I do not engage (and a Ni filter, of course, that points out that some competition is just useless and meaningless).

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
A lot of people say that competition brings out what's best in us and brings progress to our society, but I think that's a load of bull. Competition brings out the worst in people, from what I've observed. Violent riots over a sports game? Really?

Whenever competition enters into things, people eventually get ruder, more hostile, (in some cases) violent, etc. etc. etc. It's only a very small minority of the population that's capable of practicing a kind of civil competitiveness, and even then that's a kind of mind-set that's not supported/appreciated by competitive societies. It's the ruthless competitors that come out on top.

I was more competitive in things that interested me when I was younger, but I've noticed that competition brings out in me the kinds of things I've described above, and I find it disturbing. I'm starting to gravitate towards activities in which I'm the only participant.

For example, playing puzzle games is pretty great. Winning still feels good, but losing only means you haven't won yet :) Music and art are other examples - activities where you're not trying to 'beat' someone; the only challenge is improving yourself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I once heard someone say that compassion and competition are mutually exclusive. When I was in an occupation that required both I was constantly very tense to the point of finding it very dificuot to do my work properly.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I hate competition, even when it's "fun." When things turn competitive, my first instinct is to throw in the towel and move on to something else. Not sure why. I'm usually pretty good at whatever I put my mind to, so being good competition isn't a problem. Unless it's something I really, really want, I hate feeling pressured to perform. I think maybe it's because I have such high expectations for myself than adding other people's expectations to my own feels overwhelming. I am a perfectionist, sadly.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
If I'm competing with myself, it motivates me. If I'm on a team and we're competing against another team, it motivates me. But if I know the people I'm competing against and I feel it's them vs me and me vs them, I'm not a huge fan of that (because I think competition can breed conflict and I don't like person to person conflict).

Hopefully I'm making sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts