Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you feel like ridiculing those who talk in metaphors or about the "big picture?"

You know who I'm talking about. Those who "see" the underlying meaning, the big design in encompassing things, use metaphors in sentences, get interested in the timeless cycles of things.

Is your reaction "pffft," in those situations? Were you trying to ignore those sentences that made you feel like that since it seemed obvious and was not interesting? Did you see those people as boring? Did you sometimes feel like "a criticizing person" welled up in you and sometimes it did get released to the shock of them and the bystanders? Is that feeling connected to you criticizing people for lacking intelligence?

If you are trying to (or you tried in the past to) avoid showing people that part of yourselves, do you still feel that part well up in you when you are alone and does that make you think of people's shortcomings?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes. In these situations I notice myself finishing someone's sentence. If I can finish your sentence, i'm already looking forward to the conversation ending. I wouldn't say boring, just predictable initially and if our relationship continues in the future i'll grow to perceive them as shallow,transferable, and ultimately disposable. No its not welled up into me its right beside me. I don't think individuals who speak in the big picture are lacking intelligence because there are so many factors to intelligence beyond cognitive abilities.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,461 Posts
I think I understand what you mean, but I'm not entirely sure.

When I encounter such a person who is very open about speaking such things I can get grumpy, I think it's a mix of "welcome to the club, you think you're the first one?" and "I have no desire to participate in such a discussion right now".

I think it's me being very introverted about what I feel and think, there are people in my life, like my family who don't know any of that, I think my ENTP sister thinks I'm a simpleton as we rarely discuss anything of significance and also I like to consume a lot of fantasy stories like from TV or books but rarely discuss the actual depth to them (i.e. existentialism in science fiction) which in her eyes is just me not being grounded in reality. So anyway, that introversion can cause certain resentment at being misunderstood. I can't say it's a major problem for me, because the need for the introversion to exist surpasses the need to be understood as long as I have a few people who understand me (and I do). But it can come out at times.

Overall I think I *am* that person, I just don't express it easily and when I see others do it I sort of feel compelled/forced to show that side of me, but I also don't want to, so it turns into some kind of defensiveness by dismissing it/criticizing it. More often than not I will make legit criticism against what is being said, and I do enjoy participating in such discussions, but IRL when it catches me off guard I will have the tendency to not engage unless I know I'm in good company and feeling comfortable enough to open.

Whether I find something stupid or boring depends on the individual case so I don't know how to respond to that question.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I'm confused by your question.

It seems you take MBTI very literally. In the language of MBTI, Ne IS "big picture" and endless possibilities. Ne loves metaphors. Ne sees the interconnectedness of everything and the whole "butterfly wings=hurricane" idea in the way the world works.

Since Ne is the first extroverted function in INFP's stack, then Ne is how most OTHER people first perceive us, which is why more outspoken INFPs are likely to be confused for thinkers, in fact may be confused for INTJ (I believe entheos mentioned this elsewhere) or INTP (as others have expressed).

Fi is of course our dominant function but Fi expresses poorly and is only expressed to those people we trust. Most INFPs (again if you are going to be an MBTI stickler) have a trusted person list that hovers around 2. Seriously.

So we express ourselves through Ne which is big picture and is metaphor. Why would that be annoying? Those are the conversations we actually like. Many INFPs are pretty verbal in certain situations but we don't like talking about people or feelings so much as ideas.

It's getting bogged down in the details that we tend to hate. Which is what I think you are describing in the second part of your question, but not in the first part and not in the title.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Uhm, I think most people actually don't talk about big questions and thos who are not likeminded don't get the metaphors or even simple language I would use casually. People tend to be engaged in small talk a lot and talk about boring experiences. When they talk about politics they never talk about the root of the problem while I think about it and get bored and tired by their conversation and do a inner facepalm.
Yes, when people then suddenly point out the big picture what they say is very obvious to me but somehow the rest of what you describe does not seem to apply to me but I am actually not sure if I understand you correctly.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Uhm, I think most people actually don't talk about big questions and thos who are not likeminded don't get the metaphors or even simple language I would use casually. People tend to be engaged in small talk a lot and talk about boring experiences. When they talk about politics they never talk about the root of the problem while I think about it and get bored and tired by their conversation and do a inner facepalm.
Yes, when people then suddenly point out the big picture what they say is very obvious to me but somehow the rest of what you describe does not seem to apply to me but I am actually not sure if I understand you correctly.
Yes. People talk about tiny little things and miss the big picture or underlying cause. It’s the big picture conversations that I love but most people miss the point or get lost or bored so I don’t even try.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Yes. People talk about tiny little things and miss the big picture or underlying cause. It’s the big picture conversations that I love but most people miss the point or get lost or bored so I don’t even try.
This reminds me of how I once compared the evil nation of a cartoon to a country in the real world. It was quite a banal conversation of at least three people. When I mentioned that suddenly everyone looked so irritated! I wondered if they either couldn't agree and found my opinion strange or they just couldn't connect the slightest with what I said and found it weird.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
This reminds me of how I once compared the evil nation of a cartoon to a country in the real world. It was quite a banal conversation of at least three people. When I mentioned that suddenly everyone looked so irritated! I wondered if they either couldn't agree and found my opinion strange or they just couldn't connect the slightest with what I said and found it weird.
I’ve been there! I’ve learned to use analogies that people relate to and sometimes I think people get annoyed because the analogy can make them see the problems with their own ideas. No one likes that.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,461 Posts
Speaking in metaphors is innate for all introverted intuitives, Jung spoke of this in an interview, it's on YT.
ENs will also entertain such talk but they're not as likely initiate it. They are more versatile.
Generally, a good idea to discern if your company is N is to see if your metaphors fall flat. Not foolproof, but a good pointer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would like to point out that OP is an INTJ...
That being said, I can relate somewhat. Yes, INFP is "big picture" oriented, but I can definitely get irritated or arrogant when people think they are talking about the big picture or something deep, when in reality it's a very obvious statement and not deep at all.
It's irritating when people get congratulated on having a deep thought when it's old news to you. It's almost insulting to my own actual depth :frustrating: It's one of the few situations as an INFP that I feel superior to other people. It upsets me that I feel like that sometimes buuuut *shrug*

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,461 Posts
That being said, I can relate somewhat. Yes, INFP is "big picture" oriented, but I can definitely get irritated or arrogant when people think they are talking about the big picture or something deep, when in reality it's a very obvious statement and not deep at all.
It's irritating when people get congratulated on having a deep thought when it's old news to you. It's almost insulting to my own actual depth :frustrating: It's one of the few situations as an INFP that I feel superior to other people. It upsets me that I feel like that sometimes buuuut *shrug*
yea he hangs out here and likes to ask us stuff xD

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
THE FIRE NATION???
NAZI GERMANY???

I just couldn't help myself.

I just had to, the second I read this:

This reminds me of how I once compared the evil nation of a cartoon to a country in the real world.
I INSTANTLY got that picture in my mind, whew! :blushed:

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I was a lil confused and it was a bit unclear to me what the OP was talking about... but it makes senses if he meant the sort of thing you said above, and I was kinda guessing maybe that's what he meant. Like for me a similar thing I think happens w/ talking about politics. I see politics very much in sociological terms, being liberal or conservative I see more a matter of rooting for your home team than anything else, and I see a lot of BS in politics that others seem to be blind and ignorant of, such that the US is hardly democratic, and calling it a democracy and promoting democracy is largely BS propoganda similar to the communist ideals used as propoganda in Russia etc. ...most people seem just ignorant and compliant like sheep... but people who talk people being "sheep" are almost worse because they tend to believe in some imaginary archetypal projection of puppet masters running things and they tend to be even more ignorant and out of touch w/ reality than the supposed "sheep".

I do desire very much to find people I can talk to about politics that think for themselves... but then people who talk about "sheeple" end up being some shallow ignorant, dumb cartoonish version of what I'm looking for. It makes me cringe when people call other people sheep, because they seem even dumber and more ignorant to me than the "sheep". I'm guessing the OP is experiencing the same sort of thing, where they want to find people to talk to about bigger picture ideas but people who actually brag about "seeing the bigger picture" usually aren't actually seeing the bigger picture and are just some shallow 2-D caricature of what they're looking for and that's very aggravating to them.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
yea he hangs out here and likes to ask us stuff xD
And he's been going down the "function stack" so I think he's trying to get to Te. :confused: Because the INFP stereotype is that we use Te when we feel frustrated or impatient or overwhelmed and since we don't use it often (stereotypically) we can be blunt and judgmental, and since we are not normally that way it shocks people.

At least I think that's where he was headed.

But the setup about metaphors and big picture threw me because we are good at that and tend to like weird jokes and wordplay and thinking about the underpinnings of things. It's when people go on about minutiae that I am likely to just stop following and nod and smile and inwardly roll my eyes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was a lil confused and it was a bit unclear to me what the OP was talking about... but it makes senses if he meant the sort of thing you said above, and I was kinda guessing maybe that's what he meant. Like for me a similar thing I think happens w/ talking about politics. I see politics very much in sociological terms, being liberal or conservative I see more a matter of rooting for your home team than anything else, and I see a lot of BS in politics that others seem to be blind and ignorant of, such that the US is hardly democratic, and calling it a democracy and promoting democracy is largely BS propoganda similar to the communist ideals used as propoganda in Russia etc. ...most people seem just ignorant and compliant like sheep... but people who talk people being "sheep" are almost worse because they tend to believe in some imaginary archetypal projection of puppet masters running things and they tend to be even more ignorant and out of touch w/ reality than the supposed "sheep".

I do desire very much to find people I can talk to about politics that think for themselves... but then people who talk about "sheeple" end up being some shallow ignorant, dumb cartoonish version of what I'm looking for. It makes me cringe when people call other people sheep, because they seem even dumber and more ignorant to me than the "sheep". I'm guessing the OP is experiencing the same sort of thing, where they want to find people to talk to about bigger picture ideas but people who actually brag about "seeing the bigger picture" usually aren't actually seeing the bigger picture and are just some shallow 2-D caricature of what they're looking for and that's very aggravating to them.
I am SO not a political person and I do my best to avoid discussions about it. I like discussing specific issues to an extent, but actual policies and politicians (if someone says "Trump" I have to walk away immediately) are off-limits for me.

I agree with you though. Political parties are EXACTLY like sports teams. Although, I must say (at the risk of being ridiculed by you) I do find my mother's conspiracy theories about hidden knowledge and the Illuminati interesting. Ultimately though, I think that the things people tend to focus on and blame for the problems in the world/U.S. (such as the politicians or political parties themselves) are not to blame and keep everyone from making any sort of progress. If we look at the big business owners, though......

·
Edgelord
INFP 5w4 - ILI - Chaotic Good
6,942 Posts
I'll ridicule anyone who looks "tfw to inteligent xdxdxdddd"

Reactions: crazitaco

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Since Ne is the first extroverted function in INFP's stack, then Ne is how most OTHER people first perceive us, which is why more outspoken INFPs are likely to be confused for thinkers, in fact may be confused for INTJ (I believe entheos mentioned this elsewhere) or INTP (as others have expressed).

Fi is of course our dominant function but Fi expresses poorly and is only expressed to those people we trust. Most INFPs (again if you are going to be an MBTI stickler) have a trusted person list that hovers around 2. Seriously.
I agree w/ that. I have a friend who seems to me very INFP... but if I didn't know him better and didn't know other INTPs to compare him to, I could see him coming across very much as an INTP. In conversation he can be very technical and can articulate Ne ideas and such in away that can makes him appear INTP... and Fi isn't something as easily immediately visible, but it definitely leads him. He's very emotionally senstive and his outlooks are always lead by feeling .. it is obvious that he's a feeler but at the same time he has strong Ne that he's not hesitant to flex that can make him look more like a thinker.

I feel like there's kinda a dichotomy among INFPs ( and also every other type) where some are more outspoken, and others are more hesitant to talk and more reserved.

(I feel that I'm more on the reserved side for an ENTP.. which is still prob more talkative than most introverts)

I feel like I tend to get along well with INFPs, but it can be a bit of struggle when the INFPs is more reserved and hesitant to open up.

Like for example I briefly dated a girl who I believe was INFP and she would open up some about ideas and feelings and such, but when we'd have conversations she'd be hesitant and slow to respond to things I had to say and so while she might open up and share some things with me, if the conversation went on I'd end up feeling like I'm the only one talking, which isn't fun for me, and I'd guess isn't fun for the other person either.

What Red Panda mentioned her, made me think of that girl I dated.
When I encounter such a person who is very open about speaking such things I can get grumpy, I think it's a mix of "welcome to the club, you think you're the first one?" and "I have no desire to participate in such a discussion right now".

I think it's me being very introverted about what I feel and think, there are people in my life, like my family who don't know any of that, I think my ENTP sister thinks I'm a simpleton as we rarely discuss anything of significance and also I like to consume a lot of fantasy stories like from TV or books but rarely discuss the actual depth to them (i.e. existentialism in science fiction) which in her eyes is just me not being grounded in reality. So anyway, that introversion can cause certain resentment at being misunderstood. I can't say it's a major problem for me, because the need for the introversion to exist surpasses the need to be understood as long as I have a few people who understand me (and I do). But it can come out at times.

Overall I think I *am* that person, I just don't express it easily and when I see others do it I sort of feel compelled/forced to show that side of me, but I also don't want to, so it turns into some kind of defensiveness by dismissing it/criticizing it. More often than not I will make legit criticism against what is being said, and I do enjoy participating in such discussions, but IRL when it catches me off guard I will have the tendency to not engage unless I know I'm in good company and feeling comfortable enough to open.

I wonder if it's more common that guy INFPs tend to come across more as talkative INT- ish whereas girls tend to be more reserved since culture promotes that.

In either case INFPs have always felt to me like you guys require building trust and having patience to get you guys to open much more than others ... I'm guessing part of the problem may be me being one of the ones claiming to "see the big picture" and getting dismissed w/ attitudes like mix of "welcome to the club, you think you're the first one?" and "I have no desire to participate in such a discussion right now".

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,461 Posts
I wonder if it's more common that guy INFPs tend to come across more as talkative INT- ish whereas girls tend to be more reserved since culture promotes that.

In either case INFPs have always felt to me like you guys require building trust and having patience to get you guys to open much more than others ... I'm guessing part of the problem may be me being one of the ones claiming to "see the big picture" and getting dismissed w/ attitudes like mix of "welcome to the club, you think you're the first one?" and "I have no desire to participate in such a discussion right now".
It's possible, I've met an INFP guy and he didn't seem very INFPish, but he was also an engineer. When I do talk, it tends to be in an INT manner because if I let out the Fi it feels too vulnerable. Only with my partner and a couple other people do I let it out. My mannerisms and expressions are probably what betray Fi domness rather than what I actually say.

The reluctance comes in part because in the past when I tried to open, I was met with ridicule or other negative reactions, I'm talking young ages now, kids. I suspect it's why social anxiety is common in INFPs, if what I describe here is how other INFPs work too. Opening up to the wrong people sticks.

When I see someone who does it with more ease, I feel a little resentment and it can come out in harshness. It doesn't rule my life or anything, but it happens. Even worse if they try to prod me into participating, then I might turn to jest and layers of sarcasm that give them the wrong idea and create misunderstandings.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts