Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many people live each day, doing the same thing, with the same people and that's okay with them, but the thought of this SCARES me! I know I'm different than other people and I can't escape this so called feeling that I have.

I used to really feel like I was "meant" for something great. I couldn't imagine how people can possibly go through their lives working at some pointless 9:00-5:00, squeeze out a couple of kids and call it a day (or a life).

·
Registered
999 Posts
Be careful, you're starting to sound like an INTP, or any of the NP's for that matter. I've felt this every day of my life and it's good to see that NP's aren't the only ones.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
Yea, i know what you mean. Apparently Im an NP as well. Being married to a job aint my style. Im in the process of building myself a future full of a lot of job options. Everything that I study can be applied across manu different fields. While I too dont understand how people maintain their sanity doing the same job everday for, say 30 years, i wont knock em too hard since someone has to do it

·
Registered
646 Posts
I feel like I'm struggling with this now... My problem is I do feel like I am meant for more, but I am not sure where that ends. I like my career but if I could go back and re-do things I would change it. It makes me concerned that there will be a day that I will regret my choices. I'm struggling with how to make sure this doesn't happen to me, if I could only see into the future. Sometimes I have a lot of thoughts running through my head and have a hard time sorting them out to making sense of them. Hmmm, pondering.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
I feel like I'm struggling with this now... My problem is I do feel like I am meant for more, but I am not sure where that ends. I like my career but if I could go back and re-do things I would change it. It makes me concerned that there will be a day that I will regret my choices. I'm struggling with how to make sure this doesn't happen to me, if I could only see into the future. Sometimes I have a lot of thoughts running through my head and have a hard time sorting them out to making sense of them. Hmmm, pondering.
Where the hell did your can do attitude go?

Unless youre 90, your life is far from over.

Loving your job doesnt mean you cant focus some on your on pursuing other things. I say stop limiting yourself and go for it.

Note: i did not read other responses before this, so if there is a chance I could be talking out of my ass, please ignore this comment. I am on a phone and too lazy to look at the previous comments but felt the need to respond when it came up in my email.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Which is it: "I am meant for more" or "I can do more"
If you forfeit your purpose to what you believe as a higher powers intention the first one makes sense.
I don't accept it however.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Where the hell did your can do attitude go?

Unless youre 90, your life is far from over.

Loving your job doesnt mean you cant focus some on your on pursuing other things. I say stop limiting yourself and go for it.

Note: i did not read other responses before this, so if there is a chance I could be talking out of my ass, please ignore this comment. I am on a phone and too lazy to look at the previous comments but felt the need to respond when it came up in my email.
Well I feel special that you took the time to respond to me then ;) And no I'm not 90 (86 and a half actually). I know I can focus on other things, I am just making sure that whatever it is that I decide is right that I don't end up regretting. Am I making sense? I tend to not be clear sometimes, haha. I just see my career now as a stepping stone to bigger better.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
Well I feel special that you took the time to respond to me then ;) And no I'm not 90 (86 and a half actually). I know I can focus on other things, I am just making sure that whatever it is that I decide is right that I don't end up regretting. Am I making sense? I tend to not be clear sometimes, haha. I just see my career now as a stepping stone to bigger better.
So the desire is there to try something else out but you like your current career so much that you don't want to harm it by misplacing your focus on something else OR do you like your current career but feel like if you don't try something else new now, you might have missed your chance forever?

Crap now you're confusing me causing me to confuse you, it seems.

·
Registered
646 Posts
So the desire is there to try something else out but you like your current career so much that you don't want to harm it by misplacing your focus on something else OR do you like your current career but feel like if you don't try something else new now, you might have missed your chance forever?

Crap now you're confusing me causing me to confuse you, it seems.
More of the latter. I am ok with what I am doing, but I want to male sure that when I'm 50 I won't regret not going after something else that I may enjoy and would be really good at. :)

You're confusing me confusing you confusing me, I think... Wait what does that even mean?

Reactions: Miss Scarlet

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
More of the latter. I am ok with what I am doing, but I want to male sure that when I'm 50 I won't regret not going after something else that I may enjoy and would be really good at. :)

You're confusing me confusing you confusing me, I think... Wait what does that even mean?
So what is it that you want to do then?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I can get like this. Its the reason I could never go into a career that has me doing the same repetitive task for 40 some years before I retire... like a pharmacist or a dentist.

I need to have an element of problem solving, critical thinking, and growth. I want to see the whole/big picture - not just one cog in a big machine. I want to champion change and lead people into the unknown. This is probably why I'm in the field I am (consulting). Projects change frequently so it feels like a refreshing change with new people, problems, goals, etc and the experience snowballs so that I feel like every project I'm more effective than the last.

However, the work my clients do is unattractive to me - the routine 9-5 job with nothing new to learn or no growth to experience. They literally do the same thing over and over again until they get too old to do it. Might as well replace them with a machine (which I kinda do in a way).

·
Registered
646 Posts
So what is it that you want to do then?
I think if I could go back and re-do college I would go to be a MD. I think I would enjoy that and its kind of a respected position.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I think if I could go back and re-do college I would go to be a MD. I think I would enjoy that and its kind of a respected position.
So when you prescribe patient's medication and they don't take it as ordered, or when they do destructive things that are declining their health, yet they just keep saying you're not doing a good job at "fixing them", it wouldn't irritate the crap out of you?

People who tell you "I read on the Internet" as they challenge your diagnosis?

People who tell you "I've tried that" in response to everything you suggest?

People who don't want to help themselves, but EXPECT their issues to be a priority to you?

That is just a taster of what you'd deal with as a MD.

Oh and not to mention! Being called after hours for ridiculous things like "my nose has been running for 3 days".

·
Registered
646 Posts
So when you prescribe patient's medication and they don't take it as ordered, or when they do destructive things that are declining their health, yet they just keep saying you're not doing a good job at "fixing them", it wouldn't irritate the crap out of you?

People who tell you "I read on the Internet" as they challenge your diagnosis?

People who tell you "I've tried that" in response to everything you suggest?

People who don't want to help themselves, but EXPECT their issues to be a priority to you?

That is just a taster of what you'd deal with as a MD.
That's true. But I wouldn't have a hard time telling a patient that if they aren't going to take the prescribed meds or listen to my diagnosis to go somewhere else. I would see them as a waste of my time and it wouldn't bother me. If people were coming to me and then challenging what I'm telling them or not following prescribed guidelines, then why are they coming to me at all? I would tell them, ok since you know what to do and how to do it, then do it. Save your money coming to me and treat yourself.

I understand what you're saying and I'm not saying the job wouldn't come with its challenges, but I just think it would be something that I would like. But, maybe I wouldn't :)

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
That's true. But I wouldn't have a hard time telling a patient that if they aren't going to take the prescribed meds or listen to my diagnosis to go somewhere else. I would see them as a waste of my time and it wouldn't bother me. If people were coming to me and then challenging what I'm telling them or not following prescribed guidelines, then why are they coming to me at all? I would tell them, ok since you know what to do and how to do it, then do it. Save your money coming to me and treat yourself.

I understand what you're saying and I'm not saying the job wouldn't come with its challenges, but I just think it would be something that I would like. But, maybe I wouldn't :)
But then you would have no patients :) People do not like being held accountable for their actions....instead, they want a diagnosis to hide behind. They want the Dr. who will coddle them and tell them "you can't help it, because you have________". Of course, not everyone is like this, but there are a ton of people like this.

Also, asking "why are you coming to me?" is something people in healthcare ask constantly! I couldnt stand it when I had to watch a patient on a low sodium diet like a hawk, because they have family bring them in McDonalds....while they are recieving IV diuretics for CHF. Why the hell did you even bother coming to the hospital?

Or the patient who gets angry when they can't go home right away because the Dr. ordered a bunch of tests. Why did you go to the ER because of your chest pains if you don't want them to check everything to be sure? It happens CONSTANTLY.

The most frustrating part sometimes...you have to maintain professionalism and "niceness" even with those people.

·
Registered
646 Posts
But then you would have no patients :) People do not like being held accountable for their actions....instead, they want a diagnosis to hide behind. They want the Dr. who will coddle them and tell them "you can't help it, because you have________". Of course, not everyone is like this, but there are a ton of people like this.

Also, asking "why are you coming to me?" is something people in healthcare ask constantly! I couldnt stand it when I had to watch a patient on a low sodium diet like a hawk, because they have family bring them in McDonalds....while they are recieving IV diuretics for CHF. Why the hell did you even bother coming to the hospital?

Or the patient who gets angry when they can't go home right away because the Dr. ordered a bunch of tests. Why did you go to the ER because of your chest pains if you don't want them to check everything to be sure? It happens CONSTANTLY.

The most frustrating part sometimes...you have to maintain professionalism and "niceness" even with those people.
I don't know that's true. I think people would respect you for being honest and not beating around the bush (at least I would). I would want a Dr to tell me "do this or this..." It makes it clear as to what needs to be done. If the person needed to be held responsible for their medical issue I would tell them so.

I agree this wouldn't sit well with a lot of people because they feel entitled and don't want to think that they can be the cause of their own issues. Maybe you're right it, may not be the ideal job for someone who has little patience for someone not following instructions. I'm not even saying this is absolutely what I would do, its just an option in my bag of options.

Reactions: Enfpleasantly
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.