Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I felt that especially strongly when I was younger, when the people who surrounded me were not so much friends as just peers and acquaintances at school. I had a best friend at one point, but we drifted apart after we entered our teenage years -- which was when I stopped relating to other kids my age, for the most part.

I guess I do still feel it somewhat now as well, yeah... but possibly not as acutely, simply because I'm not very close to too many people, and because I'm quite introverted and spend most of my time at home. (And even when I'm not at home, I'm still usually in my own little la-la land in my head, haha.) I can count on one hand the number of genuine friends I feel like I have. Those who I am close to are people I've "chosen" because of how much we have in common and how much I feel that we can genuinely connect. That said... yeah, I often still feel pretty different from even those few people, haha -- so I do get where you're coming from. I've always been very different from almost everyone else I've come across in life thus far, and I've been very aware of it at times. Makes for quite a lot of loneliness...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, I do. It worries me a lot. Sometimes I feel guilty about it, I blame myself for not appreciating their friendship. The thing is, I'm still waiting for someone who can understand me fully and know me like no one does. I'm sure I haven't met that person yet. Also, my friends are very logical and somewhat reserved, I often feel misunderstood and ashamed when it comes to showing them my emotions. They simply can't handle me the way I'd like to be handled. I can't blame them for that - the truth is I created a persona who is braver than me, livelier than me, more sociable than me, and I think that at this point of the relationship it's impossible to change my behaviour without them feeling confused etc.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I feel that way often, too. I usually have a lot of interests different from that of my friends. However, I get very attached to people and that seems to make up for the differences.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Nah, I have enough in common for us to be friends in the first place. Since I spend more time away from them though I've diverged recently into this more philosophical state of being which makes relating a little more difficult. To answer your questions, I have stuff in common with all my friends.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I do have things in common with them, that's how we get to be friends, by bonding over common interests. The issue isn't whether or not we have shared interests because then I wouldn't befriend them in the first place, but more how I still manage to feel out of place, like an outsider. I don't think I've ever truly felt like I belonged.. which is why I seek one on one friendships. It diminishes that feeling of not fitting in, whereas in a group, it always ends up being the case.

Basically, I feel like while my friends know how I am in general, what I like and dislike, and are able to sometimes anticipate how I'd react to some things, they still don't know me truly.

Like @Aleksandra, what I long for is someone who understands me completely. Someone who knows me inside out and still accepts me and loves me.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I do. It worries me a lot. Sometimes I feel guilty about it, I blame myself for not appreciating their friendship. The thing is, I'm still waiting for someone who can understand me fully and know me like no one does. I'm sure I haven't met that person yet. Also, my friends are very logical and somewhat reserved, I often feel misunderstood and ashamed when it comes to showing them my emotions. They simply can't handle me the way I'd like to be handled. I can't blame them for that - the truth is I created a persona who is braver than me, livelier than me, more sociable than me, and I think that at this point of the relationship it's impossible to change my behaviour without them feeling confused etc.
I feel like you do as well, but a little reversed. I'm very logical and rational, and I hide my emotions often, so when they do come out (usually in an outburst, because inferior Fe is awesome like that) no one knows what to do. And on one hand, I'm lucky that most of my friends are introverted, but I'm the most extraverted out of all my close friends. So sometimes I do want to go out and stay out for a while, and they're like "Mehh let's be home by 9." And being an introvert/not outgoing myself, I find it awkward to ask my more extraverted acquaintances to go out and do something.

I too long desperately for someone to understand me. I'm very complex; people who don't know me really well know enough to know that.
I do have things in common with them, that's how we get to be friends, by bonding over common interests. The issue isn't whether or not we have shared interests because then I wouldn't befriend them in the first place, but more how I still manage to feel out of place, like an outsider. I don't think I've ever truly felt like I belonged.. which is why I seek one on one friendships. It diminishes that feeling of not fitting in, whereas in a group, it always ends up being the case.

Basically, I feel like while my friends know how I am in general, what I like and dislike, and are able to sometimes anticipate how I'd react to some things, they still don't know me truly.

Like @Aleksandra, what I long for is someone who understands me completely. Someone who knows me inside out and still accepts me and loves me.
I have things in common with all my friends, but not really most things. And I too feel like an outsider almost all the time, to the point where I am surprised if I'm not the one who is left out of things.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Yes.

I feel like I have some things in common with all of them, but it almost feels like grasping at straws with a few of them. ("Oh! You eat food everyday too? We're like twins!")

I'm trying to learn to be okay with it and to stop always looking for someone who would have more in common with me and start appreciating these friends who have been so so so good to me, regardless of our differing tastes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, yes, yes. However, if I did have much in common with them, then it would take away from my individuality. I wouldn't want that to happen, would I?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Except for two to four people, I haven't had much in common with the people I've spent time with. Generally there were some shared interests, but things were superficial more or less. This was sometime due to the other person and sometimes me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts